Lockyer says ban lifting tackles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not long after Turvey has said change the ten meter rule another former champ Darren Lockyer has said they should ban lifting tackles after the McKinnon tackle went wrong.
We can't keep changing the rules so nobody gets hurt, bring back the shoulder charge so the game is played like it's supposed to be played, the rules have been edited so much it is nothing like it was twenty years ago and everybody got on fine.
They can't keep changing everything every year.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When guys like Lockyer and Turvey are advocating changes, you can be pretty sure something is going to happen. Then you get guys like Dr John Yeo from Royal North Shore saying things like this:

"Rugby league is, by allowing the multiple tackle, allowing an unacceptable risk to players - both adult and in children," Dr Yeo said.

"I would say, 'Look, find another team sport,' until I was satisfied that the rules themselves were protecting the player - the young player particularly'.

"The multiple tackle to me is too dangerous for people to play, particularly when they reach their teens and later.

"When that's changed, then I would encourage young people to move on into the senior game and play the game and enjoy it, but only when the rule is changed."

That from an ABC lateline article. I can't see the NRL going anywhere near this level of crackdown, but they will have to do something. It wouldn't surprise if McLean gets a stiff punishment, regardless of whether people feel it is fair or not. The most likely target in terms of rules is the lifting aspect in tackles. Expect it to get a more serious punishment from now on. They don't really have much choice on the matter, they are supposed to be custodians of the game, and if they aren't seen to do something serious in response to the very sad and unfortunate incident in the Knights-Storm match, the code will inevitably start copping more flak from numerous quarters.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats the game, if you don't like it, don't play it.
We cannot allow League to become a politically correct game of touch dictated by doctors because thats where it's headed and putting entry prices up to see a granny friendly game will not work.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There have just been so many knee jerk reactions over this incident. People need to calm down and take a step back before making any rash comments or rule changes.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Banning the shoulder charge was the single worst change I have seen implicated in the game.

I was and still am devastated about it.

From memory that was brought in after the Inglis incident and a few others.

In my opinion that was a knee-jerk reaction and wouldn't be surprised if there was another similar reaction to this scenario.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How many spinal and neck injuries does gridiron have?

Maybe they are onto something with the helmets and shoulder pads?!?!

silva

Utility
Reaction score
At this rate the game will be obsolete in 10 years and theyl be playing touch

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I also reckon more players should wear headgear, maybe even mandatory for halves and backs one day but banning certain things outright instead of saying things like 'no head contact' is wrong.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The shoulder charge ban is an interesting one, two observations:

1. The authorities introduced it, despite being howled down by the majority of players and fans, it was put in place. Don't be under any illusions concerning what they might do in response (call it knee-jerk if you want) to the McKinnon injury.
2. Is it just me or is there more swinging arms to the head this season? The way the law against shoulder charges is written, guys who brace for impact in defense without moving their arms enough are getting pinged for a shoulder charge. If this is true it may mean that we are seeing more concussions and head knocks from swinging arms than we would have in the past, due to guys trying to be effective in defense without risking a ban for making contact with the shoulder and not moving their arm(s) enough in the tackle.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Injuries are part the risk involved with playing sport. If a person doesn't want to run that risk then it simple don't play sport.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I also reckon more players should wear headgear, maybe even mandatory for halves and backs one day but banning certain things outright instead of saying things like 'no head contact' is wrong.
Why wear headgear? The only thing it prevents are minor cuts to the head.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why wear headgear? The only thing it prevents are minor cuts to the head.
Concussion is a big thing, especially when some ex players feel brain damaged and if they are knocked out they have to sit out the following week.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Injuries are part the risk involved with playing sport. If a person doesn't want to run that risk then it simple don't play sport.
Chicha, your argument is going to get further if it doesn't rely on dichotomous reasoning. You won't find anyone who is advocating for changes that help protect against serious neck injury arguing that people shouldn't have to risk injury by being involved in sport.

This is all about degrees; to what degree is risk acceptable? Only a complete moron would expect a sport like RL to come without risk of injury. You don't see anyone advocating for changes to help prevent broken bones, torn ligaments, compound fractures, or cuts to the head do you? Even the new concussion laws themselves are an acknowledgement that concussions are going to happen, they don't try to prevent them happening, they are an effort to stop the worst possible results of concussions.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The shoulder charge ban is an interesting one, two observations:

1. The authorities introduced it, despite being howled down by the majority of players and fans, it was put in place. Don't be under any illusions concerning what they might do in response (call it knee-jerk if you want) to the McKinnon injury.
2. Is it just me or is there more swinging arms to the head this season? The way the law against shoulder charges is written, guys who brace for impact in defense without moving their arms enough are getting pinged for a shoulder charge. If this is true it may mean that we are seeing more concussions and head knocks from swinging arms than we would have in the past, due to guys trying to be effective in defense without risking a ban for making contact with the shoulder and not moving their arm(s) enough in the tackle.
I mentioned that as well that I've seen more head highs and swinging arms since the shoulder charge has been gone.

Regarding injuries, we have how many thousand tackles every week in league? The ratio of injury is incredibly low

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many spinal and neck injuries does gridiron have?

Maybe they are onto something with the helmets and shoulder pads?!?!
It's had some shockers.

Eric LeGrand (Rutgers University) is in a wheelchair for life.
Curtis Williams (University of Washington) was in a wheelchair for life, but died at the age of 24.
Al Lucas (Arena League's Los Angeles Avengers and ex-Dallas Cowboys) died on the field after a spinal injury.
Kevin Everett (Buffalo Bills) is still learning to walk again 7 years after his injury.
Reggie Brown (Detroit Lions) was told he'd never walk again, but eventually did.
Mike Utley (Detroit Lions) is in a wheelchair for life.

These are ones that spring to mind from following NFL and NCAA Football for about 25 years. Whatever the answer is, it sure as hell is not what American Football is doing. (In fairness to US sports, many of these were on kickoffs and special teams plays and they are discussing eliminating kickoffs in the interests of injury prevention).

Keep in mind that the NRL hasn't had one this bad since the 1970s.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In 1905 23 College students died playing American Football. This was in the days before they wore protective equipment.

col of birchmen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL- the only professional sport that is comfortable changing major rules in the middle of a season.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
NRL- the only professional sport that is comfortable changing major rules in the middle of a season.
Doesn't the law concerning over the horizontal already exist? They'd be able to crack down on that without making major changes, which is probably why this option is the front runner. Can't see them going after "gang" tackles or changing the 10 metre rule tbh.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I am fine with them banning lifting tackles. Teams only do it to slow the game down anyway.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's had some shockers.
Kevin Everett (Buffalo Bills) is still learning to walk again 7 years after his injury.
This was the type of injury directly attributable to wearing helmets. Nothing like this would ever happen in League.

[video=youtube;9SoDPFhT-u8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SoDPFhT-u8[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.