Lockyer 72 hours to late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Before I start, I should declare that it is 2.00am in the mornng and I have been drinking since 5.00pm yesterday.

I have just got home from seeing the Broncos give it to the Bulldog and must ask FFS, why the **** didn't Lockyer play like that on Wednesday night.

If he had, then the result may well have been different. But no he save it until 3 days after the Origin to turn in a blinder.

Dog-E

Purebreed
Reaction score
Brissy Bulldog said:
why the **** didn't Lockyer play like that on Wednesday night.
Because NSW didn't stand back and let him.

They got up in his face and knocked the **** out of him! Like we should have.

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
^
yeh pretty much right, also he was given much more room to work with, (meaning his forwards were getting him some roll-on and 2nd phase)

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
Its not just NSW didn't let him. He could have played like that wednesday night.

Last night, Locky had Hunt and Perry to take pressure off him. He was much more relaxed and could put his hand up when we wanted to, and felt like he could create something. Wed night, QLD continuously went to Locky, he had too much pressure on him, Thurston needed to step up and take the pressure off Locky.

And yes the forwards Wed night didnt' do enough to give him room to move.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
no offence to all the Lockyer fans but he hasnt been the same for years.. hes getting old and loosing his touch..

last night when he ran all over the dogs is obviously an exception

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
And the game against eels round 3, oh and the dragons game, and all the other games that BRoncos have won this year that Locky has played well in. Are they all exceptions too? THe only way he hasn't ben teh same since FB, is his consistency. He doesnt have it. He may have a good batch of games, then some crap ones. Atm he is in a good batch :grinning: He has been since about round 3 this year.

Locky has been in fantastic form (bar rd 1) this year for Broncos, no doubting that. SOme of his best career form imo.

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
BulldogStar said:
no offence to all the Lockyer fans but he hasnt been the same for years.. hes getting old and loosing his touch..

last night when he ran all over the dogs is obviously an exception
that may be arguably so, but if you've seen all the Broncos matches of recent years, the number of wins we scrape just off the back of lockyer is many. Trsut me, there are times where Broncos look so ordinary, and we win games than we are meant to lose because of this man.

But admittedly the argument goes 2 ways, we also put ourselves in a position to win an important match and Lockyer has failed to deliver on quite a few occasions also.

In conclusion though, Broncos have scraped some very close wins off the back of this bloke and will continue to do so.

QLD is a different story. Different story different team, I'm the first to say abysmal performance by him for game 1, but a much more abysmal performance in the forwards... relative to NSW of course.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
QLDGirl said:
And the game against eels round 3, oh and the dragons game, and all the other games that BRoncos have won this year that Locky has played well in. Are they all exceptions too? THe only way he hasn't ben teh same since FB, is his consistency. He doesnt have it. He may have a good batch of games, then some crap ones. Atm he is in a good batch :grinning: He has been since about round 3 this year.

Locky has been in fantastic form (bar rd 1) this year for Broncos, no doubting that. SOme of his best career form imo.
This is all well and good to say but I will be more interested in how he performs at the beginning of August through September. We all know he can pull it out in early rounds but he has not turned it on beyond round 20 for many years.

This is a time when the truly great players can stand and be counted. Lockyer is yet to do this.

F R 3 D 5 7 A

√ [ό] √
Reaction score
Lockyer goes missing in big time pressure matches - in the 5/8th role i mean.

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
steve_mortimer said:
This is all well and good to say but I will be more interested in how he performs at the beginning of August through September. We all know he can pull it out in early rounds but he has not turned it on beyond round 20 for many years.

This is a time when the truly great players can stand and be counted. Lockyer is yet to do this.
He definietly hasnt since his swtich to 6. I'm not trying to make excuses here but he had horrid preparations entering the 04 and 05 finals series... (04 was his first year at 6)... I may be wrong, but according the memory in 04 his first finals game was his actual first game back from a month+ injury, and he also entered the 05 series after coming back from an injury also, obviously not the best preparation going into finals footy, as history and stats show, its the team that goes into the finals series with momentum that goes well (ala tigers last yr)

In saying that, the stage was still set up for him but he didnt grab it with two hands so to speak... but i would like to see the Broncos not just lockyer, the Broncos enter the final series with some sort of form and momentum, as we havent done that since 2000.

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
steve_mortimer said:

We're not a one man team though, we're not going to just rely on Locky. Its when we try to be a one man team that we lose, its when we just rely on Locky we lose. Thats why we suck so much finals time, because thats all they do, is rely on Locky. Its teh whole team that has to make an effort finals time.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Judging by media up here today, it would appear that his good game on Saturday won't be enough to keep him in the QLD no 6.

There appears to be a very strong push for Prince to half, Thurston to 5/8 and Lockyer to fullback. Bowen would be out .. or maybe on the wing with Bell to the centres to replace Hodges.

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
Brissy Bulldog said:
Judging by media up here today, it would appear that his good game on Saturday won't be enough to keep him in the QLD no 6.

There appears to be a very strong push for Prince to half, Thurston to 5/8 and Lockyer to fullback. Bowen would be out .. or maybe on the wing with Bell to the centres to replace Hodges.
!!! Bowen on the wing... oh no no no!!!! :nervous: That'd be just as bad, the size of their wingers against Bowen, he'd hve no chance!!!

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
QLDGirl said:
We're not a one man team though, we're not going to just rely on Locky. Its when we try to be a one man team that we lose, its when we just rely on Locky we lose. Thats why we suck so much finals time, because thats all they do, is rely on Locky. Its teh whole team that has to make an effort finals time.
Sides that win comps are one man teams in many cases. Johns at Newcastle, Fitler at Easts, Gower at Penrith, Marshal at the Tigers. Sure they have other class players around them but it is they who take the bull by the horns and stand up.

Brisbane won their comps int he 90s on the back of Langer who led the side. Lockyer seems to crack under pressure. When players look to him he falls in a heap. Lewis, Langer, Stirling, Lamb, Johns all knew and know how to stand up when the team asks questions of them.

Like it or not Brisbane are being led by a player in his early 30s who does not have the leadership qualities to be a true great of the game. He will never be spoken of in years to come in the same breath as Langer and Lewis and other greats of the game.

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
steve_mortimer said:
Sides that win comps are one man teams in many cases. Johns at Newcastle, Fitler at Easts, Gower at Penrith, Marshal at the Tigers. Sure they have other class players around them but it is they who take the bull by the horns and stand up.

Brisbane won their comps int he 90s on the back of Langer who led the side. Lockyer seems to crack under pressure. When players look to him he falls in a heap. Lewis, Langer, Stirling, Lamb, Johns all knew and know how to stand up when the team asks questions of them.

Like it or not Brisbane are being led by a player in his early 30s who does not have the leadership qualities to be a true great of the game. He will never be spoken of in years to come in the same breath as Langer and Lewis and other greats of the game.
There's no doubt that Langer was are far more influencial player than Lockyer for Brisbane, As a kid I always thought Langer was the best, and still to this day He is the best footballer I've seen play. I like him better than Johns because duh, im a maroon and bronco BUT, I like the old school football much better than post 2000 anyway.

Back to the point, Lewis on the other hand, I think we can all agree no one has dominated origin more than Lewis, dont give me this joey johns crap, Lewis dominated and influenced origin for a span of 10 years! Johns has only dominated in a couple of series, 03 and 05 come to mind.
However Lockyer has been better for the Broncos than the king, I dont think theres any argument there.

I'm the first to admit he's forms been done by his standards, no doubt about that.
I'd say 02 was the last we saw him at his best, there was a few moments in 03, but our team just fell apart towards the end of the season that year. and like I said, he had a bad run with injuries towards the latter parts of the season in 04 and 05.

However thats all gone and dusted, you can only look ahead, and honestly bugger QLD as far as im concerned, he's copping it, but most people agree that we just got comletely belted by the NSW forwards in game 1, you just cant win origin like that. Whats important at the moment is his duties for Broncos, I dare say his doing well.

Its up to Lockyer, if he wants to surpass what alfie did for the broncos... alfie clearly the best for the broncos in its short history.

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
lockyer said:
There's no doubt that Langer was are far more influencial player than Lockyer for Brisbane, As a kid I always thought Langer was the best, and still to this day He is the best footballer I've seen play. I like him better than Johns because duh, im a maroon and bronco BUT, I like the old school football much better than post 2000 anyway.

Back to the point, Lewis on the other hand, I think we can all agree no one has dominated origin more than Lewis, dont give me this joey johns crap, Lewis dominated and influenced origin for a span of 10 years! Johns has only dominated in a couple of series, 03 and 05 come to mind.
However Lockyer has been better for the Broncos than the king, I dont think theres any argument there.

I'm the first to admit he's forms been done by his standards, no doubt about that.
I'd say 02 was the last we saw him at his best, there was a few moments in 03, but our team just fell apart towards the end of the season that year. and like I said, he had a bad run with injuries towards the latter parts of the season in 04 and 05.

However thats all gone and dusted, you can only look ahead, and honestly bugger QLD as far as im concerned, he's copping it, but most people agree that we just got comletely belted by the NSW forwards in game 1, you just cant win origin like that. Whats important at the moment is his duties for Broncos, I dare say his doing well.

Its up to Lockyer, if he wants to surpass what alfie did for the broncos... alfie clearly the best for the broncos in its short history.
Im with you in a way there Lockyer, with the whole BRoncos things. Id prefer him to do super well for the Broncos, and the Broncos do well. ITs more of a priority then QLD, imo.

But I think Lockyer COULD do well in Origin, I dont think we've seen what he's capable of.

Steve_M. No Lockyer wont lead the side to victory ON HIS OWN. Because BRisbane have stopped relying on him. It'll be the likes of Locky, Hunt, our no.9, our no.7, our fowards , you know what, the whole team. Because thats when teh BRoncos play best. Thats when Locky plays best, when teh BRoncos dont just rely on him and use him right. We cna't be a one man team, because Locky can't be the answer for everything, he gets to suffocated. But now we're starting to use him in the right way, we're playing well.
Just because we arent a one man team doesnt mean we cant win :p

Btw I never said he'd be as great as Langer (Lewis yea), Im not saying he can't be either. I guess it depends in his next couple of years. This year is the first time I've seen him play really well, and look happy at the BRoncos and enthusiastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.