Lock position debate

Who do you want to be Canterburys lock for the coming 2018 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Reading this it fascinates me because everyone has their own (relatively well) thought out ideas on who should be our lock but it’s literally based on everyone’s personal fantasy on what a lock should be.

Let’s look at the facts first.
The 13 (lock forward) is a forward position that is the glue end position in an uncontested scrum. Even then teams randomly out fullbacks into the scrum for a set play. The position and scrum are relatively obsolete in the modern game and everyone agrees on that.

This means the lock has become somewhat of a team handyman utility to be used as per what the coach sees fit.

What do you want your lock to do?

Some people here, like Desmond, envisage the lock to be a third prop. A battering ram to run over opposition. Hence why klemmer has played there this year.

Others see it as an extension of a back rower. A more mobile forward who can do a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

The people calling for tolman, hence my question last page, presumably see the role reserved for a workhorse who can eat up tackles and energywhilst the rest of the forwards do they thang.

Then there is the lock forward I described, the roaming ball player.

The fourth halve that can roam around spark an attack. Do run around set plays like two kids playing in a Carlingford Park. Andy Farrell, Braith Anasta, brad Fittler, our own Jim dymock and so forth.

Personally, the last one is the look forward that I prescribe too. I say this because we lack attacking spark and need all the help we can get. Our defence is one of the best, our attack is the worst. Makes sense.
Hence why for me it HAS to be Craig Frawley in the 13 next year. If there are injurires, Id even go as boxer said, Hoppa or Mbye.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Reading this it fascinates me because everyone has their own (relatively well) thought out ideas on who should be our lock but it’s literally based on everyone’s personal fantasy on what a lock should be.

The 13 (lock forward) is a forward position that is the glue end position in an uncontested scrum. Even then teams randomly out fullbacks into the scrum for a set play. The position and scrum are relatively obsolete in the modern game and everyone agrees on that.

This means the lock has become somewhat of a team handyman utility to be used as per what the coach sees fit.

Some people here, like Desmond, envisage the lock to be a third prop. A battering ram to run over opposition. Hence why klemmer has played there this year.

Others see it as an extension of a back rower. A more mobile forward who can do a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

The people calling for tolman, hence my question last page, presumably see the role reserved for a workhorse who can eat up tackles and energywhilst the rest of the forwards do they thang.

The fourth halve that can roam around spark an attack. Do run around set plays like two kids playing in a Carlingford Park. Andy Farrell, Braith Anasta, brad Fittler, our own Jim dymock and so forth.

Personally, the last one is the look forward that I prescribe too. I say this because we lack attacking spark and need all the help we can get. Our defence is one of the best, our attack is the worst. Makes sense.
Hence why for me it HAS to be Craig Frawley in the 13 next year. If there are injurires, Id even go asas boxer said, Hoppa or Mbye.
Got no problem with most of what you have to say although Frawley is a weak defender and so he can't go there. The question about Hoppa and Mbye is whether that is the best use of their skills and how it affects the rest of the team set up. The bottom line is if you have JT type you play him that way, if it is Mannering, you play him that way. You still have to have your best 13 on the park and best 6 forwards up front. Who are our best forwards? Well some of them are straightforward, some perhaps less so. I think Elliott will be a gun this year, plenty don't. I think Tolman will be a better player this year, plenty don't. I think Danny F and Francis T are good benchies who could fill in at starter if we have injuries. I think if Eastwood is healthy (for him) then he will be an asset this year, again plenty don't. That's a long way of saying if you put JJ in at lock you weaken your right side in attack and defence. Who fills in the gap? The two great unknowns are how will the existing players go in the post-Des world and will Deano really change things around. The answers to those two will tell us what our team make up will be.

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score

Hence why for me it HAS to be Craig Frawley in the 13 next year. If there are injurires, Id even go as boxer said, Hoppa or Mbye.
1stly whos craig frawley? If its matt you're talkin about - jeez that's left field..

And 2ndly, to put this opinion to bed isn't it more appropriate to think inside the box rather than outside the box, keeping in mind deano has taken on what des has left behind which means he'll have to play within the cap and get the best out of what he's got.. whilst planning for the future.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The opposite of that actually mate. My point is we can get by with decent players in different positions but a very good lock is a must have to win the comp based on the trend of the past few years. Just as important as a good spine in my opinion.
Just because each premiership winning team had a good lock, doesnt mean thats why they won. Its perhapsbonly coincidence. Maybe sam burgess is the reason souths won, but hardly the rest of them.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Blah blah blah. Piss of you fucking dog.
A typical im always right argument. You really need to work on this mate. A forum is a place where people share thoughts and ideas, its not a place where everyone thinks exactly the same thing. So theres no need to abuse someone for having a differing opinion. Thats just fucking childish.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I agree with @Khan00 frawley cant defend to save his life. So he is a big no for lock for me!!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A typical im always right argument. You really need to work on this mate. A forum is a place where people share thoughts and ideas, its not a place where everyone thinks exactly the same thing. So theres no need to abuse someone for having a differing opinion. Thats just fucking childish.
I'm not abusing him for having a different opinion, i'm abusing him for accusing me of stuff that isn't true and stating incorrect facts.

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not abusing him for having a different opinion, i'm abusing him for accusing me of stuff that isn't true and stating incorrect facts.
Nah mate i say it how it is and how i see it. You're just a frustrated little hermit that cant handle the truth.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This ****
Nah mate i say it how it is and how i see it. You're just a frustrated little hermit that cant handle the truth.
Standard Marley boys... Know it all **** that thinks his opinion is fact and refuses to accept that others' opinion is worth nothing. He represents the anti-forum

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This ****

Standard Marley boys... Know it all **** that thinks his opinion is fact and refuses to accept that others' opinion is worth nothing. He represents the anti-forum
Hahaha @this ****. Lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well in that case its just a massive over reaction.
You have some solid opinions mate, but you cant make everyone agree with them. Try this statement from time to time, even if only in your head. "I agree to disagree". Lol

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha!
He is definitely a piece of work, goodluck to him for whatever makes him happy.
I banned myself frm the kennel, it was the only way to restrain myself from creatures like him, but im back and probably not for a long as alot of stuff i read makes me almost puke lol.
I gave myself a ban for a while too. But for the most part people on here tend to be decent and can be spoken to. I've got a few people on my ignore list that had the ability to annoy me with 98% of what they wrote. It took me years to start using the ignore feature, but by picking the few people that annoy you and frequently trigger the desire to vomit, you can eliminate a lot of the frustration that seeing them post delivers. You obviously enjoy some aspects of the kennel so don't let those who annoy you keep you from the forums.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If I was the coach this is my lineup:

1 mbye
2 Morris
3 Norris
4 Hopoate
5 Holland
6 Foran
7 Cleeland
8 Woods
9 fu Brown
10 Tolman
11 Jackson
12 Elliott
13 Frawley
-
14 RFM
15 klemmer
16 beastwood
17 unidentifiable utility backline player

That is an amazingly potent 17.
Sparks could start from anywhere on ten field and enough grunt in the forwards, and we will be more mobile of not smaller.
The idea would be have Frawley, tolman and Jackson play 80 minutes and let woods and klemmer rotate constantly for maximum power and the second rower change once.

Unidentifiable backline player more cover than anything.
The scary thing is none of our forwards besides Frawley and maybe klemmer can slog into the backline if required.

Perhaps Lichaa should be nine and fu the 17?
Or they can play off For the opening spot.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Well in that case its just a massive over reaction.
You have some solid opinions mate, but you cant make everyone agree with them. Try this statement from time to time, even if only in your head. "I agree to disagree". Lol
Mate, did you read the entire exchange? I was very civil from the start and even tried to look at the situation from both sides. However Khans first reply to my very civil post was to call me "Gonads". I chose to ignore this very offensive slur and move onto present my agrument against Tolman as lock in civil manner. Khan then again decided to attack me and accused me of "bagging just about every player" and having a "shit quality". I was deeply offended by these comments and they were extremely hypocritical of Khan considering he later said he hoped Tolmans future wasn't with the Bulldogs.

Khan has attacked me previously before, so this isn't anything new from him. I tried to have a civil discussion with him, yet he chose to attack me. I obviously shouldn't have bothered to try and have a civil discussion after reading his first reply, i should of known better than this. Now you lot are again trying to pin me as the bad guy. Pfft.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Furthermore, the major issue I think we will have this year is injuries and depth.
Looking through the squad, I believe that if we stayed 100% fit, we could go through every non origin round undefeated. And take the minor premiership.

However such fitness rarely happens, and apart from Montoya at wing and lee for centre I see no depth whatsoever in our squad. It will hit us hard.

We could literally come first or get the spoon. Very hard to predict 2018

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Mate, did you read the entire exchange? I was very civil from the start and even tried to look at the situation from both sides. However Khans first reply to my very civil post was to call me "Gonads". I chose to ignore this very offensive slur and move onto present my agrument against Tolman as lock in civil manner. Khan then again decided to attack me and accused me of "bagging just about every player" and having a "shit quality". I was deeply offended by these comments and they were extremely hypocritical of Khan considering he later said he hoped Tolmans future wasn't with the Bulldogs.

Khan has attacked me previously before, so this isn't anything new from him. I tried to have a civil discussion with him, yet he chose to attack me. I obviously shouldn't have bothered to try and have a civil discussion after reading his first reply, i should of known better than this. Now you lot are again trying to pin me as the bad guy. Pfft.
Haha you're kiddin me rite what a load of crap civil this civil that lol sob story much!

Gonads =very offensive?!
You bag every player= just about!
Shit qaulity= it is and thats my opinion not attackin you.
Tolman= hope he's not with us= and you forgot to add ( with respect)

Im about to genuinely insult you now by saying you're a deadset tool of the highest order!

Can't believe you actually came back with a post like that.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Eastwood is in with a chance if he has a good preseason

Last edited:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Be easy on gotenks. If you look at a number of his posts across the last few months you will notice That he is having a mental breakdown of some sort lately and there’s a lot of issues that have risen in his personal life

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If I was the coach this is my lineup:

1 mbye
2 Morris
3 Norris
4 Hopoate
5 Holland
6 Foran
7 Cleeland
8 Woods
9 fu Brown
10 Tolman
11 Jackson
12 Elliott
13 Frawley
-
14 RFM
15 klemmer
16 beastwood
17 unidentifiable utility backline player

That is an amazingly potent 17.
Sparks could start from anywhere on ten field and enough grunt in the forwards, and we will be more mobile of not smaller.
The idea would be have Frawley, tolman and Jackson play 80 minutes and let woods and klemmer rotate constantly for maximum power and the second rower change once.

Unidentifiable backline player more cover than anything.
The scary thing is none of our forwards besides Frawley and maybe klemmer can slog into the backline if required.

Perhaps Lichaa should be nine and fu the 17?
Or they can play off For the opening spot.
Holland??? Montoya is 3x better all round than than catch and run straight holland...
Frawley at lock who will get run over by other forwards.

Surely your having a laugh? Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.