News List of unsigned NRL players heading into 2021

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL
NRL 2020: List of unsigned NRL players heading into 2021

As COVID-19 creates uncertainty over squad sizes for 2021, players without a contract face a nervous wait to see if they have a future in the NRL. Check out all the unsigned players here.

1600058371109.png

With uncertainty still reigning over the size of first grade squads for next season as the NRL continues to work through the coronavirus pandemic, there’s a mad scramble for contracts as some players do all they can to keep their futures alive.
News Sport has drawn up a list of top-tier talent who are still without a club for 2021 – some, like Panthers skipper James Tamou and the Morris twins, are still courting multiple offers or are assured of another deal should they want it.

Others aren’t so lucky – they aren’t just playing for pride, they’re playing for their football lives.

1600058426587.png

FULLBACK
Brendan Elliot, Albert Hopoate, Caleb Aekins, Charlie Staines, Glenn McGrady, Dylan Smith, Josh Hoffman

Analysis: Elliot’s seen plenty of first grade as Tom Trbojevic’s back up in recent years, but a serious knee injury could put his chances of earning a new deal in jeopardy. Caleb Aekins and Charlie Staines have both impressed in limited minutes for Penrith - Staines in particular could have his pick of clubs after crossing for six tries in his first two matches.

1600058472718.png

WINGER
Michael Oldfield, Jordan Rapana, Marcelo Montoya, Sandor Earl, Isaac Lumelume, Tyronne Roberts-Davis, Patrick Herbert, George Jennings, Braydon McGrady, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Young Tonumaipea, Selestino Ravutaumada, Abbas Miski, Andre Niko, Richie Kennar, Ilikena Vudogo, Robert Jennings, Brett Morris

Analysis: Isaac Lumelume has impressed in his brief time in first grade but with Suliasi Vunivalu and Josh Addo-Carr both leaving the Storm he might be difficult to pry away from Melbourne. Michael Oldfield would be a smart buy for any club in the league - through his long career, which has taken him to six different clubs, the Raiders flyer has always been a tidy and professional performer, be it as a first-string or back up outside back. Given Canberra are saving a roster spot for Jordan Rapana, Oldfield may well be available.

1600058502693.png

CENTRE
Tim Lafai, Isiaah Tass, Dale Copley, Marion Seve, Tautau Moga, Gerard Beale, Tom Opacic, David Russell, Brad Takairangi, Braydon McGrady, Cory Denniss, Steven Marsters, Watson Heleta, Kea Pere, Ioane Seiuli, Jackson Ferris, Matthew Timoko, Jordan Kahu, Josh Morris

Analysis: South Sydney are spoilt for choice in the backline, but Steven Marsters contributions in his first three games of first grade might prove difficult for other clubs to ignore.

Marsters, who joined the Rabbitohs from the Dragons over the offseason, looks a serious prospect but former league champ Michael Ennis believes his best course may be to stay with South Sydney for the time being.

“He’s shown great skill but he’s also a really big, athletic kid who I think defensively has been most impressive,” Ennis said.

“He’s in a really good system at Souths under Wayne Bennett, with a real high quality spine, and as a centre you need that service from your spine.

“I’d be staying there as long as possible.”

Young Sharks centre Jackson Ferris and Parramatta utility Brad Takairangi would also be handy squad additions for a number of clubs.

1600058535521.png

FIVE-EIGHTH
Jack Cogger, Kieran Foran, Mason Lino, Benji Marshall, Connor Watson, Adam Keighran, Jaeman Salmon, Will Smith, Dean Blore, Tyrone May, Drew Hutchinson, Jordan Rankin, Jarrett Jubloo, Tyson Gamble, Tristan Sailor

Analysis: Kieran Foran’s recent shoulder injury has thrown his future into jeopardy, Benji Marshall is facing retirement while Mason Lino has a chance to shine for the Knights and Tristan Sailor will surely find a home - but the pick among the five eighths could well be Penrith’s Tyrone May.

May spent 12 months out of the NRL due to police charges but has reinvented himself as Penrith’s utility in 2020. The 24-year old has played centre, five-eighth, second row, lock and hooker for the Panthers this season and done a fine job in each position.

What could determine May’s future is what he wants his career to look like right now.

“I think Tyrone this season has shown not only his versatility, but his quality.

“It’ll get to a point with Tyrone where he wants to establish himself a position and settle there - when that is I’m not quite sure.

“All those guys have come through together, so he’s clearly enjoying his football playing with his mates at Penrith, but for other clubs he’s shown a high quality standard of skill and he’s been very strong defensively.

“He would be very, very handy for a side looking to pick someone up in a key position - if he was going to remain as a utility, I think he’d just stay at Penrith.

“Jarome Luai and Nathan Cleary are playing very well, and you’ve also got Matt Burton there - he’s a big part of Penrith’s puzzle at the moment, and if a side were looking for someone in a key position he’d certainly be one they’d look at.”

1600058572924.png

HALFBACK
Braydon Trindall, Tyrone Roberts, Luke Metcalf, Cooper Johns, Jai Field, Lachlan Lam, Jack A Williams, Sean O’Sullivan

Analysis: Jai Field has already attracted interest from Super League, which could only increase as Parramatta get closer to the finals, and Braydon Trindall has impressed amid Cronulla’s halves injury crisis.

Ennis believes Trindall’s best option may be to remain at Cronulla for at least one more year given stars Shaun Johnson and Matt Moylan are both off contract at the end of 2021.

“If I were giving young Trindall advice, I’d say to stay in the system. Obviously Morris has a big opinion of him, he’s shown that faith in him to give him an opportunity this year and another pre-season will definitely do him well,” Ennis said.

“The fact next year you’ve got Moylan and Johnson off-contract, I would remain there and continue to put pressure on those guys.

“Whilst he’s got the combinations he got there, and he’s in a system where the coach likes him, for another 12 months I would definitely look to bide my time and see what the club does with those big names.

“If they do decide to keep Johnson and Moylan, he’s shown enough that other clubs would be interested in him.”

1600058600965.png

PROP
Sauaso Sue, Aiden Tolman, Keegan Hipgrave, Max King, Josh King, Lachlan Burr, Leivaha Pulu, John Asiata, David Gower, Peni Terepo, James Tamou, Kaide Ellis, Tom Amone, Kurt Dillon, Ky Rodwell, Garrett Smith, Matt Croker, Dan Vasquez, Rhys Kennedy, Oliver Clark, Sia Soliola

Analysis: John Asiata should have no trouble securing a contract for next season and James Tamou has several clubs keen on extending his NRL career. Aiden Tolman might not be so lucky – at 31, and after 271 NRL game, his time as a regular starter might be drawing to a close.

1600058624117.png

HOOKER
Cameron King, Nathan Peats, Danny Levi, Cameron Smith, Connor Watson, Nathaniel Roache, Reuben Cotter, Rhyse Davies, Ray Stone, Joe Lovodua, Jake Friend, Freddy Lussick, Kyle Schneider, Luke Huth, Chris Randall, Kobe Hethrington

Analysis: Danny Levi has been solid for Manly without being spectacular while Nathan Peats has not managed to recapture the form that earned him Origin selection in 2017. Joe Lovodua is a talented utility and a club could do worse than to take a chance on Nathaniel Roache – the young Kiwi is very talented, but injuries have cruelled his first grade career thus far.

1600058647865.png

BACK ROW
Kayleb Milne, Kevin Proctor, Sam Stone, Corey Waddell, Tony Williams, Aidan Guerra, Brodie Jones, Isaiah Papali’i, Andrew Davey, Pat Hollis, Bailey Sironen, Jack Johns, Luca Moretti, Chris Lewis, Kelma Tuilagi, Kai O’Donnell, Pride Petterson-Robati, Jamil Hopoate, Ben Te’o, Sam McIntyre, Chris McQueen, Scott Sorensen, Josh Carr, Tom Eisenhuth, Elijah Taylor

Analysis: Arguably the deepest position. There’s something for everybody - canny veterans who can help fill out a squad (Aidan Guerra, Kevin Proctor), promising youngsters who just need a change of scenery or a consistent shot in the top grade (Isaiah Papali’i, Brodie Jones) and former stars who are after one last chance (Tony Williams, Chris McQueen, Ben Te’o).

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Exactly. Said it last year and start of this year to be ranted at by the current board cheer squad. Another fuck up.

No wonder Lynne helped the titans to a spoon and hill with the eels and their collection of wood.

Those two clowns United have done it again! Their cheer squad will like this!

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fullback
Staines?
A. Hopoate?

Winger
B. Morris
Rapana

Centre
J. Morris
Marsters?

Five-Eighth
-

Halfback
Lam?

Prop
Tamou?

Hooker
C. Smith
Friend

Second Row
-

I think they're missing a few, e.g. Welch.

The rest pretty trashy (or I haven't seen anything from them).

Last edited:

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fullback
Staines
A. Hopoate

Winger
B. Morris
Rapana

Centre
J. Morris
Marsters?

Five-Eighth
-

Halfback
Lam?

Prop
Tamou?

Hooker
C. Smith
Friend

Second Row
-

I think they're missing a few, e.g. Welch.

The rest pretty trashy (or I haven't seen anything from them).
Morris brothers re signed weeks ago so why would they be available?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Might be worth giving T-Rex one more contract :p we did it with maitua, we are doing it with green and Lafai. He is a club legend :p and deserves one more hoorah before hanging up the size 14s.

very slim pickings. Might be worth seeing if anything changes in the off-season because if you are relying on those players to shore up your team you might finish with fewer then 2 wins:unamused:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Morris brothers re signed weeks ago so why would they be available?
I'm just going off the post which isn't accurate obviously. Also they both haven't re-signed officially.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just going off the post which isn't accurate obviously. Also they both haven't re-signed officially.
That's true, but only a matter of time.

You guys need a good rake so grab Freddy Lussick. He played 80mins for us against the Raiders two weeks ago and did not look out of place.
Isaiah Papali'i is a goer. Tristian Sailor as a 5/8 might work.

And you need a ball playing forward, heard Aiden Tolman goes ok.

I'll see myself out.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really shows the hole we are in with limited talent available.
One young guy who is promising is Chris Lewis.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Nat Roache on a small contract would be worth a punt.

Fantastic hooker, just needs some luck with injuries.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tamou and Proctor now gone.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
If the guys available I'm interested in;