Line Drop Outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When teams take drop outs. Every team milks the 30 seconds obviously to catch there breath. But why don’t teams take them quicker?

Hear me out. When the ball goes dead, often the defending team all catch there breaths. The attacking team all turn there back. Is there a rule they have to be in position when taking the drop out? If not why not take the drop out whilst the attacking team has there backs turned and either drill it into touch or drive it over 50m and get the ball bouncing. Just a thought as here at the dogs we don’t have a player who can kick a drop out 50 on the fly.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's often because all the fat forwards don't get back behind the line fast enough to be allowed to kick.

I'd like to see a team give it a shot to be honest.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In line drop out case the advantage should go to the opps cos you have failed to get out of the in goal area so i doubt they would let you take a quick one. It is not like in the case of penalty or 20m tap in which you should have the advantage and can do a quick tap.

Btw, i noticed more teams doing a short drop outs this year, like we did last year

Reactions: DT

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need more dropout f*ckups like the Broncos tried against us .. the try was very handy for us indeed

Last edited:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t know why teams don’t drill it at the sideline, more ?
Low and hard at the sideline / 20m line gives you a chance at a rebound, a knock-on, accidental offside or a touch finder.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I love the risk takers where they either punt it towards the sideline, or fire it almost grubber like.

In ETs Rugby League I used to be a king at nailing the kickoffs perfectly so the computer player took them out.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In line drop out case the advantage should go to the opps cos you have failed to get out of the in goal area so i doubt they would let you take a quick one. It is not like in the case of penalty or 20m tap in which you should have the advantage and can do a quick tap.

Btw, i noticed more teams doing a short drop outs this year, like we did last year
I think the short drop out is a great idea. The problem for us is that we had no one who can consistently get it right. If you have a player who can put it on the spot about 90% of the time the benefit is massive.
We either kicked too long, short or out on the full, however still managed to jag a few

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the risk takers where they either punt it towards the sideline, or fire it almost grubber like.

In ETs Rugby League I used to be a king at nailing the kickoffs perfectly so the computer player took them out.
Not sure why teams don’t try this more often especially off kick offs. I had a bit of s boot on me and reckon I could get the ball over the sideline untouched pretty easy or force a mistake.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure why teams don’t try this more often especially off kick offs. I had a bit of s boot on me and reckon I could get the ball over the sideline untouched pretty easy or force a mistake.
Pat Richards was the king at that.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t know why teams don’t drill it at the sideline, more ?
Low and hard at the sideline / 20m line gives you a chance at a rebound, a knock-on, accidental offside or a touch finder.
My thoughts exactly.

This goes for Kick offs also.

An oddly placed ball hit hard bouncing along the ground can do anything. Even if it goes straight at someone. Their chance of knocking the ball on is high. at worst you might lose 10m if field position if they bet take it cleanly.

Kickoffs & dropouts should be used as a weapon and practiced. Surely teams look at the level of success of Pat Richards. I am surprised more teams don’t mix it up more.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At school level our kicker would smash the ball right at the hooker who would be in the middle 10m away and we would either get a rebound or he would knock on. if he catches it then he deserves it.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The only thing worse th en an unorganised defense is an unorganised attack. Would be useful in some scenarios but wouldn't want it to be the norm.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see changes to the 7 tackle rule.. in some situations I don't think it's fair that a team on the back foot is gifted a piggyback up field

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd like to see changes to the 7 tackle rule.. in some situations I don't think it's fair that a team on the back foot is gifted a piggyback up field
I absolutely hate the 7 tackle restart, it's too big of an advantage. A bloke could just barely knock the ball on over the line and get punished massively for it. Surely getting a quick tap 20 out is a big enough advantage?

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When teams take drop outs. Every team milks the 30 seconds obviously to catch there breath. But why don’t teams take them quicker?

Hear me out. When the ball goes dead, often the defending team all catch there breaths. The attacking team all turn there back. Is there a rule they have to be in position when taking the drop out? If not why not take the drop out whilst the attacking team has there backs turned and either drill it into touch or drive it over 50m and get the ball bouncing. Just a thought as here at the dogs we don’t have a player who can kick a drop out 50 on the fly.
Yep i have thought this for a long time...get ready quickly and drop it out...it might work once in a while and is definitely worth a go

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Des has hacked the Kennel

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

In the same vein, why don't players get up quickly and play the ball when they've caught it on the full, and there's only broken defence to run through from the play the ball? Instead, they feign injury so their own team is all back on side, and the opposition has their defence set.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the 7 tackle restart, it's too big of an advantage. A bloke could just barely knock the ball on over the line and get punished massively for it. Surely getting a quick tap 20 out is a big enough advantage?
The idea was to stop endless kicks into the in goal which were slowing down the game. Punishing the attacking team by conceding 20 metres was intended to stop kicks in attack. Worked, eh?

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's unfair in most situations

Status
Not open for further replies.