Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis: It’s been an incredible year
Author
bulldogs.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 18 Sep 2018, 10:05 AM
Share on social media
Lachlan Lewis arrived at the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs from the Canberra Raiders midway through the 2016 season.

The talented five-eighth is a product of the Souths Logan system north of the border and over the past two and a half seasons has been applying his trade with the club's under 20s and Intrust Super Premiership teams, before he was finally handed his NRL debut this year in round 16 against the Newcastle Knights.

He wasn't eligible earlier in the season, but once Canterbury were allowed to elevate Lewis to the full-time squad, he was given the green light to play.

"When the Newcastle game came around, it was a really special moment. It was an awesome week," Lewis said.

"My journey to the NRL started out with the Cup team and Georgie (Steve Georgallis) and all the boys who basically taught me how to play football at a tougher level with bigger bodies, before coming into the NRL side with Dean and the help of his assistants. I need to thank the left edge of Brett and Josh Morris who I had to earn the trust from, but it was a good nine games I had and I will hold that memory forever," he added.

The 22-year old made an immediate impact in his first game for the club and went from strength to strength before being rewarded with a new two-year deal that keeps him at the club until the end of 2020.

The talented half showed composure and class in his first NRL season and impressed everyone with his toughness on the field. The five-eighth finished the season with 9 games, 9 forced dropouts, 322.5 average kicking metres per game, 3 try assists, 3 line break assists, 4 offloads, 210 tackles, 52.6 average running metres, a tackle efficiency of 83% as well as claiming the Steve Mortimer Bulldogs Rookie of the Year at the club's end of season awards night.

"It's been an incredible year. It's very humbling to win this award. Looking back at the past 12 months I didn't think I would get the opportunity to play first grade. It's an awesome feeling and I'm very proud to play at this club and for this club to give the opportunity. To get my shot half way through the year, has been a dream come true," added Lewis.

With the NRL season coming to an end, Lewis will now take time to reflect on his year and reset his goals for the 2019 season.

"My goal is to play first grade and keep loving my football. That was my focus every time I ran out onto the field this year and enjoying every moment I had. I just want to rip in with the boys in the pre-season, create some more waves and play the same type of football we did towards the back end of the year."

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/09/18/lewis-its-been-an-incredible-year/

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
2019 was looking bleak until he arrived at the top level... not that our boys don't play well, but any team will struggle with the spine situation we had. Humble and a hard worker.. I think we can build for something big with the mix of experience and the enthusiasm from our rookies

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Loving Lewis. I have my fingers crossed that he turns out to be our generational player that becomes the next Doggies legend. I hope our club looks after him and he looks after the club. Here's to 2019.

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
one of our shining lights this year hopefully kicks on next year.

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
3 of the best 80 minute performances by the team for the last few years came after he made 1st grade, maybe he looked the goods because the whole team played better or the team played better because someone with a bit of vision started to steer us around.

I think it's the latter and the kid seems to have the right attitude as well, his comments after the games where the press wanted to sing his praises but he was more concerned over missing a tackle made me smile. He knows he's still got a lot of work to do and he doesn't seem phased by it at all.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
3 of the best 80 minute performances by the team for the last few years came after he made 1st grade, maybe he looked the goods because the whole team played better or the team played better because someone with a bit of vision started to steer us around.

I think it's the latter and the kid seems to have the right attitude as well, his comments after the games where the press wanted to sing his praises but he was more concerned over missing a tackle made me smile. He knows he's still got a lot of work to do and he doesn't seem phased by it at all.
The game Lewis missed against Manly spoke volumes....the team was lost without him, but to have him come back in round 23 against the warriors put in a great performance and seal the win with a 35m drop goal was simply fantastic and a game to remember.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lets see how he goes in 2019 after our competitors have worked him out!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets see how he goes in 2019 after our competitors have worked him out!

Sharks are one of the best teams at targeting players and did a decent job on him.. he still had a fair game.. but if we don't have anybody decent to partner him, or at least another threat in the spine then teams will just send all their defenders his way

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Loving Lewis. I have my fingers crossed that he turns out to be our generational player that becomes the next Doggies legend. I hope our club looks after him and he looks after the club. Here's to 2019.
Love the kid too grog, and if he continues the way he is he will be a legend, let’s just hope the club lock him up for good.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Great kid. Hopefully he continues to improve, could be a future captain and face of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.