Lewis and Cleeland Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The NRL won't allow them to be played. Bulldogs have been trying for a few weeks to get Lewis approved.

Possibly with Mbye going Lewis might be called into the side and be able to play.

It's to do with this Top 30 shit the NRL dreamed up.

From what I can gather, even though clubs now have a Top 30, players 26-30 can only be called up if there are injuries in the Top 25 and no other player available can play in that spot.

From what I can tell: Woolford, Lewis, Cleeland, Cerruto and 1 other are all unable to be played therefore. Wakeham is a development player I think, so he's different again.
It's a dumb rule... can we swap players in top 30 if they haven't played yet?

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Foran is injured & Lewis isn't top 30?
With M'Bye gone can they replace him in the Top 30?

Can a development player be put into the top 30 this year or do they have to stay as a development player for the whole year?

BobbieG

Waterboy
Reaction score
I travelled to Belmore yesterday and got there in time to watch Lewis and Cleeland and what I saw of both was garbage. They both scored tries but their organisational skills and control was worse than Frawley. At times they were waliking back onside and their 5th tackle options were terrible. The kicks went nowhere and normally someone was tackled on the sixth. Zac Woodford was playing well until concussed and when he went off, there was no organisation. The young bloke who came on in jersey 21 was the best along with our fullback. We need the Morris brothers in 1st grade as our backs could not tackle. Long road ahead.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Lewis if he gets selected.

I don't think he is FG material, and isn't the answer. And the backlash he will receive if he isn't the messiah is going to crush the kid.

I really hope he proves me wrong, and becomes a great player. The desperation we are in, even I'm calling for him to be selected. He can't do any worse than these 2 shit kickers in Frawley and JMK..
I think Lewis has more potential then Frawley and is definitely better in defence but you’re right he’s not going to magically turn around our season. The poor bloke is going to get savaged on here if/when he starts playing NRL.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think Lewis has more potential then Frawley and is definitely better in defence but you’re right he’s not going to magically turn around our season. The poor bloke is going to get savaged on here if/when he starts playing NRL.
One thing that Lewis offers, is vision. He seems to read play quite well (even if not always making the best choice - but that can be put down to too much effort).

I see a bit of Foran in Lewis in that he takes on the line and normally offloads late. He's also got an interesting short kicking game which (whilst it doesn't always work), he can drop it on the toe at the line for those around him.

1 on 1 defence is excellent and group defence often let down by those around him. Alongside solid defenders he'd be excellent.

I agree that he's not magically going to turn into Thurston 2.0, but (like you) there is definitely raw talent there. Get a good halves coach working with him, and have him work and learn alongside Foran, and we could have ourselves a very capable player.

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lewis was average at best yesterday. Happy to give him a crack but he’s not the messiah.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Lewis if he gets selected.

I don't think he is FG material, and isn't the answer. And the backlash he will receive if he isn't the messiah is going to crush the kid.

I really hope he proves me wrong, and becomes a great player. The desperation we are in, even I'm calling for him to be selected. He can't do any worse than these 2 shit kickers in Frawley and JMK..
Apart from an excellent drop out that flew 63 meters then rolled a further 24 meters, he missed the mark twice yesterday throwing the ball to no one in particular losing ground in the process. I am a supporter of Lewis and like others on here would love to see him debut but I do fear for the kid, the kennel is a nasty place unless you are named Klemmer or Jackson.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Lewis was average at best yesterday. Happy to give him a crack but he’s not the messiah.
Does anyone really think he will be?

I'm with you giving him a crack.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL won't allow them to be played. Bulldogs have been trying for a few weeks to get Lewis approved.

Possibly with Mbye going Lewis might be called into the side and be able to play.

It's to do with this Top 30 shit the NRL dreamed up.

From what I can gather, even though clubs now have a Top 30, players 26-30 can only be called up if there are injuries in the Top 25 and no other player available can play in that spot.

From what I can tell: Woolford, Lewis, Cleeland, Cerruto and 1 other are all unable to be played therefore. Wakeham is a development player I think, so he's different again.
Even if the restrictions you mention are true, Mbye is in the top 25 so a replacement could be brought straight in to play. So if it Lewis (or whoever) he can then play next week. There won't be any restrictions on who we bring in to replace him as he was an established top player.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you watch the ISP game yesterday? the attacking woes at the club run deeper than just first grade

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It would be loss of points
What points? We’re not going to make the 8 so fuck the NRL blood anyone we can good or bad the experience will do them good.

There’s not going to be a perfect time for a gun half to bring any of these kids up as we just don’t and won’t be getting one.

Someone needs to step up, it’s a professional sport and they’re paid the dollars to handle the pressure just want to see anyone given a shot over Frawley right now, would honestly rather under 18s half run out.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
BTW watching Jack Cogger play yesterday against Melbourne, we are in for a very long season next year...

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis has more upside than Frawley. He can defend like jmk but offers more in attack.

He’s worth having a shot tbh. He has good pedigree, and I’m sure his uncle will be in his ear giving him good pointers.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I watched the ISP game yesterday.
There is NOTHING to get excited about, most of the team need more time in ISP to develop, let alone first grade, which will just end up shortening their career.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anybody who savages the kid basically displays nothing more than the fact they have no idea about rugby league and should stop following it and get off the TK.

I CALL FOR PERMABANS ON ANY FWIT THAT SAVAGES KIDS COMING INTO THE TOP GRADE.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I watched the ISP game yesterday.
There is NOTHING to get excited about, most of the team need more time in ISP to develop, let alone first grade, which will just end up shortening their career.
ISP is a different game that only allows players to get to certain level. The NRL is of higher level that allows players to grow more and most likely quicker. Some players in sports just step up to the plate.... Lewis will be one of them. It will take a few years for the kid to dominate but he will get there.

There are a few players that should come through soon like Ogden and Bergamin. Then there is Anderson whose got some mongrel about him and Okunbor if his balls drop anytime in the next few years. Kalache and Woolford have plenty of potential also.

Last edited:

pugsley

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree Lewis was ordinary on Saturday (but still better than our NRL halves)
But has been outstanding in the games I’ve seen this year

Status
Not open for further replies.