Letter to Andrew Hill - just sent

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes you're right. Slow city and 99% of friends interstate. Had to come here for family reasons. Dogs are kind of like my hobby especially at the moment and I'd been so looking forward to this time expecting us to sign a special player or 3 by now to make us really competitive with the top 4 teams for 2021.
Hang in there Chief - good chance good things still happening for ‘21 - early days.

Players who want to earn more or looking for a fresh start (or both) will be out to impress in the early part of season ‘20. You know contracts don’t mean much these days (right or wrong, just reality) and players will become available - not necessarily listed as available for ‘21 right now. It happens every year as I’m sure you know.

Most clubs have no need to move too quickly and it only destabilises the marketplace anyway. Let’s say someone wanted to sign one of our off contract players for ‘21 and did a deal now. They wouldn’t be focussed on the Dogs in ‘20. Yes, they’re professionals but it’s also human nature.

We’ll be good. We all want the same thing. 2020 might be a small step forward rather than a leap but by 2021 we should be in good shape.

Play the long game...

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hang in there Chief - good chance good things still happening for ‘21 - early days.

Players who want to earn more or looking for a fresh start (or both) will be out to impress in the early part of season ‘20. You know contracts don’t mean much these days (right or wrong, just reality) and players will become available - not necessarily listed as available for ‘21 right now. It happens every year as I’m sure you know.

Most clubs have no need to move too quickly and it only destabilises the marketplace anyway. Let’s say someone wanted to sign one of our off contract players for ‘21 and did a deal now. They wouldn’t be focussed on the Dogs in ‘20. Yes, they’re professionals but it’s also human nature.

We’ll be good. We all want the same thing. 2020 might be a small step forward rather than a leap but by 2021 we should be in good shape.

Play the long game...
Thank you DinkumDog. Hope you're right brother :o)

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

In relation to the recent quote from you below which appeared in various media publications can you please provide members and fans with a more detailed explanation (as we deserve) of why the club recruitment committee decided not to pursue a player like Latrell Mitchell ?

Many fans including myself would also like to know if the club ever made an approach to Joseph Manu before he recently re-signed with the Roosters for 2 years only on a reported modest salary and if not why not ?

I understand that all clubs could approach any player before November 1. They just couldn’t register new contracts before November 1.

“From a football club perspective we don’t normally comment on recruitment or retention, but in this case there’s been so much speculation we felt we needed to clarify our position,” Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill said.

“We will not be pursuing trying to sign Latrell Mitchell. No one from the Bulldogs football club has ever had any sort of talks with Latrell.

“We’ve met as a recruitment committee and decided this is our position. We won’t be pursuing Latrell.”

You should also be interested in the comments by 2 Bulldogs fans below from the fan site The Kennel– the first which typifies the level of disappointment Bulldogs fans have at the moment over the performance of the recruitment committee and the second which if true definitely deserves further investigation by yourself and further discussion at the February board elections if not sooner.

"I was so excited about finally getting some exciting players (like Mitchell) that at work and at home I'm constantly searching the net just hoping for some good news about us signing someone special to improve our team but no nothing, zilch ! I really can't understand those who don't want us to spend a dollar it seems and seem prepared to wait years just in the "hope" that some young players will eventually become superstars and improve our team to genuine premiership contenders. What they don't think about is firstly are our recruitment staff any better at identifying young potential superstars than the guys working at all the other 15 NRL clubs ?, The best young players also tend to sign with the Roosters, and even if we were somehow lucky enough to accidently discover the next superstar there's a good chance the Roosters would pinch them the next season anyway. We have to play by the same rules as the Roosters and target their players not only to strengthen our team but also to weaken the Roosters. Just seems like our board are working for the Roosters at the moment, not us.

I can't agree with people thinking the board have done a good job just because they re-signed a few players. Re-signing current players isn't going to "improve" our team really. It's just going to prevent us from getting worse".

---------------------------------
"Forget the people involved.. the facts are :
1) we have no recruitment manager, CA who was involved heavily is gone, we sent the CEO overseas because literally there was no one else at the club..
2) we are offside with 2 player managers who have a big stable of established players
3) we offer no TPAs
4) We have a rookie coach who is no drawing card like some other top coaches..
5) We lack big name players that can also help attract players
6) we don’t go to the lengths other clubs go to (or we use to go) to with player managers and the family of recruitment targets to massage their egos and take care of them..

The club is adamant this is the way they want to do business and play tough with the managers.. Some people here agree with this stance & others don’t..

This is a picture of were we are at when it comes to recruitment and its open for our fans to decide if we can attract sought after players..

The salary cap space will mean nothing if we aren’t attractive to players..

The club was adamant Api was signing with us, then he did an about face and took less money to go elsewhere..

One player manager (who secretly - unless you know him) follows the Dogs, offered 3 very talented players to us end of last year, the club said no to all.. all 3 had very good seasons at their current clubs.."

Cheers
Look, everyones's entitled to their view, opinions, vision for the team and that's the wonderful thing about supporting a footy team. There's just so many damned ways to win a game and be successful, so there's also going to be just as many opinions. I'm cool with that and with you believing that we should've have X number of players already signed up by Nov. 1st and we should've been paying overs for each one of them. Your view, which I strongly disagree with, but you're entitled to it.

My concern with yourself and supporters like you is that you simply don't listen to other views. You don't take any reasonable argument or view onboard unless it matches your own. I can be really stubborn myself, but numerous times I've come on here even in the past week and changed my stance a little bit as another poster has said something quite reasonable and thought out. Our role as a supporter is to do that.

Agree with you that as a fanbase we need to have our voices heard. That we need to speak up. It's really important as without us this club would be nothing. They know this, I'm sure. However, as a fanbase it's our responsibility to educate ourselves on matters so when we make a point it comes across that we know what we're talking about. That it's worthwhile listening to the fans more. That our voice actually could mean something. By approaching the club as a fan you're representing all of us, you know that right?

Your email is full of hearsay, information straight from the press, or things that have been explained before. You quote other supporters as it's supposed to carry some weight. From my viewpoint it's utterly embarrassing. Not the views but how badly it comes across.

We, yes THE supporters, voted in this board. A large part of their campaign during the elections was to do the things connected to the club behind closed doors. We wouldn't be in the media all the time. They're acting or trying to act in accordance to how WE voted. Now you're writing to Hill to go against that for you by revealing details about our potential approaches to players, managers etc.

As I said, you're entitled to your views and I respect your right to contact the club with your thoughts. I'd hope next time you may try to represent the fans' views in a better way rather than being so selective because, let's be honest, you knew before sending that email that a large number of posters on here don't necessarily agree with you, your views, or your continued attempt to enforce your views on everyone.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Look, everyones's entitled to their view, opinions, vision for the team and that's the wonderful thing about supporting a footy team. There's just so many damned ways to win a game and be successful, so there's also going to be just as many opinions. I'm cool with that and with you believing that we should've have X number of players already signed up by Nov. 1st and we should've been paying overs for each one of them. Your view, which I strongly disagree with, but you're entitled to it.

My concern with yourself and supporters like you is that you simply don't listen to other views. You don't take any reasonable argument or view onboard unless it matches your own. I can be really stubborn myself, but numerous times I've come on here even in the past week and changed my stance a little bit as another poster has said something quite reasonable and thought out. Our role as a supporter is to do that.

Agree with you that as a fanbase we need to have our voices heard. That we need to speak up. It's really important as without us this club would be nothing. They know this, I'm sure. However, as a fanbase it's our responsibility to educate ourselves on matters so when we make a point it comes across that we know what we're talking about. That it's worthwhile listening to the fans more. That our voice actually could mean something. By approaching the club as a fan you're representing all of us, you know that right?

Your email is full of hearsay, information straight from the press, or things that have been explained before. You quote other supporters as it's supposed to carry some weight. From my viewpoint it's utterly embarrassing. Not the views but how badly it comes across.

We, yes THE supporters, voted in this board. A large part of their campaign during the elections was to do the things connected to the club behind closed doors. We wouldn't be in the media all the time. They're acting or trying to act in accordance to how WE voted. Now you're writing to Hill to go against that for you by revealing details about our potential approaches to players, managers etc.

As I said, you're entitled to your views and I respect your right to contact the club with your thoughts. I'd hope next time you may try to represent the fans' views in a better way rather than being so selective because, let's be honest, you knew before sending that email that a large number of posters on here don't necessarily agree with you, your views, or your continued attempt to enforce your views on everyone.
Just like how you've changed your stance a little bit so will brad when he sees something. I'm another person on these forums that have strong views and opinions that're against the majority but I'll be the first to change it when I see something that works. A lot of people don't offer an alternative to be honest (depends what you're exactly talking about regarding brad) and I get more of a vibe that they're relying on hope which is very dangerous. A lot of people say they don't want it to be a certain way (trust me I don't either) but sometimes there's no other choice.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just like how you've changed your stance a little bit so will brad when he sees something. I'm another person on these forums that have strong views and opinions that're against the majority but I'll be the first to change it when I see something that works. A lot of people don't offer an alternative to be honest (depends what you're exactly talking about regarding brad) and I get more of a vibe that they're relying on hope which is very dangerous.
Fair comment.

Faith or hope as you call it is bullshit and means you're too lazy to form an educated opinion ... imo :grinning: So I completely agree with what you're saying. But then you go the opposite where you oppose thing without really fully understanding what you're opposing or making an attempt to. This is exactly what your ulterego Brad is doing ;)

Judging from a large number of replies to his letter, and other comments I've seen, people are simply saying it's early days let's judge the club when we have more information in front of us. If Brad were to send that email at the start of the season if we've signed no one then .. OK. But now?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fair comment.

Faith or hope as you call it is bullshit and means you're too lazy to form an educated opinion ... imo :grinning: So I completely agree with what you're saying. But then you go the opposite where you oppose thing without really fully understanding what you're opposing or making an attempt to. This is exactly what your ulterego Brad is doing ;)

Judging from a large number of replies to his letter, and other comments I've seen, people are simply saying it's early days let's judge the club when we have more information in front of us. If Brad were to send that email at the start of the season if we've signed no one then .. OK. But now?
Yes now is defiantly too early and I do think the club has done a good job with recruitment up until this point. I think we have between now (it's only been 10 days of November) and until the start of next season personally to have some signings announced. I think brad is just upset with missing out on Latrell. We don't know the exact details but as long as we tried to sign him for an appropriate amount (people don't like me posting amounts, you've probably seen my posts enough to know what I think that is) if he rejected that then there's nothing more the club can do. If we didn't even try (we'll never really know) then I'm pretty upset about it too. That's the first target and there is plenty more. If we're in the same position regarding recruitment at the start of next season then a lot of the questions in brad's letter will be warranted. The way the club recruits is up to them they'll be judged or praised with who they sign.

Banned
Reaction score
Yes now is defiantly too early and I do think the club has done a good job with recruitment up until this point. I think we have between now (it's only been 10 days of November) and until the start of next season personally to have some signings announced. I think brad is just upset with missing out on Latrell. We don't know the exact details but as long as we tried to sign him for an appropriate amount (people don't like me posting amounts, you've probably seen my posts enough to know what I think that is) if he rejected that then there's nothing more the club can do. If we didn't even try (we'll never really know) then I'm pretty upset about it too. That's the first target and there is plenty more. If we're in the same position regarding recruitment at the start of next season then a lot of the questions in brad's letter will be warranted. The way the club recruits is up to them they'll be judged or praised with who they sign.
So you agree that Brady jumped the gun with his letter Brad?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So you agree that Brady jumped the gun with his letter Brad?
Yes but I do see his concerns (with something's not all of it) just it's a little too early to panic.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Play the long game...
I totally agree with this there will be more opportunities like dwz of players wanting out of their clubs definitely time to be patient

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes you're right. Slow city and 99% of friends interstate. Had to come here for family reasons. Dogs are kind of like my hobby especially at the moment and I'd been so looking forward to this time expecting us to sign a special player or 3 by now to make us really competitive with the top 4 teams for 2021.

I’m with ya mate ignore all these keyboard warriors

Let them know how you feel

Doesn’t have to be Mitchell but one big signing this offseason would be nice

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’m with ya mate ignore all these keyboard warriors

Let them know how you feel

Doesn’t have to be Mitchell but one big signing this offseason would be nice
And there’s every chance that will happen.

Many had such a hard-on for Mitchell and the media circus created so much distraction and noise. That’s why the club spoke out.

Let this play out...

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

In relation to the recent quote from you below which appeared in various media publications can you please provide members and fans with a more detailed explanation (as we deserve) of why the club recruitment committee decided not to pursue a player like Latrell Mitchell ?

Many fans including myself would also like to know if the club ever made an approach to Joseph Manu before he recently re-signed with the Roosters for 2 years only on a reported modest salary and if not why not ?

I understand that all clubs could approach any player before November 1. They just couldn’t register new contracts before November 1.

“From a football club perspective we don’t normally comment on recruitment or retention, but in this case there’s been so much speculation we felt we needed to clarify our position,” Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill said.

“We will not be pursuing trying to sign Latrell Mitchell. No one from the Bulldogs football club has ever had any sort of talks with Latrell.

“We’ve met as a recruitment committee and decided this is our position. We won’t be pursuing Latrell.”

You should also be interested in the comments by 2 Bulldogs fans below from the fan site The Kennel– the first which typifies the level of disappointment Bulldogs fans have at the moment over the performance of the recruitment committee and the second which if true definitely deserves further investigation by yourself and further discussion at the February board elections if not sooner.

"I was so excited about finally getting some exciting players (like Mitchell) that at work and at home I'm constantly searching the net just hoping for some good news about us signing someone special to improve our team but no nothing, zilch ! I really can't understand those who don't want us to spend a dollar it seems and seem prepared to wait years just in the "hope" that some young players will eventually become superstars and improve our team to genuine premiership contenders. What they don't think about is firstly are our recruitment staff any better at identifying young potential superstars than the guys working at all the other 15 NRL clubs ?, The best young players also tend to sign with the Roosters, and even if we were somehow lucky enough to accidently discover the next superstar there's a good chance the Roosters would pinch them the next season anyway. We have to play by the same rules as the Roosters and target their players not only to strengthen our team but also to weaken the Roosters. Just seems like our board are working for the Roosters at the moment, not us.

I can't agree with people thinking the board have done a good job just because they re-signed a few players. Re-signing current players isn't going to "improve" our team really. It's just going to prevent us from getting worse".

---------------------------------
"Forget the people involved.. the facts are :
1) we have no recruitment manager, CA who was involved heavily is gone, we sent the CEO overseas because literally there was no one else at the club..
2) we are offside with 2 player managers who have a big stable of established players
3) we offer no TPAs
4) We have a rookie coach who is no drawing card like some other top coaches..
5) We lack big name players that can also help attract players
6) we don’t go to the lengths other clubs go to (or we use to go) to with player managers and the family of recruitment targets to massage their egos and take care of them..

The club is adamant this is the way they want to do business and play tough with the managers.. Some people here agree with this stance & others don’t..

This is a picture of were we are at when it comes to recruitment and its open for our fans to decide if we can attract sought after players..

The salary cap space will mean nothing if we aren’t attractive to players..

The club was adamant Api was signing with us, then he did an about face and took less money to go elsewhere..

One player manager (who secretly - unless you know him) follows the Dogs, offered 3 very talented players to us end of last year, the club said no to all.. all 3 had very good seasons at their current clubs.."

Cheers
I’ve just seen this embarrassment. If you are going to email a CEO a list of “facts” it’s best to ensure they are actually “facts”.
Emails like these are similar to the cringe worthy questions asked at the fan forums and the reason why a lot of our fans aren’t taken seriously.
On behalf of all bulldogs fans I beg you to please never email the club again

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read all the latest comments. I have been extra harsh in some recent replies to a few people which I normally wouldn't do. I remember one to someone who was saying Leilua was a better choice to sign than Mitchell. That did piss me off that someone could actually believe that. Generally though when people post suggestions about anything I don't reply shit to them or call them names (like some on here who think they're still at school bullying kids in the playground). I admit also I have jumped the gun to a degree. The club could still sign players like Fifita etc I'll eat my words, accept I was wrong but I'll be happy in knowing that we're going to be a much stronger team for 2021 which is basically my whole purpose to ensure this happens and hope that the current management don't fuck it up like our board have before.

I've just been really worried at signs pointing to bad recruitment management such as the players we already missed out on who were "widely" reported targets for 2020 and I still can't understand why the club would totally refuse to make an offer - ANY offer at all to a player like Mitchell who I genuinely believe could prove to be the kind of fullback we've been chasing for years or at worst play centre which we need also and yes he is currently regarded as the world's best centre which wouldn't be too bad a signing for us even for overs.

Yes my email could have been worded better. I'm not a professional writer by any means. My intention by posting it here was mainly to encourage others (others who can write even better than myself) who have similar concerns over our recruitment strategy now or at any stage in future to write to the club also and express their concerns because if the club do receive "enough" correspondence they will definitely take notice and may change their strategy in some way and be more proactive.

Seems they have been a bit lazy by not replacing staff who have left etc. Not really good enough for a professional club.

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The board are just sitting on their hands, no intentions of spending money on players.. I think they're just going to do what they did last year and spend it on themselves.
Could you please explain where it was spent on themselves and on whom?
The club certainly has intentions of buying talented players. But there not rushing in and paying extremes.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve just seen this embarrassment. If you are going to email a CEO a list of “facts” it’s best to ensure they are actually “facts”.
Emails like these are similar to the cringe worthy questions asked at the fan forums and the reason why a lot of our fans aren’t taken seriously.
On behalf of all bulldogs fans I beg you to please never email the club again
I agree. Straight between the eyes. This email is sheer lunacy. It's like something you would expect to receive from a crazed ex.

Banned
Reaction score
I have been extra harsh in some recent replies to a few people which I normally wouldn't do.
I admit also I have jumped the gun to a degree.

I've just been really worried...
Yes my email good have been worded better, I'm not a professional writer by any means.
Brady,

It takes courage and demonstrates character to admit both of the first two points above and I congratulate you upon doing so.
At least you realise that you're not speaking upon everyone's behalf and you have been hasty in your approach.

As for the second two points, in deleted comments, you stated you own a company that reports to the NRL and clubs as a part of your clientele list, so peoples expectations of a professional correspondence would be more than reasonable.
And I feel all true fans are somewhat worried in one form or another about the clubs, teams and players performance and future direction.
In fact, I'd hope that was the case for any self proclaimed passionate fan, considering we did not make the top 8, our start to the finished season was abysmal, we have not won a premiership for 17 years and whilst under the surface much may be happening, on top it appears that out board and support staff are inept!

It could be worse, we could support Parramatta!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brady,

It takes courage and demonstrates character to admit both of the first two points above and I congratulate you upon doing so.
At least you realise that you're not speaking upon everyone's behalf and you have been hasty in your approach.

As for the second two points, in deleted comments, you stated you own a company that reports to the NRL and clubs as a part of your clientele list, so peoples expectations of a professional correspondence would be more than reasonable.
And I feel all true fans are somewhat worried in one form or another about the clubs, teams and players performance and future direction.
In fact, I'd hope that was the case for any self proclaimed passionate fan, considering we did not make the top 8, our start to the finished season was abysmal, we have not won a premiership for 17 years and whilst under the surface much may be happening, on top it appears that out board and support staff are inept!

It could be worse, we could support Parramatta!
Cheers. I said I work for Meltwater, not own. It's not part of my job to write to clients. I was so glad we beat the Eels late this year but we were lucky Ferguson wasn't playing. If you look at their team on paper for 2020 I don't think we'd be favourites. I wonder if we made an approach to Sivo before he re-signed ? If not I'd like to know the reason for that also. Just wish we had some way of finding out if our recruitment committee are actually doing their job and are trying as hard as they can