Let's share some glory day stories about the bulldogs to make us feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Chaps, I know we feel like we have been kicked in the guts the way this season has gone, even though it's not over yet.

But we do follow a great club which has provided us with more highs than lows.

Let's share some of those highs before the season is over on Sunday.

Here's one.
When I was a kid 1979 I had a sunday paper rout at Northmead.
One day I was wearing a Canterbury jersey going back to the Newsagents down Windsor Road when a truckie wearing a dogs jersey was blowing his horn, stopped the truck, bought both papers and gave me a $5 note which was like $3.80 tip, which was a fortune back then.

Same Sunday we went out to Belmore (sorry forget who we played) but Stan Cutler kicked a penalty goal in the 79th minute from 55 meters.
Game was already won but the crowd went nuts.
Then I watched the replay on 7 that night and saw myself going nuts when they panned to the crowd after Stan's penalty goal.

That my friends was a good day.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me 1995.. I was only 12 and very impressionable and I remember just sneaking into the finals and riding that wave right to the end !!

And who better to beat in the G F then desmond himself and his sea sparrows .. suck sh!t Des and F#ck Off

Malla

Reaction score
2004 will always be up there. I think I didn't leave Belmore for 2 weeks straight.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
2004 will always be 1 of the best nights of my life going to the GF and then celebrating in belmore afterwards....absolute scenes!
but 1998 wasnt far off either... we had such a good finals run and i was at a couple of those games... thats what supporting the bulldogs was always about for me...those comebacks...never out of the game even when playing poorly...
2012 we should of won but buckled on the big day...2014 id rather forget all together
1994 was my first disappointment at 8 yrs old...remember spending GF that night sulking in my room!

hope this team is worth supporting again when my daughter is a bit older... thankfully shes only almost 1...so this season wont scar her too much lol

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I remember the night when i Nigel Vagana scored 5 tries and we were going crazy in the crowd and we ended up on TV, the shit thing was we had called in sick from work that day and our Supervisors had seen us. He wasn't too happy
Hahaha.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember the days when we used know what we were doing in the opposition 20m zone...

WPN32R

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When channel 9 caught me with my tits out aganist the knights in the one of the finals series cant remeber wich year

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
2004 will always be 1 of the best nights of my life going to the GF and then celebrating in belmore afterwards....absolute scenes!
but 1998 wasnt far off either... we had such a good finals run and i was at a couple of those games... thats what supporting the bulldogs was always about for me...those comebacks...never out of the game even when playing poorly...
2012 we should of won but buckled on the big day...2014 id rather forget all together
1994 was my first disappointment at 8 yrs old...remember spending GF that night sulking in my room!

hope this team is worth supporting again when my daughter is a bit older... thankfully shes only almost 1...so this season wont scar her too much lol
I came from up Melbourne for 1994 Grand Final.
I was so confident as we had been minor premiers 1993 & 1994.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

What about the Robert Relf offload to Rod Silva in the prelim final against Parramatta!!
We could use some offloads and support play like that on Sunday.
Comebacks against Newcastle and Parramatta were amazing.

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember us beating the Panthers the last couple of times we met in the finals.
The law of averages means the Panthers are due to beat us on Sunday which means the team will have to dig deep from the whistle to save us from doom.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sunday June 7 , 1992 at Belmore. Dogs Vs Brisbane tied at 24all with only a few minutes left.

Terry Lamb does some magic off the scrum, breaks through the line and scores - we win 28-24.

Was young then but old enough to remember.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the Robert Relf offload to Rod Silva in the prelim final against Parramatta!!
We could use some offliads and support play like that on Sunday.
Comebacks against Newcastle and Parramatta were amazing.
Was at that game - greatest come back I've seen live.

I remember as a boy the 1988 GF vs Balmain as the day I truly fell in love with Canterbury.
Was at that game also - from the opening whistle it was obvious we had turned up. Great game, great win.

Thanks for the memories guys.

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
too young to remember much of the 80's. but I remember the 1994 run - only to be crushed by Canberra. Martin Bella!

Redemption in 1995 with a truly backs-to-the wall premiership.

And the 1998 finals run was legendary Bulldog spirit. Never-say-die attitude.

1999 Ricky Stuart banana kick to end our hopes. I reckon if we beat Melbourne - we win the comp.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
too young to remember much of the 80's. but I remember the 1994 run - only to be crushed by Canberra. Martin Bella!

1999 Ricky Stuart banana kick to end our hopes. I reckon if we beat Melbourne - we win the comp.
1994 Major semi win vs Canberra was sensational. The GF was heartbreaking. I was there.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
2 biggest memories as a kid-

1. Watching my first ever rugby league game which was the 1985 GF. My best mate went for the Dragons but my dad went for the Bulldogs. I had a decision to make and made the right one.

2. My first ever live game in 1989. We played Illawarra at Belmore and my dad took me. We won 28-18 with Terry Lamb scoring 2 tries. What a great day.

My father has passed away since then so I'm glad I have those memories with him and that I shared those firsts with him.

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Was at that game - greatest come back I've seen live.
Shit were you at that game!
I had to drop my son back at his Mother's house.
Dad had come up to my place to watch it.
Remember I live in Melbourne so no radio coverage.
When I got home asked dad how we were going?
He just shook his head.
Then sat down and watched 32 minutes of the best rugby league ever.
Last twelve minutes regular then 20 minutes extra.
Also who was no.1 for parra?
He had the worst 30 minutes ever in the game.

A good mate of mine Damian Smith also lives in Melbourne also a big doggies fan was driving from Newcastle to Sydney that Sunday afternoon.
When he went through Sydney said the dogs fans were just giving it to the Parramatta supporters.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Yes I remember that kick.
I came into work on Monday, Westpac 360 Collins Street and the work colleagues gave it to me with no mercy.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2002-2004 was an amazing time to be a bulldogs fan, we were so good and even though we got crushed by the salary cap in 2002 we came back and won it 2 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.