Let’s have a chat: Bulldogs officials keen to meet reinstated pair

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Let’s have a chat: Bulldogs officials keen to meet reinstated pair

Jayden Okunbor has been outed until round 15 Picture: Getty Images

Corey Harawira-Naera is unhappy with his treatment from the Bulldogs Picture: Getty Images
  • BRENT READ
  • 27 MINUTES AGO JULY 15, 2020
    • FACEBOOK
    • TWITTER
    • WHATSAPP
    • EMAIL
      CANTERBURY OFFICIALS WILL CONSULT THE CLUB’S LEADERSHIP GROUP AND PLAN TO SET UP PERSONAL MEETINGS WITH COREY HARAWIRA-NAERA AND JAYDEN OKUNBOR AS THEY LOOK TO THRASH OUT THE FUTURES OF REINSTATED PAIR BEFORE THE WEEKEND.

HARAWIRA-NAERA AND OKUNBOR WERE DEREGISTERED BY THE GAME AND SACKED BY THE CLUB FOLLOWING A PRE-SEASON INCIDENT IN PORT MACQUARIE, BUT SUBSEQUENTLY HAD THEIR CONTRACTS REINSTATED AFTER THEY SUCCESSFULLY APPEALED TO THE NRL APPEALS COMMITTEE.

BOTH ARE WELL WITHIN THEIR RIGHTS TO RETURN TO THE BULLDOGS, ALTHOUGH HARAWIRA-NAERA HAS ANOTHER WEEK REMAINING ON HIS SUSPENSION AND OKUNBOR HAS BEEN OUTED UNTIL ROUND 15.

IN HARAWIRA-NAERA’S CASE THERE IS INTEREST FROM SEVERAL CLUBS AND HE IS UNDERSTOOD TO BE UPSET WITH THE WAY HE WAS FROZEN OUT BY THE BULLDOGS – CANBERRA, THE WARRIORS AND ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA HAVE ALL EXPRESSED AN INTEREST IN THE NEW ZEALAND INTERNATIONAL.

ADVERTISEMENT
      CONTENT RESUMES ON SCROLL
      THE BULLDOGS WILL HAVE THE FINAL SAY. THEY WANT TO KNOW WHERE THEY STAND AND ARE KEEN TO MEET HARAWIRA-NAERA BEFORE THE WEEKEND GIVEN THERE IS A SENSE OF URGENCY AROUND HIS FUTURE.

HARAWIRA-NAERA, WHOSE SANCTION WAS REDUCED TO A 10-GAME SUSPENSION, COULD BE AVAILABLE TO TURN OUT FOR THE BULLDOGS OR ANOTHER CLUB IN LESS THAN A FORTNIGHT, ALTHOUGH THE GAME’S CURRENT BIOSECURITY PROTOCOLS MEAN HE MAY BE FORCED TO WAIT ANOTHER WEEK.

KAYO IS YOUR TICKET TO THE 2020 NRL TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP. EVERY GAME OF EVERY ROUND LIVE & ON-DEMAND WITH NO-AD BREAKS DURING PLAY. NEW TO KAYO? GET YOUR 14-DAY FREE TRIAL & START STREAMING INSTANTLY >

BEFORE HE GETS THAT FAR, HE NEEDS TO RESOLVE THINGS WITH THE BULLDOGS. IT WON’T BE EASY. HARAWIRA-NAERA PROVIDED AN INSIGHT INTO HIS FEELINGS WHEN HE ISSUED A STATEMENT TO THE AUSTRALIAN EARLIER THIS WEEK AND SAID THE WIDESPREAD SPECULATION AS TO WHAT OCCURRED CONTAINED MANY INACCURACIES AND FALSEHOODS.

WHILE THE JURY REMAINS OUT ON THEIR RESPECTIVE FUTURES, THEIR TEAMMATES WOULD WELCOME THEM BACK WITH OPEN ARMS.

“FROM A PLAYING POINT OF VIEW – ALL THE PLAYERS ARE IN (AGREEMENT) – WE WANT THEM BACK,” FORWARD AIDEN TOLMAN SAID. “NOW THAT THE NRL HAS DOWNGRADED THEIR (BANS) AND THEIR CONTRACTS HAVE BEEN REINSTATED … I THINK COREY COULD BE AVAILABLE NEXT WEEK.

“US AS PLAYERS, IF THE NRL BELIEVES THEY HAVE DONE THEIR TIME AND THE PENALTY IS WARRANTED, WE WANT THEM BACK HERE AND WE WANT THEM BACK PLAYING. I THINK THE CLUB AND THEIR MANAGEMENT, AND THE PLAYERS THEMSELVES, THEY HAVE TO NEGOTIATE WHAT THE OUTCOME IS AND WHAT THEY WANT TO DO.

“FOR US AS A PLAYING GROUP, THE NRL HAS MADE THEIR RULING, THEY HAVE GIVEN THEIR PENALTIES, THEY HAVE DONE THEIR TIME OUT OF THE GAME. IF THEY ARE AVAILABLE TO COME BACK, WE DEFINITELY WANT THEM PLAYING.”

TOLMAN REVEALED SOME BULLDOGS PLAYERS HAD MAINTAINED CONTACT WITH THE PAIR.

“WE HAVEN’T BEEN ABLE TO SEE ANYBODY OUTSIDE THE BUBBLE,” HE SAID. “I DON’T THINK ANY PLAYER HERE HAS SEEN THEM. WE TEXT, WE PHONE CALL. THEY ARE CLOSE TO A LOT OF THE BOYS HERE.”

TOLMAN, MEANWHILE, URGED THE BULLDOGS HIERARCHY TO UNITE AMID SUGGESTIONS THE CLUB HAS BECOME RIFE WITH POLITICKING BEHIND THE SCENES. EARLIER THIS WEEK, THE BULLDOGS MADE THE DIFFICULTY DECISION TO PART WAYS WITH COACH DEAN PAY.

PENRITH ASSISTANT TRENT BARRETT IS THE FAVOURITE TO TAKE OVER, ALTHOUGH POWERBROKERS CONTINUE TO EXPLORE OTHER OPTIONS.

“I DON’T THINK THE PLAYERS NEED TO GET INVOLVED IN BOARD GOINGS ON BUT I WILL SAY THAT LEADERSHIP STARTS AT THE TOP OF PLACES AND WE NEED THAT TO FILTER DOWN,” TOLMAN SAID.

“I’M NOT SAYING WHAT THEY’VE DONE IS RIGHT OR WRONG. BUT I AM SAYING THAT WE HAVE SOME CLEAR CLARITY NOW IN THE DIRECTION THAT WE’RE MOVING.”

BRENT READ
      SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
      BRENT READ IS ONE OF RUGBY LEAGUE'S AGENDA SETTERS BUT IS ALSO AMONG THE NATION'S MOST WELL-KNOWN GOLF WRITERS. HE ALSO COVERS OLYMPIC SPORTS, WRITING WITH AUTHORITY, WIT AND ENTHUSIASM. BRENT BEGAN HIS CAREER ... READ MORE

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wait and see I guess..!!

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big positive for our future if Chn is signed he is a Bloody machine and would be amazing under a good coach with a good fullback

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caps lock hurt my eyes...

Definitely some momentum gathering to get them back playing for us and some subtle digs at the handling of the situation, no doubt placing a bit more pressure on the board to get this right...
Thought someone was angry.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
not with these articles circulating every 30min....

Screenshot_20200715-211404_WhatsApp.jpg

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wouldnt be surprise if he is dirty with the club and wants to leave. The club never stands up for its players, the same way they hung Graham out to dry in 2015, Elliot last year and CHN this year, we cant expect loyalty if we dont stick up for our own.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
CHN yes, Okun17yoinstagramthotchaserbur no

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone else thinking that this had a factor in sacking Pay this week. He seemed the most pissed off at these players now he’s gone maybe we can mend a bridge with CHN in particular? I don’t think he is as easy to replace as others seem to think.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
not with these articles circulating every 30min....

View attachment 15971
I'm sick to death of these journalists with opportunistic sensationalised Stories. James Hooper's headline says "I don't want to wear a bulldogs jersey", but as I read through the story there's not one direct quote from Harawira-Niara stating this. Wiedler, Kent & Hooper always push the agendas of their undisclosed allies through their crypted messages & the Bulldogs always cop it through the power of their keyboards.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they have their chat at a cafe I hope there are no teenage girls working there. Kidding!

images.jpeg

Reactions: DT

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see why they would wait until Friday to have the meeting. Why not have it asap to end speculation.
Just another example of the board sitting on their hands