News Lessons from a legend helping Kerrod Holland fill big Dog’s shoes

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=c28136132d1ee198435b68e017370ae0-1545372789

Kerrod Holland hasn’t yet played 50 games in the NRL. He knows he’s not the most experienced player in the game.

But he feels prepared to step up into the shoes of Canterbury legend and his own personal mentor, Josh Morris.

Holland has spent his professional career working closely with one of rugby league’s best modern centres. Morris’s resume boasts six Tests for Australia, 14 State of Origins, and more than 260 club games.

“His understanding of the game, particularly as an outside back is outstanding. He’s probably one of the best defensive centres and has been for 10 years,” Holland told foxsports.com.au.

“He learned his trade off Matt Cooper at the Dragons when he was young and I just try to learn as much as I can off him.

“The positional play, the reads that you make and the indicators you make, and what you look our for, they are big, and I tried to learn as much as I could off him.

“He was really good at helping the young boys.”

Morris spent a decade in the blue and white but he’s now left Belmore for a fresh start at Cronulla.

It means two things for Holland; 1 - he now finds himself without his friend and mentor to lean on at training; and 2 - there’s positions available in the Bulldogs’ backline heading into the 2019 season.

The first point isn’t of too much concern for the 26-year-old centre they call ‘Dutchy’. He’s close enough to Morris that he is only ever just a text message away.

In fact the pair have been in regular contact as recently as this week. Morris reached out to Holland to check in after the latter had off-season surgery on both ankles.

“It was only two days ago J Moz sent me a message and asked how I was going with my ankles,” Holland said.

“I saw him last week as well, we both live over in the Shire.

“J Moz is a bloke I’ll keep in touch with fairly constantly. He’s a great bloke and I’ll always catch up for a beer with big J.”

As for the spot left vacant, it’s a sizeable void which Holland is hoping to fill for Canterbury coach Dean Pay.

The on-field role is one thing. Holland is no doubt in line to be a starting centre for the Bulldogs come Round 1, having finished the 2018 season in some fine form.

But it’s the off-field responsibility Holland is hoping to adopt from Morris.

The Bulldogs have lost a ton of experience from their squad in the past 18 months, with the likes of Aaron Woods, Moses Mbye, James Graham, Josh Morris, Brett Morris, Greg Eastwood, and David Klemmer all departing Belmore.

Holland might not have the representative or big-game experience of those guys, but would now be considered a “senior” at the club almost by default.

He knows it’s his turn to become the mentor Morris was to him.

“You can’t buy experience and we’ve probably lost 500 or 600 NRL games’ experience easily, plus representative football as well,” he said.

“You do lose that, and I think blokes who are over that 50 or 60-game mark really have to step up and take on the role, trying to help these young boys.

“Get them through training and get them to an NRL standard so they can be useful for the club and for the team moving forward.

“I was always learning and trying to learn as much as I could, particularly off Josh Morris. Now that he’s gone I see the same sort of role for me, to help the younger boys, the younger outside backs get to that standard that we want for our club.

“If I can better someone else it helps the club and helps the team, and that’s what we’re there to do.”

The post-season ankle surgery has put Holland behind the eight-ball, so to speak, as he’s missed out on two months’ training with the rest of the squad.

But he’s determined to push himself through the two-week Christmas break, and will even get some sessions in at his brother’s gym in Newcastle to make sure he’s up to speed by the time training resumes in January.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hopefully the off season surgery hasn't set him back.
I'm hoping for some big things from Dutchie this season.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could see a lot of J Moz in what Kerrod was doing this season. Not a bad choice for mentor

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sounds like he’s really committed to becoming the best player he can. He comes across as one of those no nonsense type players that isn’t in it for the fame or money but for the love of the game.

Can’t knock him for that and hopefully he has a massive season in 2019!

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a nothing story... Kerrod, Just tackle hard and stop having ***** run rings around you and you'll a first grade centre for a while.
100% - retire those turnstile arms!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He has been improving in defense which is usually the last thing rookies get good at. I think he will be fine, if his ankles hold up

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Nice that JMoz is still helping Dutchy after leaving.... shows he still loves the club and players.

Hope Dutchy builds on his awesome tail end to last season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We will only lose him for 1 game when SOO is on aye?

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if his defense could get to a level that was even half of jmoz's then we would be alright

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Hopefully Holland can start 2019 how he finished in 2018, him and Elliot always play shit till mid season then come good at the back half

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Been told Hoppa is training at right centre next to Smith ahead of Holland.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's not April 1st yet!!

So you're saying it'll be:
1. Meaney
2. Crichton
3. Hoppa
4. Holland
5. Smith

Montoya will be in there somewhere you'd have to assume.
Montoya won't be in the side, he was shocking last season. Meaney needs to start at fullback, Hoppa isn't good enough and we need someone to nail down the centre position. Hopefully Holland reverts back to the right with Smith when fit because I can't possibly find the logic in breaking Holland and Smith up.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Montoya won't be in the side, he was shocking last season. Meaney needs to start at fullback, Hoppa isn't good enough and we need someone to nail down the centre position. Hopefully Holland reverts back to the right with Smith when fit because I can't possibly find the logic in breaking Holland and Smith up.
Apparently Monty has been told he'll be in the centres this season.

There's no way Montoya is starting in NSW Cup, it was only season ending injury that lead to Smith being promoted.

Maybe Holland is going to move to the wing?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Apparently Monty has been told he'll be in the centres this season.

There's no way Montoya is starting in NSW Cup, it was only season ending injury that lead to Smith being promoted.

Maybe Holland is going to move to the wing?
Pay should be shot if Montoya is starting centre, just ridiculous. Bloke will play at ISP level and will stay there until injury or if he sorts his shit out. And he got demoted before injury.