Lebanon, you’ve earned my respect November 19, 2017 - 3:07 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Adam Safi, zero tackle.

Lebanon Cedars, you’ve proved me wrong

Languishing at the bottom of the Rugby League World Cup rankings, it was unexpected of the unknown Cedars to win a single game, however, they achieved that stand-alone win in this year’s tournament, thoroughly impressing me in the process.

Their biggest challenge wasn’t playing the reigning champions of Australia, rather it was the struggle to get on the field in the first place. Lack of funding, limited selection choice, the list goes on. Lebanon has come out of the blocks, to make a name for themselves, and ignite their Rugby League future.

The squad
Although the Cedar’s team mostly consists of semi-professional rugby league players, they still boasted a number of first-grade players, including NSW former Captain Robbie Farah.

Coach Brad Fittler has done a remarkable job to lift this team, that on paper, didn’t look promising, to almost securing them a preliminary final spot.

With an insufficient daily wage of $30, the majority of Lebanon players are already pre-occupied with businesses and tradesmen jobs.

“Our $30 heroes vs Kangaroos millionaires. ” said an inspiring Robbie Farah

Nick Kassis an electrician, Chris Saab who owns an earth-moving business, Jamie Clarka hard-working tradesman, Abbas Miski and Ray Moujalli who are committed personal trainers, Ahmad Eliaz who owns a popular charcoal chicken shop, while Ray Sabaat who lives in Lebanon, runs a gym in Jounieh.

Owning a coffee shop in Sydney’s South West, Jason Wehbe, a former Parramatta EelsHolden Cup player, abandoned his popular business for a month, to seize the opportunity to represent his heritage. Although it results in a significant financial slump, it emphasises the Cedar’s willingness to strive for their country.

Lebanon has been nothing short of inspirational in this year’s world cup, to overcome adversity and hardship, to still put up a fight against the world’s best.

“During the season they work during the day and train at night. But they don’t complain. They’re doing what they love.” – Robbie Farah

Their first ever World Cup victory
It all began in the opening round against France – when Lebanon’s prestige no.6 Mitchell Moses put on a world-class display to land Lebanon a finals berth. A roller-coaster of emotions, as Lebanon secured their first-ever World Cup win. Creating history, and enjoying their footy, Lebanon established themselves.

Then came their most-feared match of the tournament two weeks later, against the Kangaroos. Although they didn’t get a try on the score sheet, the score difference was only 10-0 at the break, impressing many, including coach Mal Meninga, who highly criticised his side’s performance. Lebanon showcased their utter courageousness, in the big stage of World Cup football.

World Cup finals berth
An unexpected finals berth emerged, it was then revealed that the Cedar’s opponent in the Semi-Finals would be the rampaging Tonga. Now, even after their three-week campaign, nobody gave them an ounce of a chance. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that Lebanon would only trail Tonga by two points, come the full-time siren.

It’s not what I anticipated, and I’m sure that the Cedar’s supporters didn’t expect it either. But they did it, they almost overcame a star-studded Tonga outfit, who boast Dally M players, and came off a three-week undefeated run.

You can’t help to applaud every single person who played part in Lebanon’s addition to the World Cup. They displayed courage like no other, and despite their experienced forwards enduring tournament-ending injuries one week prior to their final, their dedication and belief almost got them home.

The future
What does it mean? Success for the future of rugby league in Lebanon. Rugby league’s been exposed up north, and not only have Lebanon impressed in Australia, but have inspired hundreds of Lebanese kids, to the vision that maybe one day, they’d be strapping on the boots for the Cedars, to represent their cherished country.

You’ll be hard-pressed to find anyone that predicted Lebanon’s emergence, and they’ll undoubtedly go somewhere in Rugby League’s next instalment of the World Cup.

Already confirmed, Lebanon will participate in next year’s Pacific Test, against Papa New Guinea

Reflecting
Lebanon has proved that anything is possible in Rugby League – despite having an inexperienced squad, they still never gave in, and gave it their utmost capacity. Lebanon, has truly impressed many.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They where deadset robbed against Tonga, impressed the shit out of me also boys should hold their heads high. Lichaa really shined showing he's capable of being an elite Hooker with the rest. If he plays the way he has for Lebanon and continues to push wouldn't be surprised at a blues call up.

Great work boys.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bravo Fellas, did us all proud! Off to Chicken Lickin to get a chicken off Ellaz!

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I couldn't have been prouder on Saturday. The ballsiest display of footy I have ever seen.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They were brilliant played with alot of heart freddy did such a great job and really seemed to embrace the culture

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Without doubt the cedars were the fairytale side of the World Cup.

And one of the more enjoyable teams
I hope some of their players get a boost from the experience and kick on from here.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
well that i bet that makes up for everything

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was interesting as I gave Tonga a really good chance of winning the cup or at least making the final. Up against a bigger and more powerful team, Lebanon played smart football with few errors and took their chances brilliantly. Seeing what Lebanon did to Tonga, I can't see Tonga beating England or Australia now.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Lebanon should've won against tonga and the ref gave England the game.
Proud of the boys hopefully we can win the next World Cup.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lichaa was impressive and was not even playing match fit, once he gets a good pre season under him he will do wonders.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was interesting as I gave Tonga a really good chance of winning the cup or at least making the final. Up against a bigger and more powerful team, Lebanon played smart football with few errors and took their chances brilliantly. Seeing what Lebanon did to Tonga, I can't see Tonga beating England or Australia now.
I think Tonga took Lebanon too lightly (and Lebanon played amazing) and had an emotional letdown after the win over NZ. I think they will bounce back this weekend and beat England. It would be great to have a Tonga/Australia final - this is the first time i have supported Tonga in my life!!! lol. I hope Fiji and Australia is a close game too and refereeing does not influence the result of either game. Hopefully there is not England ref in the England game and an Aussie ref in the Aussie game.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
What they should do is bring back the Mediterranean Cup and make it an annual event during the international rep round - make the champions (current champions are Lebanon) take on another Mediterranean team for the title. The champions return every year to defend the title during rep round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.