League stars in student campus 'rampage'

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

atomic_crimson

dogs fans please dont stoop to the level of others outthere.. maintain some dignity... you gain nothing going down to the level of other supporters

Shifty

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Knights cop fine over drunken rampage
February 21, 2005 - 9:34PM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
The Newcastle Knights NRL club fined 12 players a total of $50,000 following a drunken rampage in a university dormitory in the NSW town of Bathurst at the weekend.

After two days of investigations and a marathon afternoon board meeting, the Knights announced a series of fines following the breach of a 3am curfew and related incidents involving a fire extinguisher and a bicycle.

The club is also continuing its investigation into a more serious matter, following allegations that one player indecently assaulted a female student.

The fines follow reports that Knights players went on a drunken rampage through a student dormitory at Charles Sturt University in Bathurst after a trial game on Saturday night.

"We believe we have treated these breaches extremely seriously with the largest fines for offences of his nature in the club's 18-year history," chairman Michael Hill told a media conference at the club's Newcastle headquarters.

"A further allegation has also been made against one of our players which is of a graver nature. We are dealing with this issue still and as such we have no further comment to make at this time."

Advertisement
AdvertisementOne un-named student described on radio how a player allegedly assaulted a student as she slept.

"He then went back towards the door, saw her on her bed face down, climbed on top of her, straddled her and began to touch her inappropriately," she said.

However, police said they had yet to receive an official complaint against the Knights players and had no evidence to support claims of an indecent assault.

The players fined were Dustin Cooper, Kurt Gidley, Mark Hughes, Matt Kennedy, Todd Lowrie, Blake Mueller, Luke Quigley, Kirk Reynoldson, Reegan Tanner, Dane Tilse, Daniel Tolar and Adam Woolnough.

No break-down of the fines was announced and the players had the right to appeal, Knights chief executive Ken Conway said.

"The rest of the team were fairly disgusted and the rest of the team were keen to make sure that the players concerned were named so that the players who weren't involved didn't have their names besmirched," Conway said.

"We think that's important.

"We believe the players know the code of conduct, know what's involved in making sure our game has a good image, have to take responsibility for their own actions and not hide behind blank statements."

Gidley, captain of the team in Bathurst, apologised to the club and its fans.

"I was the acting captain in Bathurst and on behalf of players who broke club curfew and acted inappropriately on Sunday morning, we would like to apologise without reservation for any offence taken by students at Charles Sturt University," he said.

"We realise that another matter of a more serious nature may still be the subject of further investigation.

"Irrespective of this we would like to express that our actions were unacceptable.

"We have breached our own code of conduct, the trust of our club and the supporters. We are committed now towards working hard to rebuild that trust."

The club and players may face further sanctions from the NRL - the game's governing body has the capacity to fine clubs and de-register players.

Last year the Bulldogs were hit with a $500,000 fine - $350,000 was suspended - over allegations of sexual misconduct in Coffs Harbour.

"We're accountable to the NRL and we await what action they're going to take," Hill said.

"We have an indication any action they take will be determined after action we might take."

The NRL declined to comment until Newcastle had completed its investigation into the more serious matter.

But NSW Premier Bob Carr called on NRL players and officials to clean up their image after the latest incident.

"I'm keen to see rugby league clean up its image ... clearly they accept that there is an onus on the game ... on the players to clean up its image in respect to these sorts of things," he said.

Conway said the Knights had become aware of the incident on Sunday morning when two players reported the matter to team officials.

He said the club immediately began an investigation, culminating in tonight's fines.

"Players at some point in time have to take responsibility for their actions and that's what today's investigation has been about," Conway said.

The financial repercussions of the Bathurst brouhaha could be dire for the club.

Newcastle, without the support of a leagues club, fights a yearly battle to make ends meet.

As of Monday, it still had not secured a major sponsor for this season.

"I have been very busy today investigating the allegations, I have not been afforded the opportunity to have discussions with any of our sponsors," Conway said.

"I would hope provided it is considered that we have dealt with the matter appropriately it wouldn't affect our sponsorship arrangements but that remains to be seen and it certainly is a concern."

Conway and Hill also absolved coach Michael Hagan and football manager Mark Sargent of any blame.

It's understood the pair spoke with players about their responsibilities prior to the trip and on the bus on the way to Bathurst.

Hagan and Sargent then conducted a head count when the players returned to their hotel at 3am.

It's understood the 12 players concerned then headed back out.

"They signed players in and made sure the players were back," Conway said.

Hill: "We don't think it's our responsibility to police 24-7.

"We believe the players have to take responsibility for their own actions."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Kn...runken-rampages/2005/02/21/1108834730468.html

dragons_princess

Hung it on Ma Wall
Reaction score
this isnt good for anyone concerned as a genuine knights supporter i am very and i repeat very dissapointed in all the players involved,

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Shifty said:
Amen to that, still disappointing for Rugby League.

yeah it is... but its no secret that most Rugby league players aint the smartest cookies in the jar!!

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
There is some major names in that list too.

I wonder why all the other players said they want the names announced so they could be in the clear? That does not sound like there is much team harmony there. Seems to me like they beleive something worse than reported has happened if they are so eager to not have their names involved. Also that whole reason could just be BS made up by the media.

dragons_princess

Hung it on Ma Wall
Reaction score
Bulldogs84 said:
yeah it is... but its no secret that most Rugby league players aint the smartest cookies in the jar!!
thats right alot of them think they are 10ft tall and bullitproof, which is kinda true cause there is alot of stuff that is kept major hush hush

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think the nrl will charge them. they have handled the the situation very good and david "jerk" gallop will let it stay at what the newcastle club fined them.

BULLDOGS BACK TO BACK DOG ATTACK 04/05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
PrInCeSs_KnIgHt said:
thats right alot of them think they are 10ft tall and bullitproof, which is kinda true cause there is alot of stuff that is kept major hush hush
That has happened in the past, but with the scrutiny nowadays it will be to tough to do so. The players are just going to start understanding that they have to be extremely aware of the way they act throughout their careers as footballers.

dragons_princess

Hung it on Ma Wall
Reaction score
Cammo said:
That has happened in the past, but with the scrutiny nowadays it will be to tough to do so. The players are just going to start understanding that they have to be extremely aware of the way they act throughout their careers as footballers.
i really do hope it does get through to them, because this kinda thing cant keep happning

Shifty

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cammo said:
There is some major names in that list too.

I wonder why all the other players said they want the names announced so they could be in the clear? That does not sound like there is much team harmony there. Seems to me like they beleive something worse than reported has happened if they are so eager to not have their names involved. Also that whole reason could just be BS made up by the media.
I think they've done exactly the right thing there (although they definitely shouldn't come out and announce any names related to the more serious incident until it has been fully investigated).

The Dogs should have done the same thing in hindsight. Those that have broken the code have let their team mates down and the ones who have done nothing wrong don't deserve to have their names dragged through the mud.

dragons_princess

Hung it on Ma Wall
Reaction score
thats why the knights named names, so that the players who didnt do wrong were spoken of, and those who did wrong could be seen as the offenders

Status
Not open for further replies.