News Last drinks: The tough conversation Gus Gould needs to have

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He has apparently been instrumental in landing us some major recruits, including Burton. I don't mind that he speaks his mind. Especially when he's right.
I think old Arthur tries to sell that he was involved but the main reason Burton signed is Barrett (luckily that was before he coached any of our games otherwise things might have been different).

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just regarding Adam Elliot, maybe there will be more to come out of yet and he will have something to say.... But at least so far it seems like he's sunk with his ship... Thought it would have been a bit more messy with regards to his sacking but paper talk is there was a mutual decision.... Think there is more to it than we will know, but looks as though accepted his fate....

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The only thing a sponsor should be able to say publicly is what's written on the playing strip. That's it. Anything more and it needs to go through the channels.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hardly nipping at the club's heels every week is he, has spoken "out of turn" twice all year?...idk who initiated that story but it's shitstirring nothing more...gets plenty of bites however as per usual LOL.
Idk if Arthur is a dickhead or not but he had an opinion(which i might add was not in favour with nearly all of our opinions about Elliott so likely why a fair few are pissed off im guessing)so what really? No need to be so reactionary imo chillax and have a spliff....storm in a thimble this shit.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardly nipping at the club's heels every week is he, has spoken "out of turn" twice all year?...idk who initiated that story but it's shitstirring nothing more...gets plenty of bites however as per usual LOL.
Idk if Arthur is a dickhead or not but he had an opinion(which i might add was not in favour with nearly all of our opinions about Elliott so likely why a fair few are pissed off im guessing)so what really? No need to be so reactionary imo chillax and have a spliff....storm in a thimble this shit.
Time for a drink at the Twin Willows

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Just give us the money and shut the fuck up!
We all pay our membership and then have plenty to say on TK, I'm not sure I understand the difference, the journo's quote a lot of it. Laundy pays ~10,000 times as much as we do, doesn't that entitle him to say ~10,000 more than we do. Seems fair to me.

Always a Bulldog

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't think he should have the final say, A opinion yes but that can be dangerous ,I can see it now unless y ou keep him I'll pull my money

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Laundy can have his opinion he just needs to voice it to the right people at the club. There’s no need for him to give a running commentary on every club matter to the likes of Rothfield and other media.

I’m yet to see anything besides talk from him anyway. Hopefully Warburton can secure a proper sponsor soon.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm certain that Laundy was on a heavily discounted Sponsorship in the first instance?

I appreciate the $$$ and I would expect that after this year his amount being paid should dramatically increase however it does rub me the wrong way that he's been around for 5 minutes with the club and expects to have a Politis type involvement. To me he has massively overreached his position this year with the issues he's involved himself in as mentioned in the article.

He's a Politis whanabe and who knows, one day he may be that for us. My point is, get some fukin time up and earn your legacy at the club before thinking you deserve everything. Typical rich c#nt attitude thinking that cause he drops some dosh over that he owns everyone now.

I agree the Club needs to put him back in his place, especially after publicly bagging us. If he wants Idiot to have a 4th chance then employee him yourself at some dingy bar you own. If him getting corrected makes him walk then so be it, unfortunate as it is but we survived before him and can again without him. You don't own the Dogs c#nt!

My held in rant for some time.

Dogahol

Waterboy
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm certain that Laundy was on a heavily discounted Sponsorship in the first instance?

I appreciate the $$$ and I would expect that after this year his amount being paid should dramatically increase however it does rub me the wrong way that he's been around for 5 minutes with the club and expects to have a Politis type involvement. To me he has massively overreached his position this year with the issues he's involved himself in as mentioned in the article.

He's a Politis whanabe and who knows, one day he may be that for us. My point is, get some fukin time up and earn your legacy at the club before thinking you deserve everything. Typical rich c#nt attitude thinking that cause he drops some dosh over that he owns everyone now.

I agree the Club needs to put him back in his place, especially after publicly bagging us. If he wants Idiot to have a 4th chance then employee him yourself at some dingy bar you own. If him getting corrected makes him walk then so be it, unfortunate as it is but we survived before him and can again without him. You don't own the Dogs c#nt!

My held in rant for some time.
He's a sponsor. Let him talk. What is the big deal?

The bloke can be very influential. Why would you want to shut him up? Might be controversial but he's a Bulldogs fan so lets see if he can help push us into good positions.

I don't believe he's like our former chairman who wanted to be Politis but rather than do things to help the club was only interested in their own pockets.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
OPINION

Sponsorships are hard to come by in rugby league.
When you get a good one, you'll do just about everything to hold onto them.

Most sponsors are happy to sit at arm's length and let administrators administrate, coaches coach and players play.
As long as their parking spot at the ground is secure, the corporate box doesn't run out of grog and there are no off-field dramas, the sponsor is not seen and heard too often.

Then there are the likes of Arthur Laundy, the billionaire pub baron whose hotel group is pumping millions into the Canterbury Bulldogs.

“I intend to become very involved,” Laundy declared when he was confirmed as the club's major sponsor last year.

And he's been true to his word.

In just over 12 months, Laundy has threatened to withdraw his sponsorship over a boardroom skirmish, labelled the Panthers 'selfish" for not releasing Matt Burton to the Dogs early and involved himself in player recruitment.

How much influence should you allow a sponsor just because he's helping pay the bills?

Where does a sponsor's influence start and end?

The bosses at Canterbury might want to ask themselves this question after Laundy launched into the club for sacking Adam Elliott.

Laundy told the Daily Telegraph's Phil Rothfield: "I've told the club I'm extremely disappointed. I don't like kicking a person when they're down."

Canterbury won three games in 2021. It was one of the worse performances by a club in the NRL era.

Trent Barrett is fighting for his coaching life and knows he will be gone if the blue and whites don't at least threaten the top eight next year.

They are desperately trying to turn their fortunes around, picking up some key player signings and appointing the astute Phil Gould as general manager.

The Dogs have identified discipline – on and off the field – as one of the key ingredients to the planned revival and are demanding buy-in from the players.
Elliott's impromptu rendezvous with Millie Boyle in cubicle three at the White Rhino is not what they’re looking for.

This was a third alcohol-related strike against Elliott and he simply had to go otherwise Canterbury's cultural re-build is founded on sand.

Some are calling it a "convenience sacking" to free up salary cap money, but why give your bosses the chance to give you the bullet when your rap sheet is so bad?

Laundy argued Elliott deserved a fourth chance, saying the forward's indiscretions were more stupid than criminal.

Gus might want to remind Laundy that while his financial support is appreciated, bagging the club publicly is not.
Laundy is NOT a billionaire and isn't investing millions in the Bulldogs...
Laundy IS a power hungry opportunist...
He is Mr 1 year free & 1 year 1/2 price sponsor !!!
The sooner uncle Arthur follows his friends Anderson Hill and Dunn the better the club will be.

Last edited:

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great article

This guy is a fuckwitt laudy
Never liked him and thinks he is politia power figure.

Can we get a new sponsor

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he needs to run his mouth, do a post game interview each round and call out any poor officiating and give credit to anything good the club / players do each week.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who wrote this drivel?

Uncle Arthur is the conscience of this club and adds much needed financial clout. People are just uncomfortable about the fact he spoke truth about Elliott and tapped into their barely repressed feelings of guilt over their shitty behaviour. Thank you for being a good bloke, Uncle Arthur. The sooner you have Warburton's job, the better.
Truth?
That he deserves 4th chance?
He is an idiot

I hope he withdrawal the sponsorship and save Elliot as a bar man