Laser eye surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You've all misread the thread.. Mrs wants "Laser Eye" surgery, not Lasered Eye surgery.

She wants to have surgery so that she can shoot a laserbeam from one of her eyes... and I for one think that's a bloody cool idea *thumbs up*... just don't look up at helicopters/planes please!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
My brother-in-law got it done and he said it's the best thing he's ever done. Different people have different needs and I suppose that comes into play.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had lasik done in September last year. Best decision and money I have spent so far.

My eyes were -3.0 left and -3.5 in my right, with astigmatism in both. I had to wear my glasses almost all the time...if I wanted to read or make out details in peoples faces lol

I paid $1800 per eye with http://www.personaleyes.com.au/ with Dr. Bala. Could not fault anything. They take car of everything, all you got to do is be on time for your appointments.

During the surgery he talked me through everything he was doing. All staff were extremely friendly and professional.

I now have 20-20 vision in my left and just under that in my right (he explained before that 20-20 is not possible in my right eye, as even with lenses I couldn't achieve that. Something about that part of my brain not being capable of processing clear images). But never been happier.

I'm going overseas later this year, and knowing that I don't have to worry about glasses and contacts whilst travelling is going to be fan-****ing-tastic.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
In saying that, not everyone is eligible. My cornea was almost too thin to operate on, as they laser part of it away. So if it's too thin they'll go right through.

And I think past a certain range they cannot perform lasik (but there are other options like ICL), I was almost past that range. So im a very happy chappy that I just scraped in.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I had lasik done in September last year. Best decision and money I have spent so far.

My eyes were -3.0 left and -3.5 in my right, with astigmatism in both. I had to wear my glasses almost all the time...if I wanted to read or make out details in peoples faces lol

I paid $1800 per eye with http://www.personaleyes.com.au/ with Dr. Bala. Could not fault anything. They take car of everything, all you got to do is be on time for your appointments.

During the surgery he talked me through everything he was doing. All staff were extremely friendly and professional.

I now have 20-20 vision in my left and just under that in my right (he explained before that 20-20 is not possible in my right eye, as even with lenses I couldn't achieve that. Something about that part of my brain not being capable of processing clear images). But never been happier.

I'm going overseas later this year, and knowing that I don't have to worry about glasses and contacts whilst travelling is going to be fan-****ing-tastic.
It appears the prices are comming down tot he point where its becoming cheaper to have lazik than keep paying for glasses/contacts/prescription sunnies etc. Almost a no brainer (if, as Moe correctly pints out, you are eligible - which i think most people are these days).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Has anybody had this done?
I'm really considering it as I'm now a -5.5 in both eyes with astigmatism in my left eye.
I now rely on wearing glasses for both long and short distance (yes I'm as blind maybe even blinder than a bat).

Just wanting some feedback on anyone who's done it and where you got it done.

Cheers.
A few friends had it done and they claim it's the best thing they've ever done.

When I first had my eyes tested, I talked to the Optometrist about Laser eye surgery and she said that not all people can get it and due to my Astigmatism I may not be able to get it. That was about 6 years ago though and I think the technology has advanced since then. If I could afford it and it worked for me, I'd get it.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Stupid question..... are you under when they operate?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Stupid question..... are you under when they operate?
No. You get a couple of eye drops that work as an anesthetic. When they kick in it feels very weird.

The surgeon can talk with you during the procedure. Whole thing takes less than half an hour all up (although the lead up prep does take several hours).

You do need someone to help you home as your vision takes a bit of time to recover. But one can go to work the next day and all is good.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I had a goal in life it would be to have (or close to) 20/20 vision. It sucks even with glasses not being able to make out the finer details with anything.

And that's so cheap. I will check this out. Thanks so much!!

My brother-in-law got it done and he said it's the best thing he's ever done. Different people have different needs and I suppose that comes into play.
Thought you'd prefer me with my glasses on kennel husband? Lol

Awake apparently. They just put some anaesthetic drops in your eyes then go wild.
That would feel so weird. I'm very sensitive with this stuff so I think keeping my eyes open is going to be a challenge lol

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've all misread the thread.. Mrs wants "Laser Eye" surgery, not Lasered Eye surgery.

She wants to have surgery so that she can shoot a laserbeam from one of her eyes... and I for one think that's a bloody cool idea *thumbs up*... just don't look up at helicopters/planes please!
I just wanna be able to shoot down nuts from trees and feast on them lol

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No. You get a couple of eye drops that work as an anesthetic. When they kick in it feels very weird.

The surgeon can talk with you during the procedure. Whole thing takes less than half an hour all up (although the lead up prep does take several hours).

You do need someone to help you home as your vision takes a bit of time to recover. But one can go to work the next day and all is good.
Yeh my doc went crazy with anaesthetic. He had like 3 bottles of drops in 1 hand constantly using them

It's really cool though, when they are lasering, I could smell the tissue in my eyes burning. Once they pull the flap down, they put some sort of paste over my eyes to help it heal. So straight after all I could see was white fog.

But best part of the whole experience is they give you a valium an hour before to relax you, then put you in one of those $5000 massage chairs that gives you a full body massage, took me to another planet

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh my doc went crazy with anaesthetic. He had like 3 bottles of drops in 1 hand constantly using them

It's really cool though, when they are lasering, I could smell the tissue in my eyes burning. Once they pull the flap down, they put some sort of paste over my eyes to help it heal. So straight after all I could see was white fog.

But best part of the whole experience is they give you a valium an hour before to relax you, then put you in one of those $5000 massage chairs that gives you a full body massage, took me to another planet
I just want it for the valum now. That's crazy

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I've worn glasses for about 15 years, it's ****ed. Been thinking about laser lately, my mum had it done when it first became available to Australia years ago, still has to wear reading glasses though

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've worn glasses for about 15 years, it's ****ed. Been thinking about laser lately, my mum had it done when it first became available to Australia years ago, still has to wear reading glasses though
An unfortunate consequence of ageing. Few people get old and don;t have to wear glasses for reading etc, even those who have laser surgery when they are younger.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Oh year, I forgot to mention the Valium!

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have both astigmatism and Keratoconus in my left eye.

Actually I have Keratoconus in both eyes but it doesn't effect my vision on my right eye.

I wear a Hard contact lens, but I just hit 40 and I am sick of cleaning it every dam day so I want to get laser this year sometime.

From what my Optometrist advised me there are 2 types of surgeries Lasik is the older way of doing it, which they don't do as much, I am about -6 in my left eye so if I lose my lens I can't see much at all.

I know of mates that have had it done and only paid about $2000, which seems pretty good.

My Optometrist recommended Vision Eye Institute

Status
Not open for further replies.