Laser eye surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody had this done?
I'm really considering it as I'm now a -5.5 in both eyes with astigmatism in my left eye.
I now rely on wearing glasses for both long and short distance (yes I'm as blind maybe even blinder than a bat).

Just wanting some feedback on anyone who's done it and where you got it done.

Cheers.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
my sister did it 10 years ago,

she has always been a bookworm and had a -8.0 on both eyes when she was 10.

thats a no brainer for her to get that done.

only issue and major issue is if on old age (God forbid) you get cattaract disease then it cant be treated cos as i understand they cut the cornea to do the laser treatment...atleast that is how it was 10 years ago when my sister did , may be the technology has changed now.

but that was a major draw back of laser treatment back then.

check with your doctor, other wise it has been a life changer for my sister.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Whats wrong with glasses? You can pass as a naughty secretary lol

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
my sister did it 10 years ago,

she has always been a bookworm and had a -8.0 on both eyes when she was 10.

thats a no brainer for her to get that done.

only issue and major issue is if on old age (God forbid) you get cattaract disease then it cant be treated cos as i understand they cut the cornea to do the laser treatment...atleast that is how it was 10 years ago when my sister did , may be the technology has changed now.

but that was a major draw back of laser treatment back then.

check with your doctor, other wise it has been a life changer for my sister.
From what I understand they don't cut it anymore. I've had a look and they just remove the first layer that is affecting the vision.

From what I've also been told is now if you're more than -7 they won't do it because it won't work. That I find hard to believe

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats wrong with glasses? You can pass as a naughty secretary lol
Lol, I enjoyed it when I didn't have to wear them all the time. Now I'm obliged to buy prescription sunglasses too. That was the last straw for me

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Why do you want laser eyes are you joining the Xmen.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Do it. Do it. Do it.

Best money I ever spent and ever will spend.

I can't recommend it enough.

But don't go overseas. Eyes are too important.

I had Dr Versace do it at Bondi Junction.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it. Do it. Do it.

Best money I ever spent and ever will spend.

I can't recommend it enough.

But don't go overseas. Eyes are too important.

I had Dr Versace do it at Bondi Junction.
Awesome! If you don't mind my asking how much did it set you back?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'm supposed to have a graft in my RE as the cornea is so thin it's in danger of rupturing, but have to go through the public system. Just hoping I get in before it's too late to save it and I am reduced to an eyepatch or something hehe. All the pirate references would drive me crazy.

I'd say if you can afford it and vision is that bad, do it for sure. I do some part time work for an optometrist and it really is amazing what they can do these days. The procedure is quite simple these days and generally pretty damn effective.

Good luck!

Wow, I can't believe its letting me post on here. I haven't been able to post on here using my phone for months without it auto refreshing. This is a very encouraging sign hehe.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome! If you don't mind my asking how much did it set you back?
I think it was $6.6k. That included pre and post appointments.

I was a little lucky as i did it back in the day when you could get a partial tax rebate (which has been phased out and I think no longer exists). I know some private funds will give you a small rebate (and so they should, considering how much you will be saving them in glasses).

Not cheap i know, but the next morning after surgery, when u wake up seeing the clock, heading to the shower and realizing you can see... the feeling is pretty awesome. You can spend that on a flash holiday.. but I know which I'd rather have. Most places also have plans.

I had mine 4 years ago and have not looked back. I will say my best friend who did it a couple years earlier had to go back for a small tweak a year or so layer but that was all free.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
At the time I was -4 on left and -3 on right with a stigmatism.

So mid range on the blindness scale.

I now almost forget about the 20 years I had to wear glasses. No foggy glasses on a sweaty day, no closing my eyes in the pool, no fiddling with contacts.

For me personally, vanity never came into it... it was the sheer convenience.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the time I was -4 on left and -3 on right with a stigmatism.

So mid range on the blindness scale.

I now almost forget about the 20 years I had to wear glasses. No foggy glasses on a sweaty day, no closing my eyes in the pool, no fiddling with contacts.

For me personally, vanity never came into it... it was the sheer convenience.
I was already convinced but I'm even more convinced now. Thanks CD. Now I can't wait. I did find a doctor who will do it for 3k for both eyes and on a payment plan too. I'm gonna book it soon so I don't get any worse. I just cannot wait to be able to watch a movie without squinting even with glasses on, seeing things people point out and most of all when I wear eye make up I'll actually be able to see it rather than them being hidden under frames.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I was already convinced but I'm even more convinced now. Thanks CD. Now I can't wait. I did find a doctor who will do it for 3k for both eyes and on a payment plan too. I'm gonna book it soon so I don't get any worse. I just cannot wait to be able to watch a movie without squinting even with glasses on, seeing things people point out and most of all when I wear eye make up I'll actually be able to see it rather than them being hidden under frames.
Tgat sounds like a great price. .. I guess the technology gets cheaper and better all the time.

You will love being able to lay in bed or on couch and watch TV, read a book or surf the kennel.

We look forward to seeing how you go.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
From what I understand they don't cut it anymore. I've had a look and they just remove the first layer that is affecting the vision.

From what I've also been told is now if you're more than -7 they won't do it because it won't work. That I find hard to believe

bullcrap, my sister had magnifying glasses when she did it.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Father in-law had it done.
Still needs glasses and now has to put drops in his eyes every hour.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would they do it even if they know your eyes keep getting worse each year.

I remember from years ago they would only do it if your eyesight was stable (even if poor).

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Best of luck with it! Hopefully they correct your lens and all is good after :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.