Lamb annoints Loko Dogs' No.1 in NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lamb annoints Loko Dogs' No.1 in NRL

Luckless back Jacob Loko is the man who can solve Canterbury's fullback conundrum according to Terry Lamb, with the Bulldogs great comparing him to a young Sonny Bill Williams.

The former Parramatta Eel has begun training with this year's NRL grand finalists after four years of setbacks due to a series of knee injuries and complications.

When he debuted for the Eels in 2011, good judges ear-marked him a possible future representative player and he was part of the Blues' emerging squad.

But injury restricted him to just 23 NRL appearances since then.

After being off-loaded to the Dogs in the middle of this year to ease pressure on the Eels' salary cap, he has made a strong impression on Belmore officials, including club ambassador Lamb.

The Bulldogs have been searching for a longterm fullback since the departure of Ben Barba.

Sam Perrett acquitted himself admirably during the side's run to the 2014 decider and is in the running for the role next year along with Loko and Brett Morris, who has been recruited from St George Illawarra to join brother Josh in the backline.

Loko, 22, has had miserable luck with injury in his young career, not just undergoing two knee reconstructions but twice suffering staph infections.

He has not played since round 13 2013 but Lamb said he was in awe of the youngster after watching him during pre-season training.

"He's got the body of Sonny Bill, seriously," said Lamb at the Jack Newton Celebrity Classic golf tournament in NSW's Hunter Valley.

"I went into the gym and I looked at him. I saw Sonny when he first came through and I saw how his body was. Jacob has a very, very similar body.

"Almost the same height and everything."

Loko is in pre-season training with the Bulldogs and is running but is yet to do full contact work.

It is not known if he will be ready for the 2015 trials with coach Des Hasler unlikely to make that call until the New Year.

Lamb's advice to Loko was to aim to make slow but steady progress in 2015, including spending time in NSW Cup, but said he had the potential to be the best player in the squad with a few seasons under his belt.

He said Loko was his pick to wear the No.1 jersey next year and he would partner Brett Morris with his brother in the outside backs, having played together there at representative level.

"Everyone's saying (Morris) should be fullback but I think he should be on the wing," Lamb said.

"You don't break (their combination) up. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/lamb-annoints-loko-dogs-no1-in-nrl-20141216-3moka.html

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... I agree on wanting to keep J&B Moz on the same side as winger and fullback, but I really don't see Loko as a Fullback. That's a very out there thought haha, I personally don't feel that he could outperform Perret there tbh

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... I agree on wanting to keep J&B Moz on the same side as winger and fullback, but I really don't see Loko as a Fullback. That's a very out there thought haha, I personally don't feel that he could outperform Perret there tbh
Big if is how he is under the high ball. I do not know how he would go under a high bomb on our goal line.

And Fitness would also be interesting. Yes he is bulk and all, but he has been injured for a while and doubt his fitness is too flash.

Not the worse idea going around.

Bit weird Lamb saying he looks like SBW and such. Placing high expectations on the poor bloke plus if he is like SBW in build wouldnt he be more suited to second row/lock then?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We have no room left for anymore backrowers.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I would love to see Loko lose a bit of bulk and be a GI style fullback.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't mind idea if this guys body holds up and we get him firing he could be anything..at parra couple of years ago I remember him dominating every centre he was up against all be it for a short while but man he's still very young

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can't see it. Not agile, fit, smart enough.

Centre winger backrower

2nd phase play

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How fast is this kid!
I know he's strong and has a good step but never seen him in open ground.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL 2015: Terry Lamb anoints Jacob Loko Bulldogs’ fullback for next season

LUCKLESS back Jacob Loko is the man who can solve Canterbury’s fullback conundrum according to Terry Lamb, with the Bulldogs great comparing him to a young Sonny Bill Williams.

The former Parramatta Eel has begun training with this year’s NRL grand finalists after four years of setbacks due to a series of knee injuries and complications.

When he debuted for the Eels in 2011, good judges ear-marked him a possible future representative player and he was part of the Blues’ emerging squad.

More at

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...-for-next-season/story-fni3g67w-1227158455240

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lacks the speed and agility of a good fullback. His game is based on power (which is suited to centre/back row) as a fullback you need to be able to turn and chase on a dime which I doubt Loko can do.

But he can excel in getting his quick men into space with offloads and fends.

Bmoz I think is probably the most likely even though he is not the best fullback in the squad (I still think Perrett was very good in defence as a fullback, but does lack a lot in attack, which I think bmoz will lack too).

Will be exciting come round one to see who runs out. The thing that is for sure is des will have the best players available filling each position.

And as for Loko really hope the kid gets through the year ok. always had the promise but due to injuries could never prove anything.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
I do remember Baa gave Holdsworth similar wraps ...

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would of said Rona would make a better FB than Loko

We finally have some depth in the backline

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Guys remember this call is being made by a bloke who is actually watching him and not just commenting based on several games a year ago. I too have commented on his ability based on what I have seen but it's a solid opinion from the bloke called baa. Don't know if it's an opinion shared by Des and knowing Des we won't know until 1 hour before round 1. I have said it since day 1 though, if Loko is fit than he will not be in NSW cup long.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called this a while back, not saying it's definitely gonna happen but I was always keen to see how he'd go at fullback

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We have alot of depth in the backline but the problem is we have no-one who is an actual fullback just plenty of wingers and centres. I can see Perrett there again next year and I bet the club is hoping that Sione comes in 2016 to solve the problem, tbh I'm not fussed on the other mata'utai brothers and don't care if they come or not.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I do remember Baa gave Holdsworth similar wraps ...
lol, I just snorted and now my team think i'm nuts.

Haven't heard that name in a while

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We have alot of depth in the backline but the problem is we have no-one who is an actual fullback just plenty of wingers and centres. I can see Perrett there again next year and I bet the club is hoping that Sione comes in 2016 to solve the problem, tbh I'm not fussed on the other mata'utai brothers and don't care if they come or not.
Thompson is actually a fullback.

Also i see this this as a Des mind game

Des - Hey Baa next time you speak to the media maybe mention that Loko would be a great fit for full back
Baa- Youre the boss Des.

Des mind games have begun already and 2014 isnt even over yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.