Lacking momentum and enthusiasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop whining, have this discussion at the end of the year, in sports you can train all you want but the only time you improve is through game experience. Stop jumping the gun just let them play and be happy we don’t have another Hasler again, at least while we lose it’s exciting to watch compared to forwards hitting it up. He’s inherited a side that was kinda average so give him a chance

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our defence is such a worry,the one on one misses are terrible

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We will put 40 on the Tigers when we play them and our MVP will be..... Josh Reynolds

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
It's only round 2. I am disappointed in the effort as much as everyone. But who actually thought we are a team that will run with the best. I hoped to see steel in our loses but still expected loses. Man for man we are a run down team. Change will come with more new faces.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I knew what I was asking for. With Hasler we won more often then not but it was bloody boring to watch. I’m happy to lose like we are while we sort our roster out and play more expansive then we have the past 5 years.

Cleary has a decent roster if not better then ours and he is a seaseaned coach.

Renoylds being out is a bonus for them, Benji is a better player and is playing great.

Packer and mutalino are great, there backs have speed and can create,

I can’t believe people are questioning pay so early on it’s dumb.

I for one will back him all year even if we don’t make the 8 as long as we start recruiting like we did this off season and getting rid of dead wood like
Josh Morris even though he looks fit
Tolman
And Eastwood
Benji has come to terms with age. The other night on one of the footy shows he said words to this affect, "I have accepted now that I cannot do the things I did when I was younger, can't get to that hole or step like I use to BUT I have come to terms with what I CAN do and it is working". Tigers have better halves then us at the moment. If we can get some to accompany Foran we will be hugely better......providing our forwards can build a platform for them that is.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s what happens when your game plan is based on “playing what’s in front of you”. If we had Thurston, Smith, Slater and Cronk I’m sure that would work.

Unfortunately Pay has inherited this poor roster, needs atleast 2 years to be judged however not a good start.

Look at how Broncos performed last night, it’s all about attitude and of course talent. We lack in both areas!
Agree, attitude is absolutely a big part of it... West’s Tigers have now claimed 2 big scalps, and it doesn’t get any bigger than the Storm in Melbourne celebrating a major milestone of one of their favourite sons.

Defensively, they are committed to one another, they just kept showing up in defence.

Tigers roster is not spectacular, but Cleary has them mentality switched on. I have a little Tigers envy with the effort on display. I really thought we were going to see some good aggression out on the field from our own.

I think the quote was “you’ll know you played the Bulldogs”. They will, but not for the right reasons.

Two things need to happen, Pay needs to 1) Re-baseline his expectations. 2) make some difficult decisions with his roster and have faith with the younger guys who stood out in our trial games putting the guys on notice.

The season could almost be used as a project for next year. You never know..string a few wins together and confidence does amazing things so we could still salvage this year.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
the bulldogs players arent kids and the kids in your situation dont stand to make millions if they are the best in their class, so i dont think its like that at all

theres 2 types of relaxation, the one where players are allowed to show up to training whenever they want and the one where the players can do things on the field and not have a control freak trying to influence everything

both ways can work but when the coach trusts the players they take ownership and it can be very successful if they all buy in
‘Kids’ used as a metaphor

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm with you here. This was always going to be a tough year. New coach , different players and the two heavyweight teams straight up. Actually I think this will help in the long run. I'm philosophical as I've been following the Doggies for a long long time. Expectation leads to disappointment.
I went to a forum and Dean Pay said: "they were going to be a aggressive side and to play aggressively you have to be fit and we have really trained hard during the pre-season". There has been no evidence of that sort of play yet. Watching the ISP yesterday against the Warriors there was was good performances from several players. Let's hope some changes are made this week.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree, attitude is absolutely a big part of it... West’s Tigers have now claimed 2 big scalps, and it doesn’t get any bigger than the Storm in Melbourne celebrating a major milestone of one of their favourite sons.

Defensively, they are committed to one another, they just kept showing up in defence.

Tigers roster is not spectacular, but Cleary has them mentality switched on. I have a little Tigers envy with the effort on display. I really thought we were going to see some good aggression out on the field from our own.

I think the quote was “you’ll know you played the Bulldogs”. They will, but not for the right reasons.

Two things need to happen, Pay needs to 1) Re-baseline his expectations. 2) make some difficult decisions with his roster and have faith with the younger guys who stood out in our trial games putting the guys on notice.

The season could almost be used as a project for next year. You never know..string a few wins together and confidence does amazing things so we could still salvage this year.
True, but the Tigers had the opposite problem to us. They could score from all over the park but couldn't defend. Cleary has spent the past 6 months working on their defence and they have tightened up. funnily enough though they aren't scoring many points.

At this time of the year teams make a lot of mistakes in attack and in both their games the opp has done that which has kept the games tight. I can't see the Tigers defending like this for too long. Eventually they will wear out and without a good attack they will end up falling away.

We've been working on our attack and it has improved and will get better. Deano is trying to find the right formula to balance our forwards and once he gets the right mix our defence will improve as well.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I was referring to was how Broncos responded after copping criticism in the media. You could see the response and it was all about effort and attitude. Then compare that with the efforts we dish up week in week out.
Apparently bennett and walters were absolutely giving it to the players all week at training take note dean

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I went to a forum and Dean Pay said: "they were going to be a aggressive side and to play aggressively you have to be fit and we have really trained hard during the pre-season". There has been no evidence of that sort of play yet. Watching the ISP yesterday against the Warriors there was was good performances from several players. Let's hope some changes are made this week.
The ISM pack (including Eastwood) ran hard with purpose and defence was hard hitting and good line speed

Nu was great out of dummy half and Olive is ready for first grade

You give that kid space (like J Moz has been getting) and he will finish them

Last edited:

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All i am saying is that people are bagging the roster and what pay has to work with as if he has some NSW squad under him.
The Tigers roster overall is INFERIOR to the Dogs.
Excuses, that is all i hear.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t agree with some people here and each to there own.. but others are right it’s all excuses... yes we lose who cares but our defence is non existent... we do look like one of the worst footy teams in the comp and pays face in the press shows it. He knows we have a very long season ahead and he is prob thinking if he can’t get them firing or defending well in the first 2 rounds of footy then how is it going to get better. We have a full squad no injuries and we still got hammered 2 weeks in a row. Tigers so far are showing what it is to be playing good footy. With Melbourne having all the calls last night they showed what spirit and determination is to get a win. So enough with the bull shit give them time or pay was given this team bla bla bla... a bunch of rejects smashed the same teams we got belted by. If next week is the same crap then I’m already predicting us being bottom 3 this year with Klemmer losing his nsw spot.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Your trying to make it black and white and claiming its as easy as just fix it. But this is not the reality mate. You cant just fix something in the space of a few days.
I think we all just need to take a step back and try and be a little more realistic.
All the bulldogs fans, well most of us, were very optimistic about this year, but most non fans have us finishing 13-14th. So losing our first two games against the two competition heavyweights who seem to have a salary cap in the vacinity of $12-13 mil, is not such a big deal.
We have a new fb, a new half, different props, a new backrower and lock, and a new look bench. Add to this a new coach, and its obvious all of the these things will need some time to stick.
We also came up against a quality team that was really hurting after last weeks shock loss. It was always going to be a very tough game. I much rather play a team after a win then a loss!!
Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.