Lacking momentum and enthusiasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
To me there is some key issues. People can list Morris bros, hoppa who lack speed and the issue is besides Mbye who can split the line and run 100? Hell even 50? No one at all.

Roosters have Mitchell, Tedesco, Keary, Tupou, Manu etc

Storm addo Carr, Munster, vunivalu, Scott etc.

We just don’t have that ability on our roster yet.

Our pack is fine. Last week with Danny starting we held our own fine against the storms pack.

The bench is a issue.

Again Elliott, tolman, jmk, Eastwood

There’s no impact no threat.

Tetevano, Napa, matterson...

Glasby, kas, Welsh, Kenny brom....

It’s no contests. Not one of our bench players is better!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
To me there is some key issues. People can list Morris bros, hoppa who lack speed and the issue is besides Mbye who can split the line and run 100? Hell even 50? No one at all.

Roosters have Mitchell, Tedesco, Keary, Tupou, Manu etc

Storm addo Carr, Munster, vunivalu, Scott etc.

We just don’t have that ability on our roster yet.

Our pack is fine. Last week with Danny starting we held our own fine against the storms pack.

The bench is a issue.

Again Elliott, tolman, jmk, Eastwood

There’s no impact no threat.

Tetevano, Napa, matterson...

Glasby, kas, Welsh, Kenny brom....

It’s no contests. Not one of our bench players is better!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It’s like when you have a strict teacher for years, making you do homework and installing discipline

All of a sudden the reliever turns up then gets the gig full time

All the kids cannot believe the amount of freedom because they have a laid back teacher so they start throwing paper darts and not giving a fk

Result - Failed exams

We have had two exams and a big fat F in both due to the above
the bulldogs players arent kids and the kids in your situation dont stand to make millions if they are the best in their class, so i dont think its like that at all

theres 2 types of relaxation, the one where players are allowed to show up to training whenever they want and the one where the players can do things on the field and not have a control freak trying to influence everything

both ways can work but when the coach trusts the players they take ownership and it can be very successful if they all buy in

MountMontoya

Kennel Established
Reaction score
these performances are nothing compared to the performance at Brookvale last season when Manly dicked us by 40 - 0

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think we should expect the team to be competitive though.
These first two games commitment has been lacking especially in defence.
Surely defence can be improved. It has to or we will get flogged every week.
The forwards are getting dominated! Why? because on paper we have some really good forwards.
It is down again to attitude/commitment.
Pay has plenty to work on.
I think we had every right to expect a better performance from the team than we saw last night.
110% agree. Can understand team needing to gel and attack, but defence should be unchanged from last year.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
These guys are professional footballers who either have been in our or another teams system so no excuses for needing to gel.when Kevin more brought in Kimberley,Morris, Ennis at times etc we were excellent off the bat.we just don't have the right players. Hoppa, frawley, Elliot,Tolman are solid but nothing more.we need some spark in and zest and pay needs to lay platform now for mediocre performance whether we have options or not.
Oh ok. Is that how it works? New spine, new coach, new front and backrow and we should be an instant success. Really? Sorry mate, but your living in fantasy world. Of course it takes time. We have a whole new attack and defensive structure and many team changes. How can you possibly expect instant results??? You are kidding yourself if you think its instantaneous like this!!!!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not sure what's going on at the club, but it comes across like the players are just going through the motions and are really unenthusiastic about playing.

Note, not al but the majority.

Foran, Mbye, and a few others seem up for playing, but the forwards seem like they'd rather be anywhere but playing football.

That brings me to momentum. We lack it badly. Foran races across field and tries to spark something, then Jackson, Hoppa, or Frawley get the ball and all momentum is lost.

Or instead of going to RFM/Morris's side where there's a second rower playing on the wing, instead we go back to Frawleys side, who completely stifles attack.

Then there's the forward pack who walk up to the line. Run the bastard off the back fence!!!

It's almost like Kas and Graham left, and we lost our balls.

I get Pay's a new coach, but this is stuff that SHOULD have been sorted with 2 full strength sides in the off season. By Round 1 there should have been absolute confidence in the person playing alongside Foran.

After listening to tonights press conference, once again "its not good enough, we need to be better", but that was said last week.

Pay needs to start working cracking the whip. If somethings not good enough last week, then you damn well fix it during the week so the same problem doesn't rear it's ugly head the following game.

I honestly feel like Pay could be a little "everyones friend" rather than "everyones boss".

We need to start fixing these problems and fast. Any good coach spots problems from that weeks game and rectifies them the following.
Not sure what matches you are watching, but noticed no issue with motivation and enthusiasm. We just arent as good as the top 2 sides at this stage in our development. It really is that simple. The 20 stupid ass threads in here after the loss, suggesting everything from sacking Pay, changing captain and bringing in the reserve grade, after 2 losses to top teams, has me bewildered.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That’s what happens when your game plan is based on “playing what’s in front of you”. If we had Thurston, Smith, Slater and Cronk I’m sure that would work.

Unfortunately Pay has inherited this poor roster, needs atleast 2 years to be judged however not a good start.

Look at how Broncos performed last night, it’s all about attitude and of course talent. We lack in both areas!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
That’s what happens when your game plan is based on “playing what’s in front of you”. If we had Thurston, Smith, Slater and Cronk I’m sure that would work.

Unfortunately Pay has inherited this poor roster, needs atleast 2 years to be judged however not a good start.

Look at how Broncos performed last night, it’s all about attitude and of course talent. We lack in both areas!
The broncos would have lost to storm or roosters away, just as much as we did. A win at Suncorp with 50,000 fans attending, first home match of the year, really isnt as hard as the games we had

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The broncos would have lost to storm or roosters away, just as much as we did. A win at Suncorp with 50,000 fans attending, first home match of the year, really isnt as hard as the games we had
Still should of lost

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What I was referring to was how Broncos responded after copping criticism in the media. You could see the response and it was all about effort and attitude. Then compare that with the efforts we dish up week in week out.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lacking momentum and enthusiasm my arse. It's all about possession and repeat sets. When we had the ball in the first half we pounded their line and scored a try only for it to be denied. Then while they were down to 12 they had 75% of the ball. That's why we didn't score. That try gets awarded and we are 10-6 with the next possession and them with 12 players. Then in the second half we put a couple of tries on them and started to look better again only for a couple of errors to bugger up all the good work. Even so we were still in it with 10 to go.

No question we deserved to lose both games, but not because we lacked enthusiasm. It is because both our attacking and defensive combinations still have some wrinkles in them. that plus a lack of genuine punch off the bench which means we can only hope to hold the line in the middle of the game and hope we cash in at the start and end. We'll get better. Just a matter of how long though.

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who has a better roster?

Seriously, look at the difference in match experience. Look at the difference in representative games played.
Lets face it, the majority of Tigers players are a collection of rejects and they are 2 from 2 and have played the exact same teams as us.
This team conceded 16 points in 2 games against the Storm and Roosters while we conceded 66.
I am tired already of people saying this is Hasler's team, this is what Pay has to work with blah blah.

When the draw came out, Pay whinged, Cleary just said lets get on with it.

I have big concerns already.

The biggest MEASURE of a team if they are playing for its coach is defense.
As Folkes used to say, defense is all about attitude. You going to have to WANT to do it.
I could handle a 2 losses from 2 games start against the best teams in the NRL, but i am sorry, conceding 66 points, there is ZERO excuse...NONE.

1 Moses Mbye
2 Brett Morris
3 Josh Morris
4 Will Hopoate
5 Marcelo Montoya
6 Matthew Frawley
7 Kieran Foran
8 Aaron Woods
9 Michael Lichaa
10 David Klemmer
11 Josh Jackson
12 Raymond Faitala-Mariner
14 Adam Elliott
13 Danny Fualalo

19. David Nofoaluma
2. Corey Thompson
3. Esan Marsters
4. Kevin Naiqama
5. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
6. Benji Marshall
7. Luke Brooks
8. Russell Packer (capt.)
9. Pita Godinet
10. Ben Matulino
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Robbie Rochow
13. Elijah Taylor

Interchange:
14. Matt McIlwrick
15. Alex Twal
17. Matt Eisenhuth
18. Josh Aloiai

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Pay's looks pained and worried on his face already - he should be as cool as ice and as determined as fuck. He needs a mentor fast to get him more confident and assertive - and even more aggressive.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is no way anyone would have thought Tigers without their first choice fullback Lolohea or their first choice 5/8 in Reynolds, and with Mataulino getting sin binned would beat the Storm in Melbourne

It reminded me alot of our win against the Storm in Melb in early 2016 where we put in one hell of a defensive effort

Everyone bags Des, but he had our defence strong and did get us to 2GFs. Sure we disnt win a premiership but theres many coaches in the NRL that havent won a comp

The Tigers showed what playing tough and spirited is all about. We had that more often than not under Des.

3rdgendogfanWA

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Worth noting 3 of the 4 teams who played in Perth last week lost this week, surprisingly only the warriors can up with a win after the travel and time difference albeit, against a lowly Titans minus Ash Taylor!
Still remaining hopeful. The Tigers lost 3 of their last 4 last year- all with Cleary at the helm, give Pay time to truly put his stamp on the team...

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Totally agree

How you beat the Storm at their fortress with Billy 300 with a nomad team is that incredible

And the Chooks!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I knew what I was asking for. With Hasler we won more often then not but it was bloody boring to watch. I’m happy to lose like we are while we sort our roster out and play more expansive then we have the past 5 years.

Cleary has a decent roster if not better then ours and he is a seaseaned coach.

Renoylds being out is a bonus for them, Benji is a better player and is playing great.

Packer and mutalino are great, there backs have speed and can create,

I can’t believe people are questioning pay so early on it’s dumb.

I for one will back him all year even if we don’t make the 8 as long as we start recruiting like we did this off season and getting rid of dead wood like
Josh Morris even though he looks fit
Tolman
And Eastwood

Status
Not open for further replies.