Lack of speed and horrendous kicking game are holding us back

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whilst not our only 2 issues,I believe a lack of speed and a horrendous kicking game are holding us back. Foran is a world class ball player but is not the greatest general play kicker going around. We gave up a good 15- 20 meteres almost every set by failing to find open space tonight. Our lack of speed also makes us very easy to defend against. As we lack any genuine speed ,defences can just hang back and pick off our runners. If we had some genuine pace we would be able to put some panic in the defence to have to rush up and create some more gaps out wider. May be hard to fix these issues this year as our squad is what it is. However we need to ensure we recruit to strengthen these areas next year. Cogger will improve our kicking game. But how will we solve our pace conundrum??????

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Dogs of War crap is working well! The kicking was terrible, and there is a lack of speed - with e excpetion of Mbye no one is quick off the mark and in any way elusive. The Morris boys need room but not quick enough to make it. The forwads get dominated in attack and defense, unfortunately having watched regular NSW Cup over the last few years theres no one better. You can blame Pay, the trainers, the new board - BUT the issues now are the result of the recruitment and retention of the previous regime - the squad is average at best. Once they start to get injuries it will be worse - the good news is that for 2019 they will have money to spend as long as they don't resign Eastwood Morris Morris and a few others in Reggies who are never going to be quality firstgraders - as well as maybe offload the plodders in Tolman and Elliot.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
A lot of this falls on Hasler and his poor recruitment and retention decisions . Pay has inherited a poor squad that’s for sure.
Des doesnt have back ended deals and we have Graham, and Kasiano on deck tonight we have a massive chance of winning... Honestly though im just keen to see some changes in the squad. I want to recruit some young exciting backs. Lomax, Mosby-Gela, Holmes (if he plays wing). Just miss that genuine speedster who can create something out of nothing...

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Des doesnt have back ended deals and we have Graham, and Kasiano on deck tonight we have a massive chance of winning... Honestly though im just keen to see some changes in the squad. I want to recruit some young exciting backs. Lomax, Mosby-Gela, Holmes (if he plays wing). Just miss that genuine speedster who can create something out of nothing...
Don't forget if we don't backend those contracts then we don't have Mbye, Klemmer and Jackson. That's why the others were backended - so we could upgrade blokes like them. Not saying it did us any favours but when you have limited funds sometimes you make decisions that seem good at the time that turn out wrong. Anyway, for mine Woodsy is going better than Graham and Kas - well he's played 10 mins so far. Let's see how he is going in a couple of months.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des didn't leave Fine on the bench tonight , Pay did
True BUT even if he had played it wouldn't have made any difference - still think if selected and in the situation of the game he should have got a run.
The overall squad, type of player throughout the entire top30 /40 players, is from the old regime - lots of moneyball type plodders.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why did Pay leave a fresh player on the bench when we were under the pump

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope lack of a decent roster is holding us back. In fact there would be about 7 players in our current roster who no one would pick up once their contract ends.
The salary cap debacle is killing us because we have nowhere to move. Stuck with the current stench of this shit roster until god knows when
The current woeful state of our juniors is holding us back. How can there be competition for 1st grade spots when our entire reserve grade are not any where near NRL standard and never will be
Our club is currently so far south we may as well be based at the south pole.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman again was just using up cap space and our 2 rep. forwards did not play like rep. players if we do not have go forward from them then our backs will find it hard to push forward! Mybe was good from the back but needs to work on his defence, same goes for Frawley some good plays but again defence BUT then again the whole side needs to work on DEFENCE!!! We had 2 or 3 trys today from our own half and again last week THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! Pay said he wanted to bring back the DOGS of WAR and hurt the opposition but all I can see are the dogs of come in my kennel and score a fricken TRY because we cannot defend our line for S...T!!! Come ON Doggies, I know we have played the 2 heavy weights BUT at least show some heart and DEFEND!!!

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have massive wraps on Wakeham. Is he worth taking a punt on this year. It worked with Cleary at Penrith 2 years ago? At this juncture we might as well take a punt on something different.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We cant go on blaming Des & Dib for everything. Thats a copout.

The performance tonight was poor

Status
Not open for further replies.