Lachlan Lewis is not in the Top 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay is obviously going off what people like Penna and Georgalis were telling him as he would have had minimal knowledge of the players. The existing staff would have had to de-brief him. Frawley at the time was currently an NRL half and was always going to be in the top 30.

Lewis at the beginning was always going to be behind Foran, Frawley, Cleeland and JMK considering he debuted last yr. I think it was only me and a few on here that really wanted to see him in 1st grade.
I have always wanted to see him in fg. Even started a couple of threads on him stating that. But have relised until we renew his contract we cant risk him playing fg. Can u imagine this kid puts on a big hit in defence or sets up or scores a try. The commentators will go mad saying his of wallys blood line next thing every man and his dog will be chasing him and with in our position good by dogs. Need to be a bit smarter sign him up first.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make up a BS injury for JMK and get Lewis in there. Has to be better then what the halves dished up tonight.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It ain't going to happen....he is not in the top 30.
Retarded for Frawley isn't an injury....he was born like that!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’d even rather Jackson go to 5/8th over JMK. I didn’t see the hype at the start of the year and had shown jack shit since. He lacks basic skills and has nothing in attack.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Make up a BS injury for JMK and get Lewis in there. Has to be better then what the halves dished up tonight.
Understand and would love to see this guy in fg. Our year is over if lewis is selected in fg also the confusion about him being in the 30 and he has a good game like makes a hit or scores a try can u imagine the ho ha commentators would make about him. Already happening in isp. Lets get him resigned first then in fg. Otherwise we have no chance signing him with our cap problems. Just hope the club is on this.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need to let mbye go early and give lewis a run in the halves

aymz maz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If woods goes before June 30 can Lewis be brought in ?

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 'Top 30' system is sheer lunacy. How the hell are clubs supposed to blood/trial young players? Especially when their season is over (à la us) and they're hopefully planning for next year.

Does the second tier cap still exist?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Was going to ask this. Surely he can. Rothfield saying tonight on 360 woods will be playing for sharks sat night.
That would require an announcement tomorrow before 4pm that Woods is leaving and it's effective immediately. Calling bullshit on Phil on that one. I think it's a bit of an exaggeration with a short week.

Come tomorrow when the teams are listed and Woods is named playing for us, what will Phils excuse be then?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The 'Top 30' system is sheer lunacy. How the hell are clubs supposed to blood/trial young players? Especially when their season is over (à la us) and they're hopefully planning for next year.

Does the second tier cap still exist?
Nope the Top 30 + Development Players replace that... but you can't play development players without permission from the NRL, and they pick and choose who can play them.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That would require an announcement tomorrow before 4pm that Woods is leaving and it's effective immediately. Calling bullshit on Phil on that one. I think it's a bit of an exaggeration with a short week.

Come tomorrow when the teams are listed and Woods is named playing for us, what will Phils excuse be then?
He was drunk?

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We must have 30 players on our books, under the salary cap by 30 June. If Woods goes, he must be replaced. Every club must have 30 nominated 1st grade players.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think @Deathspell went into this a while back (regarding potential restriction of trade), and from memory the issue was that the NRL made up their own rules to which everyone agreed with, and that included the cap and how it works.

Could be wrong though..
Hi brother,you are not wrong and I'll briefly explain.
The NRL is a corporation run by the independent 'Australian Rugby League Commission'. Under the obligations and guidelines of the 'Australian Sports Commission's Governance Principles',the NRL is subject to the Corporations Act 2001 for commerce and Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (NSW) for administration. Important features of both Acts is limited liability,which means that the shareholders,directors,employees are not personally liable for the debts that the institution owes to the creditors and it's charter,for compliance and obligations,enforceable under common law of all members.

Whilst Common law rigorously scrutinizes private arrangements when they prevent or inhibit freedom of employment,the courts ironically evaluate different conclusions in the term 'employment' and 'trading' under the Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (NSW). The Act represents the NRL as an institution that is granted a charter recognizing it as a separate legal entity,having its own privileges and liabilities distinct from those of its members.The charter of an Incorporated Sporting Association forms the structure within which the sport entity (institution) operates which includes rules contained in the Constitution,Regulations and By-laws.

For Fair Trading,the constitution (or model constitution) for incorporated associations validates the conclusions for arguments under common law based on it's interpretation of 'business' restraints.NRL's constitution like any registered sporting organization are left to do largely as they wish as long as restrains are not maliciously intended,deemed illegal under common law and reasonable in the public's interest.Public interest includes any detriment such as high prices imposed or shortage of service that eventuate.

In challenging the NRL's constitution in the Supreme court,Counsels encounter the court's findings in favor of freedom of 'employment',whilst at the same time blessing is forwarded to it's 'trading' activities.In this particular case involving Lewis,the constitution argues that the restraint imposed is to aid the safe and proper development of sporting talent for the survival of the club and image of the game.Without the NRL's forthcoming blessing,if the club was to establish a precedent by successfully overturning this by-law and Lewis is injured or incurs liability,the NRL can as per it's constitution penalize the club monetarily and/or through other means,it can also disqualify or deregister the club from the competition for a nominated period of time.

It can be argued at the commission (not court) that Section 4 (Player and Players' Equipment) or Section 15 (Misconduct) of the Laws of the Game are silent on this issue and clearly do not consider the club's behavior to be "in any way contrary to the true spirit of the game". In light that the NRL have always been tolerant in it's allowance of injured players to take or remain on the field and past disregard or strict enforcement of the 'head-bin' rule,which has been in force since 1987,it would be brave for the NRL to disqualify or deregister the club from the competition for a nominated period of time.If in the unlikely event the NRL follows this course of action,then the club are entitled to demand under common law that either duress was imposed upon the player or intention of harm can be substantiated.

pugsley

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I feel so sorry for this kid
As a footballer all your life you try to reach the NRL
Just to be stopped by our incompetence or the NRL
I just hope he gets another chance if not with us somewhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.