Labor retains QLD with One Notion the biggest losers.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Annastacia Palaszczuk is on track to become the longest-serving Premier of Queensland in decades after last night clinching her third term in office.

The Labor leader remains confident of forming a majority government, with the ABC's election computer predicting ALP expected to win as many as 52 seats and the LNP to secure 34.

Bizarrely, seemingly due to a communication error, both leaders ended up making speeches at the same time last night.

The primary vote for One Nation and Palmer's United Party has collapsed in the 2020 Queensland Election.

Counting suggests Pauline Hanson's party has recorded just 7.4 per cent of the primary vote, down more than six per cent from the 2017 election.

Unlike past state and federal elections, the One Nation leader has been unusually quiet during the campaign and rarely made an appearance.

James Ashby was particularly upset that fisherman were raped, whether he was upset because he wasn't part of it is unclear.

And the Flailing Fatman was also a gargantuan loser with no votes for Clive Palmer -

Voters have also deserted Clive Palmer's party despite the businessman spending millions of dollars on ads attacking Labor.

Voters across the state were subjected to a barrage of anti-Labor advertising on television, in newspapers, on social media, and in the form of text messages from his mining company Mineralogy.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The text msg were non stop, also from LNP as well.

There was a lot of push back from voters very annoyed at the intrusion of several a day!

The letterbox leaflets were non stop from LNP as well.

Mainly, voters were supportive of the border closures and therefore our ability to move freely within the state. Qlders are holidaying at home so the economy is doing well in those areas.

There was a sense of, keep to what you know during a pandemic, and remembering the severe austerity and cuts to services under Campbell Newman.

Personally I'm so proud Qlders for rejecting the vacuous Clive Palmer and Pauline Hanson.

Cockroaches are still hated by Qld canetoads tho lol.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The text msg were non stop, also from LNP as well.

There was a lot of push back from voters very annoyed at the intrusion of several a day!

The letterbox leaflets were non stop from LNP as well.

Mainly, voters were supportive of the border closures and therefore our ability to move freely within the state. Qlders are holidaying at home so the economy is doing well in those areas.

There was a sense of, keep to what you know during a pandemic, and remembering the severe austerity and cuts to services under Campbell Newman.

Personally I'm so proud Qlders for rejecting the vacuous Clive Palmer and Pauline Hanson.

Cockroaches are still hated by Qld canetoads tho lol.
Wally was always overrated. :tongueclosed:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
With a pizza and a six pack at the ready, I was one of those crazy people who watched the coverage on the ABC from 6pm until Deb conceded around 10pm.

With all the hoo-ha, its likely as little as 3 or 4 seats will actually changed hands, but those will be mostly going to Labor.

I compiled my list of winners and losers from top to bottom:

1. Biggest winner - Anastasia Palaszczuk . From accidental premier 5 years ago to political powerhouse. Fought off quite awful personal attacks. Being the daughter of a former Labor heavyweight helps. You need pretty thick skin to be a pollie. Labor managed to pretty much pick up most of One Nation's decline. These pensioners from places like the Sunshine Coast arr being dubbed " Palaszczuk's pensioners", kind of like Howard's Battlers in the 90s, but i guess in reverse. This was a ringing endorsement of the state border closure. Unless you live here, you would never understand the whole "Queenslander" thing (for better or for worse).

2. Next biggest winner - Labor. Well, they won a bigger majority.

3. Third Place (small win) - The Greens - They will be crowing like they won the election as they officially doubled their representation. Stephen Miles (who I find to be a worm who shouldn't be near the leadership of the party) tried to claim it was due to the LNP referencing the Greens, but totally avoided the elephant in the room being the poisonous Jackie Trad, who was never going to win the seat, and was labor's biggest risk generally. To the Greens' credit i think they are still in the running for a 3rd seat (but haven't checked this morning), but their overall vote was pretty flat, and if they want to think they are a political force, why not really go hard at winning a safe LNP seat?

4. Slight loser - Katter Party - Won the seats they expected. Not really making much of an impact outside their base. Would have been hoping for an LNP minority victory so they could have got a seat at the table. Sorry lads, back to Mt Isa and another 4 years.

5. Next loser - Palmer - Guy obviously has no interest in winning any actual seats and just wants to be able to spend his own cash at attacking labor instead of donating it to the LNP like he used to. the LNP of course love it, as they get to distance themselves at the vitriol. There really should be something done about this kind of politicizing, but probably not that can be done. His missus won a whopping 300 votes on the Gold Coast. and what did he get for his "investment"? Well, a lot less than he got at the last federal election ... maybe pay your creditors too.

6. Second biggest loser - Deb and the LNP. I felt a bit sad for Tim Mander on the night. Guy didn't really have much he could say about his party's poor showing. I think it was a few things, but mostly Deb Frecklington's inability to cut through. She's got zero personality, which you need to unseat an incumbent who is naturally getting most of the attention. I honestly don't thin she ever recovered from a couple of years ago when she pretty much had a go at the premier for being childless. They should have been able to pick up most of the one Nation vote, but got stuff all.

7. The Biggest loser - drum roll - Pauline Hanson and her One Nation - I wouldn't write her off completely, as she has been in this position before, but most people weren't complaining when their vote collapsed, which started when Pauline's attempt at populism (as she doesn't know anything else) and smashing Labor about the state border backfired spectacularly. i don't recall even seeing Hanson for the past month or so. Almost as bitter would have been your boomer base flock to the enemy.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
With a pizza and a six pack at the ready, I was one of those craxy people who watched the coverage from when the ABC coverage started at 6pm until Deb conceded around 10pm.

With all the hoo-ha, its likely as little as 3 or 4 seats will actually changed hands, but those wil be mostly gonig to Labor.

I compiled my list of winners and losers from top to bottom:

1. Biggest winner - Anastasia Palaszczuk . From accidental premier 5 years ago to political powerhouse. Fought off quite awful personal attacks. Being the daughter of a former Labor heavyweight helps. You need pretty thick skin to be a pollie. Labor managed to pretty much pick up most of One Nation's decline. These pensioners from places like the Sunshine Coast arr being dubbed " Palaszczuk's pensioners", kind of like Howard's Battlers in the 90s, but i guess in reverse. This was a ringing endorsement of the state border closure. Unless you live here, you would never understand the whole "Queenslander" thing (for better or for worse).

2. Next biggest winner - Labor. Well, they won a bigger majority.

3. Third Place (small win) - The Greens - They will be crowing like they won the election as they officially doubled their representation. Stephen Miles (who I find to be a worm who shouldn't be near the leadership of the party) tried to claim it was due to the LNP referencing the Greens, but totally avoided the elephant in the room being the poisonous Jackie Trad, who was never going to win the seat, and was labor's biggest risk generally. To the Greens' credit i think they are still in the running for a 3rd seat (but haven't checked this morning), but their overall vote was pretty flat, and if they want to think they are a political force, why not really go hard at winning a safe LNP seat?

4. Slight loser - Katter Party - Won the seats they expected. Not really making much of an impact outside their base. Would have been hoping for an LNP minority victory so they could have got a seat at the table. Sorry lads, back to Mt Isa and another 4 years.

5. Next loser - Palmer - Guy obviously has no interest in winning any actual seats and just wants to be able to spend his own cash at attacking labor instead of donating it to the LNP like he used to. the LNP of course love it, as they get to distance themselves at the vitriol. There really should be something done about this kind of politicizing, but probably not that can be done. His missus won a whopping 300 votes on the Gold Coast. and what did he get for his "investment"? Well, a lot less than he got at the last federal election ... maybe pay your creditors too.

6. Second biggest loser - Deb and the LNP. I felt a bit sad for Tim Mander on the night. Guy didn't really have much he could say about his party's poor showing. I think it was a few things, but mostly Deb Frecklington's inability to cut through. She's got zero personality, which you need to unseat an incumbent who is naturally getting most of the attention. I honestly don't thin she ever recovered from a couple of years ago when she pretty much had a go at the premier for being childless. They should have been able to pick up most of the one Nation vote, but got stuff all.

7. The Biggest loser - drum roll - Pauline Hanson and her One Nation - I wouldn't write her off completely, as she has been in this position before, but most people weren't complaining when their vote collapsed, which started when Pauline's attempt at populism (as she doesn't know anything else) and smashing Labor about the state border backfired spectacularly. i don't recall even seeing Hanson for the past month or so. Almost as bitter would have been your boomer base flock to the enemy.
Very good summation :grinning:

Hanson and Palmer were organising, crapping on, about suing the State for not having open borders. Their base switched to Anna (and her well respected Health Director Dr Jeanette Young).

Deb called for borders to be open 46? times yet denied doing so. Asap the vid clips were shown in adverts by Labor, her cred gone.

Scotty from Sharts marketing, bullying AP and hanging around with Deb, just reinforced the border closure issue that Qlders overwhelmingly supported.

Plus the stick with what you know factor in a crises is always huge at these times.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Very good summation :grinning:

Hanson and Palmer were organising, crapping on, about suing the State for not having open borders. Their base switched to Anna (and her well respected Health Director Dr Jeanette Young).

Deb called for borders to be open 46? times yet denied doing so. Asap the vid clips were shown in adverts by Labor, her cred gone.

Scotty from Sharts marketing, bullying AP and hanging around with Deb, just reinforced the border closure issue that Qlders overwhelmingly supported.

Plus the stick with what you know factor in a crises is always huge at these times.
The thing that pisses off Queenslanders most is southern wankers telling them what to do. Many have tried to come up from Canberra and most have failed (who could forget Bob Brown's efforts in central QLD leading up the federal election).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The thing that pisses off Queenslanders most is southern wankers telling them what to do. Many have tried to come up from Canberra and most have failed (who could forget Bob Brown's efforts in central QLD leading up the federal election).
Haha yes was gonna mention that myself lol.

Lost all those seats for Labor. Thanks Bob!

A rag tag bunch of alternates jump in their beat up volvos and drive through coal towns galvanizing the community to meet up, unite and support Adani. Giving the press wonderful pics of men and women in high viz yelling out from over spilling pub verandahs to get outa their town.

Worked in the total opposite of what the Greens wanted to achieve. They are a menace in every respect as far as an effective political force.

Their environment "ideals" most probably agree with but their other crazy ideas and ways of implementing them are rubbish.

Another one issue popularist party.

Went off on a bit of a tangent there but....lol

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha yes was gonna mention that myself lol.

Lost all those seats for Labor. Thanks Bob!

A rag tag bunch of alternates jump in their beat up volvos and drive through coal towns galvanizing the community to meet up, unite and support Adani. Giving the press wonderful pics of men and women in high viz yelling out from over spilling pub verandahs to get outa their town.

Worked in the total opposite of what the Greens wanted to achieve. They are a menace in every respect as far as an effective political force.

Their environment "ideals" most probably agree with but their other crazy ideas and ways of implementing them are rubbish.

Another one issue popularist party.

Went off on a bit of a tangent there but....lol
Fuck the greens. How would anyone give them a vote?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fuck the greens. How would anyone give them a vote?
Beats me. But their base is increasingly inner city latte, do gooders who don't think through all the other issues it takes to run a country successfully.

In their way they are just as narrow minded and out of touch as Palmer and Hanson and are just a waste of space.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Beats me. But their base is increasingly inner city latte, do gooders who don't think through all the other issues it takes to run a country successfully.

In their way they are just as narrow minded and out of touch as Palmer and Hanson and are just a waste of space.
I don't really have any beef with the Greens generally TBH, but they do attract some nutty people (but then again, don't all political parties?).

As someone who grew up in the bush, I actually think some of their polices are better aligned to regional Australia than the Nationals.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't really have any beef with the Greens generally TBH, but they do attract some nutty people (but then again, don't all political parties?).

As someone who grew up in the bush, I actually think some of their polices are better aligned to regional Australia than the Nationals.
Yes I agree on a lot of the environmental issues, as I said earlier...

"Their environment "ideals" most probably agree with, but their other crazy ideas and ways of implementing them are rubbish".

Parties need to have to have policies that are workable in Govt if their want to be considered a viable 3rd party.

They don't.

So are just fringe. Asap they get real with how "the system" works then maybe mainstream voters could support them.

For me it was a big fail when they voted against the 2009 carbon price scheme and kept us in the wilderness searching around for a further 11 years, still to replace it.

Played politics to their detriment.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From the toot - pretty funny...

Newtown Girl Who Labelled Queensland Dumb Rednecks Last Year Now Praising Them For Being Smart

https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...-last-year-now-praising-them-for-being-smart/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...ing-them-for-being-smart/&via=betootaadvocate

WENDELL HUSSEY | Cadet | CONTACT
A Sydney based inner-city post-grad Arts student servant has today heaped praise upon a former foe.
Bethany Cunningham has thanked the people of Queensland for being ‘intelligent voters who actually voted in accordance with best their interests for once’ – after they returned the Palaszczuk government for another term.
The Labor Government was a strong winner on the night, predicted to hold a 52-34 majority over the LNP, with 7 seats going to the little guys.
The kind words come less than 18 months after she called the entire state ‘dumb redneck pieces of shit’ who shouldn’t be allowed to vote in federal elections.
Cunnigham though, says that while she has forgiven the Sunshine State, she certainly has forgotten what they did by not voting for a centrist party that offered little in the way of alternative policy and ran a poor campaign that failed to articulate anything they did actually want to do.
“Finally, all these uneducated Queenslanders have actually voted in their actual interests,” said a relieved Cunnigham who took a week off after the Federal election.
The young terrace house resident whose liberal party voting parents paid her rent for most of her university years, says this Queensland election is one of the only bright spots in a grim year.
“I just will never get why Queensland didn’t blindly vote with the ALP and some Melbourne guy in the Federal election last year,” she sighed.
“Anyway, I don’t wanna bring that up, it makes me too angry,” said the young woman who is now old enough to realise her creative writing career needed to transition into a job in the public service for the sake of her expensive lifestyle.
“It’s just great that Queensland voted in accordance with what every single person in my social media and real-life echo chamber thinks,” she said.
“I can’t think about tomorrow. If that Orange buffoon wins, god.”
“Anyway, let’s focus on the positives. Queensland wasn’t dumb for once.”

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Deb's stepping aside. This could be a long time in the wilderness for the LNP.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Deb's stepping aside. This could be a long time in the wilderness for the LNP.
Asap she said she was staying: she wasn't.

I didn't mind her but she made herself look like a "follower" when Scotty got here and that presented a stark contrast to AP and her strong leadership when she stood up to the PM for Qld. Deb and LNP didn't factor in C19/BORDER issue strongly enough.

WA Premier will benefit just as strongly.

I dont think LNP works for either party. Nats or Libs in Qld. They will always be sniping.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
For me and my partner. Labor winning election means my job is safe for another 3.5yrs at least. So happy she got back in

Last time Campbell Newman and his Liberal cronies got into power, he came in and ripped apart the railways and was oh so close to selling it to his mates at Metro Rail and these wankers were going to fly in cheap Indian workers from India to drive our trains...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I increasingly see the nationals as a party that will happily sell out the small farmers for mining and large international farming interests. Just look at Barnaby Joyce and his profiteering in paying a friend to buy back water on a tract of land that only sees water in a once in a century flood event. $60 million or so dollars that we know of that could be better spent on infrastructure such as medical services, education resources etc.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I increasingly see the nationals as a party that will happily sell out the small farmers for mining and large international farming interests. Just look at Barnaby Joyce and his profiteering in paying a friend to buy back water on a tract of land that only sees water in a once in a century flood event. $60 million or so dollars that we know of that could be better spent on infrastructure such as medical services, education resources etc.
Their water policies have failed farmers and regional communities abysmally. One can see why the SFF party has risen so quickly (whether that's good or bad remains to be seen) - too long of being taken for granted.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For me and my partner. Labor winning election means my job is safe for another 3.5yrs at least. So happy she got back in

Last time Campbell Newman and his Liberal cronies got into power, he came in and ripped apart the railways and was oh so close to selling it to his mates at Metro Rail and these wankers were going to fly in cheap Indian workers from India to drive our trains...
I moved to Brisbane in 2013 as the Newman cuts were in full swing. i remember the nurses out protesting in front of every hospital. a mate of mine, who worked at Queensland rail's main office just watched whole floors being sacked at a time. The guy's arrogance was breathtaking.