Opinion Kyle Flanagan

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s doing the absolute bare minimum at the moment. Seriously which other halfback only shoulders 10% of the kicking? Disgrace

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He’s doing the absolute bare minimum at the moment. Seriously which other halfback only shoulders 10% of the kicking? Disgrace
Which other halfback plays outside a five eighth who cab boot the ball 60 metres on the fly and just as high in the air? He has clearly been instructed to leave most of the kicking duties to Burton because kicking is Burton's greatest asset. Flano was hands down our best player last weekend. Disgrace? The bloke is doing everything that is asked of him and doing it a little better every week. You don't have the faintest idea what you are talking about.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Definitely wont be a popular opinion but I thought he had one of his best games in the first half last week. Ran the ball well, looked dangerous, even put a few long kicks in.

All he needs to be is a supplementary piece. The main man for us is the man in the 6. He just needs to play off him. Would be nice to see the traditional first and second receiver half instead of the left side half and right side half.

If he can channel townstead and just do the basics at a high level (passing, short kicks, backing up) he'd be solid.

Not sure if souths were just surprised that he ran and that's why he caught them out once or twice, but no reason why he shouldnt be taking it to the line with players either side of him.

Also I wouldnt mind him taking the conversions on the left side of the field. I know its not good to pick and swap kickers. And burtons conversions have improved out of sight, but flanno is a 80%-85% kicker, especially from the left sideline I think he'd nail a few. But if it is at the detriment of burtos confidence maybe its better to leave it as it is and let burton get his range and technique down pat.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Had his best game ever for us last week but honestly just isn't FG standard.

We definitely need an upgrade on him, but until then, he's also not doing exactly doing anything particularly wrong. He just doesn't have the talent

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's been better but still nowhere near good enough to be starting next season. He doesn't take the line on and if defenders rush up on him, the play is dead. He has a bad kicking game and often takes the wrong option...

For example, when he triple pumped and let an obstruction happen against Souths when everyone else knew it would be an obstruction. Instead of taking the tackle, he still passed it. Shows how little awareness and footy IQ he has..

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's been better but still nowhere near good enough to be starting next season. He doesn't take the line on and if defenders rush up on him, the play is dead. He has a bad kicking game and often takes the wrong option...

For example, when he triple pumped and let an obstruction happen against Souths when everyone else knew it would be an obstruction. Instead of taking the tackle, he still passed it. Shows how little awareness and footy IQ he has..
Thought his taking his game to another level, his attack is slowing improving and his work ethic is second to none

Malla

Reaction score

Yeah plus when we had the lead with 10mins to go you look for your half to take over and involve himself in every play, get the ball into the corner after a kick and control possession for the rest of the game. I don’t think he touched the ball once in the last 10 lol.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah plus when we had the lead with 10mins to go you look for your half to take over and involve himself in every play, get the ball into the corner after a kick and control possession for the rest of the game. I don’t think he touched the ball once in the last 10 lol.
Could be a lot to do with jmks decisions

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'd rather Lachlan Lewis and that's saying something

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan is going to be a top 3 halfback, he's starting to show his potential and definitely worth keeping, some supporters want another hb but I believe this kid will eventually guide our team to a premiership, also the rorters saw something in this kid or they would never have signed him in the first place.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Flanagan is going to be a top 3 halfback, he's starting to show his potential and definitely worth keeping, some supporters want another hb but I believe this kid will eventually guide our team to a premiership, also the rorters saw something in this kid or they would never have signed him in the first place.
Exactly. The 'gun has something very few players have. The thought people want to get rid of him for a washed up player who is one head knock away from retirement, or a bloke who can't even hold down the Tigers number 7 jersey is laughable.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Credit where credit is due he's been going ok since Potter took over. Defence is solid, kicking & passing has improved he even tried taking the line on a few times yesterday.
I did noticed a few times, he took on the line.. he’s trying to change up his game

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Credit where credit is due he's been going ok since Potter took over. Defence is solid, kicking & passing has improved he even tried taking the line on a few times yesterday.
Yeah is getting better at taking the line on... last few games it seems to have progressed from having no pass option and falling into the opposition players and actually attempting to use his legs in the tackle. Some way to go with flanno, but it is great seeing Burto back himself.