News Kyle Flanagan on dad Shane’s coaching ambition

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan was one of the first names linked with the Bulldogs’ vacancy after Trent Barrett’s exit. Here’s what his son and current Dog Kyle thinks of the possibility of a reunion.
Nick Walshaw
11 min read
May 22, 2022 - 8:09AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
0 Comments

02:45
Broncos beat Knights but refs on hot seat
The Broncos have beaten the Knights 36-12 to make it five wins on the trot thanks to masterclasses from Selwyn Cobbo and ... more
View more related videos
Canterbury halfback Kyle Flanagan says he would welcome the opportunity to be reunited with his old man Shane in the NRL next year, while also declaring he is ready to “take the shackles off” his attacking game for the rest of 2022.
After Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett sensationally parted ways with the club this week, a host of contenders have emerged as the Sydney club’s next fulltime coach – including 2016 NRL premiership coach Flanagan.

While Mick Potter has been parachuted in for the rest of this season, others in the mix for the role long-term include Paul Green, Brad Fittler, Kristian Woolf, Cameron Ciraldo and John Morris.

Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.

Kyle Flanagan with dad Shane Flanagan at Cronulla in 2019. Credit: NRL Images.
Kyle Flanagan with dad Shane Flanagan at Cronulla in 2019. Credit: NRL Images.
However, it is understood Flanagan, who shares the same manager as Bulldogs GM of Football Phil Gould, is also a leading contender for what is shaping as one of the toughest gigs anywhere in rugby league.

So as for what Kyle, who still lives at home with his parents, thinks of reuniting with the man who debuted him at the Cronulla Sharks in 2018?

“It’s always something that we like doing,” Flanagan said of the pair working together again.

“We both love rugby league.

“But I have to be careful with my words here.

Who will be the Bulldogs' next coach?
Mick Potter
Shane Flanagan
Paul Green
Brad Fittler
Kristian Woolf
Cameron Ciraldo
John Morris
Other

Cast your vote

Kyle Flanagan wants to release the shackles for the rest of 2022.

“Dad’s definitely keen to get back into the coaching arena, but I’m just focused on my role here. Focused on playing well each week and giving a bit of cheek at home.”

Asked if he had spoken with Barrett since his shock, and hasty, exit, the young playmaker continued: “Everything’s happened really quick so I’ve just been focused on my role in this footy team.

“Trying to create as much positivity around training as I can.

“And obviously that’s been hard this week with cameras out the front of training, with guys having the flu … so I’ve just been trying to create as much positivity as I can.”

While the Bulldogs were eventually beaten by Wests Tigers 36-22 at Leichhardt Oval, they did rally back from an 18-zip deficit at halftime.

In fact, immediately after the break Canterbury posted three consecutive tries for what would eventually be a 22-point haul — or the most points they have scored this season.

While Flanagan conceded there was no secret to where the game was lost —“our defence let us down today”— he was pleased with what the side had shown in attack and added that, in coming weeks, he also wants to ensure he and Bulldogs No.6 Matt Burton build on their number of touches

“That’s exactly what I want to do,” he said.

“Exactly where myself and Burto want to get to. Really dominating and taking the shackles off.”

While the number of possessions Flanagan has per match has been the subject of some debate recently, the playmaker revealed he now expects to have far more involvements as his combination with Burton grows.

“My confidence is building and I feel like I’m getting better each week,” he said.

“So more touches will come and better touches.

“My combination with Burto, I haven’t really played with him too much, it’s still only six or seven games.

“But the more we can work together, the more we can move around the field together the more it will help this footy team.”

Asked if coach Potter had instructed the pair to get their hands on the ball more, Flanagan it had been more a pact made between himself and Burton.

“We wanted to go out there and play some footy, play what we saw,” he said.

“And we linked up a few times on the left there to play to space. And if you give the outside backs space they will finish it off for you.

“So while it obviously wasn’t the result we wanted tonight, there was some improvement and definitely some positives to take out of it.

“There was the Tevita Pangai Jnr offloads, Marshall-King jumping out of dummy-half, then Burto, Dufty … they’re definitely players that can produce stuff like that and we did get a couple of tries tonight from off-the-cuff stuff.

“That’s the style of footy we need to go to more

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
Most interesting is his “taking the shackles off” comment. Said it twice - almost implying that Barrett had them only follow structured play and didn’t let them play their own game and style - so limited in terms of contributions to attack…

or could be cliche shit that he is saying to excuse his (self-known) lack of significant contributions to attack and poor form.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most interesting is his “taking the shackles off” comment. Said it twice - almost implying that Barrett had them only follow structured play and didn’t let them play their own game and style - so limited in terms of contributions to attack…

or could be cliche shit that he is saying to excuse his (self-known) lack of significant contributions to attack and poor form.
well we saw on friday that he still provided nothing in attacks soooo not sure when hes taking these shackles off

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Didn’t he say the same thing last year after he was dropped, during the preseason and also this year and now aswell :tongueclosed: Must have been shackled right down :p

To be honest he lacks creativity, lacks the ability to take on the line with runners. He is your typical holdsworth, joe Williams type half. What did impress me the other day was his spiral clearing kick.

He has a talented half in Burton in the team so he is a second fiddle. All he needs to do is the basics. Hit his clearing kicks, develop a short attacking kicking game, and develop a play 10 out that isn’t running across field and hitting a forward cutting back. Also he needs to run it Atleast once every second set. Because it’s easy to defend a half that won’t attack the line. You just hold off them and slide with them. He needs to straighten up, run to the line with support on either side. Then needs to have the vision and skill to see which player to hit and execute the pass. It’s not about shackles it’s about doing the basics and a high level. That’s the Melbourne storm way.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Reason# 328 that Kyle shouldn't be here next year with his Dad as coach.

Imagine the media controversy if and when he did drop Kyle? Do we need those distractions for a Reserve Grade half? It's not worth it.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I read another article the other day that said Barrett's coaching was very complicated so yes I definitely think they were restricted to playing to a certain spot on the field etc. Barrett wasn't planning to the strengths of the players. He was making the players play to his systems which obviously didn't work.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I long for the days where our team was called 'The Entertainers'. With the exception of Burton, we don't really have any players who can play 'eyes up' footy. Since Hasler, our team has been 'shackled' with heavy structure - the kind that sees us at the top of the comp in terms of completions, but at the bottom of the comp in attack.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kyle will never be an attacking threat
Maybe so, defence is good.. but at least Shane will drop him for the teams best interest, that’s the beauty of Flanno as coach. He won’t play favourites and his son is just another player, Shane will play hard ball and get the best from everyone.. no good .. your dropped. !!

the fact both father and son actually want to be HERE. and BOTH have the blue and white jerseys best interest at heart … that is very PLEASING. And Kyle knows if he doesn’t pull finger daddy won’t mess around.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I long for the days where our team was called 'The Entertainers'. With the exception of Burton, we don't really have any players who can play 'eyes up' footy. Since Hasler, our team has been 'shackled' with heavy structure - the kind that sees us at the top of the comp in terms of completions, but at the bottom of the comp in attack.
I'd love to return to the "Dogs of War" and/or "Entertainers", but FMD I'd settle for "Winners" atm...

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As sad as it is to say this, Lewis was a better half back and is not a good thing for us going forward if Kyle remains in the halves

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Reason# 328 that Kyle shouldn't be here next year with his Dad as coach.

Imagine the media controversy if and when he did drop Kyle? Do we need those distractions for a Reserve Grade half? It's not worth it.
He needs to go if SF coach ...no ifs or butts.

Gus to arrange absolutely wonderful, fabulously high paid opportunity to play in English SUPER League for growth and development and huge opportunity to learn off seasoned players over there and for UK/ Euro travel Kyle has been desperate to experience all his life :grinning:

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
7A5F372B-3475-42B9-A0A9-07A2903EA9EF.png
this one has changed him from ‘halfback’ to ‘playmaking option’… bout right