Opinion Kyle Flanagan needs to be dropped, Bring back Lewis

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who are your halves this week then if you're dropping Flancake
Averillo and Lewis. At least Lewis plays with delusional confidence and plays with some urgency. Flanagan doesn't even want to be there and looks more clueless than Averillo or any rookie. I'm not a Lewis fan, but Flanagan needs to be held accountable for how bad he's playing. Right now he doesn't look FG standard at all.

Malla

Reaction score
How can you still make excuses for Flanagan though? We had so much ball in their 20 and he kept taking the wrong option, throwing passes behind players or settling for inside balls, putting up a useless, nothing up and under or couldn't even get a grubber in behind the line for a repeat set several times.

He also shows no vision and never runs it himself. We easily could have scored a few tries in the first if we had someone of Burton's quality playing. It's obvious that Flanagan is holding the team back.
What did he do wrong??? Talk me through it so I can understand more from your point of view.

When does a half run it? After a quick play the ball usually, against a staggered defensive line or when we are on a roll on. When have you seen that happen this year? You want Flanno to just take hit ups??

Hold on... you said Flanno is holding the team back? Flanagan is holding this team back??? I am done lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don’t agree. He showed promise at the Sharks and had some nice touches at the Roosters. Go back and have a look at the tapes. Sure, Roosters are stacked with talent and I know that helps. We don’t have that type of talent. But he is looking inept out there...

I think a top coach absolutely would make a difference.

Honestly, Coach Barrett has to take some responsibility here. Come on, Flanno a has spent the pre season and the first 6 rounds with us and this is what he produces? WTF

As a former international 5/8, you’d think Barrett would have a couple of tricks up his sleeve???

We’ve been sold a lemon. And it’s Barrett I’m referring to. FFS, the media hype around his signing was phenomenal - I am convinced he one of Gould’s “prodigious” coaching prospects (AKA one of his good mates).

How does a club decide to embark on a mammoth “rebuild” and choose a coach with a 39% win rate? I encourage you to go back and read the media, watch the various footy shows - he was sold to the dogs via the media.

I am not saying we should sack him (yet) but getting the best out of these players is his core job. He is not doing anywhere near that right now.

You could employ Terry Lamb to coach these guys - same result. So why Barrett?
Laundy?

Malla

Reaction score
I just read someone say Flanno is holding this team back

Flanagan is holding the great Hoppa, the great Napa, the great Averillooooo, the great Katoa back lol fuckin hell

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What did he do wrong??? Talk me through it so I can understand more from your point of view.

When does a half run it? After a quick play the ball usually, against a staggered defensive line or when we are on a roll on. When have you seen that happen this year? You want Flanno to just take hit ups??

Hold on... you said Flanno is holding the team back? Flanagan is holding this team back??? I am done lol
I already listed what he did wrong. Tell me aside from the Newcastle game, what has he done well or right in the last five games? Averillo has set up more and kicked better and he's not even a natural half.

The best halves all take the line on a few times a game. Or they at least run and engage defenders before passing. Flanagan just looks sideways straight away, never engages a defender and goes into Robot tunnel vision mode with an inside ball or pass to Waddell.

Yeah he is.. Along with several other imposters. In the times when we have plenty of ball on their line, he's been preventing us from scoring more or getting repeat sets. He's the dominant halfback and playmaker and you act like he should accept no responsibility or blame for our struggles to score points and build pressure?

Malla

Reaction score
I already listed what he did wrong. Tell me aside from the Newcastle game, what has he done well or right in the last five games? Averillo has set up more and kicked better and he's not even a natural half.

The best halves all take the line on a few times a game. Or they at least run and engage defenders before passing. Flanagan just looks sideways straight away, never engages a defender and goes into Robot tunnel vision mode with an inside ball or pass to Waddell.

Yeah he is.. In the times when we have plenty of ball on their line, he's been preventing us from scoring more or getting repeat sets.
Normally I agree with what you say B-Train but you are way off the mark with this. Each to their own though.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Normally I agree with what you say B-Train but you are way off the mark with this. Each to their own though.
Likewise Malla. It's all good man. I was just never a Flanagan fan and think he's been very disappointing and average with a huge opportunity since joining us. Ideally it's Burton and someone else moving forward..

Malla

Reaction score
Likewise Malla. It's all good man. I was just never a Flanagan fan and think he's been very disappointing and average with a huge opportunity since joining us. Ideally it's Burton and someone else moving forward..
You can say that about the whole team at the moment mate.

Selfish players not playing as a team. Cotric being offside, that's fucking selfish from him. But we will get there.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Selfish players not playing as a team. Cotric being offside, that's fucking selfish from him. But we will get there.
Saw Cotric's off side as more ill discipline, lazy and couldn't care less attitude myself.

I guess that is selfish :grinning:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Probably. But Flanagan's lack of skill, vision, awareness, confidence and footy IQ are huge concerns. You can still stand out on a bad team. Look at DWZ and Thompson or Laurie for the Tigers etc..

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanno is a halfback who has a shit running, passing and kicking game. That should sum it up for anyone. He couldn't even put a grubber in along the ground when 5m out. Kicked it into the opposition on the full. His long kicks are fuckin useless. Passes behind the player or just throws it out the back to no ****.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Flanno is a halfback who has a shit running, passing and kicking game. That should sum it up for anyone. He couldn't even put a grubber in along the ground when 5m out. Kicked it into the opposition on the full. His long kicks are fuckin useless. Passes behind the player or just throws it out the back to no ****.
That grubber.

Katoa showed him how to do it...we're that bad.

Donkey Slayer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Preety much tell em lad

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flanno has looked poor and has taken some poor options. As a young half he is not able to play off the back foot and we rarely get good go forward. He is also getting poor service from Katoa/JMK/Topine. When we do have opportunities he has misfired and is down on confidence. Its not like he has the option to give a strike centre early ball or there is another half who can ease the pressure. I think we have no choice but to persist. I still think if he plays in a team with Burton, he is a different player.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Probably. But Flanagan's lack of skill, vision, awareness, confidence and footy IQ are huge concerns. You can still stand out on a bad team. Look at DWZ and Thompson or Laurie for the Tigers etc..
Anyone defending Flanagan is taking the absolute piss. He handled the ball nearly 70 times yesterday and done absolutely nothing with it. There is no excuse, we had field position, we had possession, we had quicker play the balls, etc. He got the ball in good positions with time and space and all he did was drift sideways, fail to engage the defence and slow down our attack.

Baz is responsible for this, he wanted Flanagan and made him the focal point of our attack. It's bad enough that we don't have a hooker, but to then further cripple us by playing Flanagan in a role he is clearly not competent playing in is just idiotic.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone defending Flanagan is taking the absolute piss. He handled the ball nearly 70 times yesterday and done absolutely nothing with it. There is no excuse, we had field position, we had possession, we had quicker play the balls, etc. He got the ball in good positions with time and space and all he did was drift sideways, fail to engage the defence and slow down our attack.

Baz is responsible for this, he wanted Flanagan and made him the focal point of our attack. It's bad enough that we don't have a hooker, but to then further cripple us by playing Flanagan in a role he is clearly not competent playing in is just idiotic.
You know when people that don't rate Lewis at all are calling for him to replace Flanagan that things must be bad.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jake needs to get more involved, for sure but at least when he kicks a bomb, its not an end-over-end nudie kick straight to the back three EVERY TIME. Jake kicks it high, away from the player with some movement on the ball.

Even Katoa is kicking better than Flanno, he got a 40/20 FFS

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's utter rubbish but as bad as I think he is...the alternatives are WORSE!

Lewis...for the love of flip sakes NO!

Weirdly and boy I feel physically sick saying this, but I'd give JMK a go in the halves when fit. The bloke is a gosh awful hooker, but he does have something.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some interesting points by all.
Lets just say Barrett doesnt drop Flanno.
Which looks likely.
How would you have flanno play to get the best out of him?
Play a 5/8 beside him that will get involved in the game who is not scared of being or making tackles...