Kyle Flanagan 'hated' brutal Bulldogs axing, but now has a new lease on his football life

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I also liked how he said that as soon as he got over it he accepted a few things. That's the lesson he needed IMO.
Agree. He seemed to have a sense of entitlement about him last year but appears more humble this year. Also seemed to have the ‘gotta beat the Chooks’ mantra too much in his head. Now that that’s done, let’s hope he continues to focus/improve given it’s likely he’s here until the end of ‘23 at the earliest.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flanagan Defended well last week but not an NRL level halfback. If he wants to have a career in NRL he should be asking to play dummy half. Sam Walker on the other hand is going to be a star for a long time.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Flanagan of all people should be keeping his mouth shut and letting his football do the talking.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Agree. He seemed to have a sense of entitlement about him last year but appears more humble this year. Also seemed to have the ‘gotta beat the Chooks’ mantra too much in his head. Now that that’s done, let’s hope he continues to focus/improve given it’s likely he’s here until the end of ‘23 at the earliest.
Against the Roosters you could see the Bulldogs try some little variations. Now the halves combo is settled, and really we ain't winning the comp this year. You try and get the game plan towards what you want next year. Can't fix the service from dummy half until Trent finally decides to bite the bullet and get someone else in there. But it is good experience to get that slow ball and still make something out of it. Imagine if the ball was coming to them faster, or the dummy half actually had to be accounted for.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Against the Roosters you could see the Bulldogs try some little variations. Now the halves combo is settled, and really we ain't winning the comp this year. You try and get the game plan towards what you want next year. Can't fix the service from dummy half until Trent finally decides to bite the bullet and get someone else in there. But it is good experience to get that slow ball and still make something out of it. Imagine if the ball was coming to them faster, or the dummy half actually had to be accounted for.
Yep. Only I don’t think #9 is ‘down to Trent’. JMK is really the only choice in what I’ve seen of Cook or BBO even - they’re just not ready for big minutes in the top grade and we’d potentially do their careers more harm than good if we did that. Let them develop in the lower grades like Averillo should’ve (again not a lot of choice). Mahoney should make a difference next year which in turn should have a knock on effect. My bigger concern in the meantime is good footy players don’t regress, but the blast from Gus and the win over the Chooks at least appears to have delivered some belief, some confidence, which is usually half the battle.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Yep. Only I don’t think #9 is ‘down to Trent’. JMK is really the only choice in what I’ve seen of Cook or BBO even - they’re just not ready for big minutes in the top grade and we’d potentially do their careers more harm than good if we did that. Let them develop in the lower grades like Averillo should’ve (again not a lot of choice). Mahoney should make a difference next year which in turn should have a knock on effect. My bigger concern in the meantime is good footy players don’t regress, but the blast from Gus and the win over the Chooks at least appears to have delivered some belief, some confidence, which is usually half the battle.
I'd like to see Avo dropped to reserves to have a go at Fullback. He ain't going to learn that in the offseason. He really needs to start learning now. We have enough centres to cover his absence from the top grade. And if Dufty gets injured or has a poor run of form, he can have a go at the top grade again. Avo has the talent, but really he needs more time to develop, and sometimes that's best in a lower grade.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'd like to see Avo dropped to reserves to have a go at Fullback. He ain't going to learn that in the offseason. He really needs to start learning now. We have enough centres to cover his absence from the top grade. And if Dufty gets injured or has a poor run of form, he can have a go at the top grade again. Avo has the talent, but really he needs more time to develop, and sometimes that's best in a lower grade.
Agree. Might give Jake some confidence and perspective that seems to have assisted The Flange. We can’t lose sight of the fact Jake is still just 21.
Plus, are we really going to re-sign Dufty? I’m not seeing much to suggest he’s earning it at this point.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Credence is our back up fullback, kid can ball

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anyone know why Flanno has avoided taking conversions? Is it a confidence thing or is he carrying an injury?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
But you couldnt even kick a door in. You need to engage the enemy, you cant land punches 5 meters away.
A door is inanimate....I prefer to channel my aggression towards living organisms. Why would I want to land punched? I'm a footy player, not a boxer. I hit like a Mack truck in d. That's what counts.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A door is inanimate....I prefer to channel my aggression towards living organisms. Why would I want to land punched? I'm a footy player, not a boxer. I hit like a Mack truck in d. That's what counts.
Scoring points wins games.
How many try assists or how many times has Flanno looked dangerous with the ball?
I know you love to shit stir but facts are facts.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Scoring points wins games.
How many try assists or how many times has Flanno looked dangerous with the ball?
I know you love to shit stir but facts are facts.
I have 2 try assists in 4 games..... the most of any half at our club....tied with Burton, who has produced 2 TAs in 8 games. Not too bad for a half in such a badly coached side, tbh.

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
Flanno will be MOM friday night. Magnifying Our Misery

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have 2 try assists in 4 games..... the most of any half at our club....tied with Burton, who has produced 2 TAs in 8 games. Not too bad for a half in such a badly coached side, tbh.
2 in 4 games at 7, awesome.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
2 in 4 games at 7, awesome.
Do you even know what you're on about? That's a better strike rate than a lot of more illustrious halves ....in a team that is struggling to score points. It's a better strike rate/ percentage than any other player in our team (Dufty is next best with 3 from 8). It is better than or equal to the percentages per game of established halves including Cody and Sam Walker, Jack Wighton, Nicho Hynes, Matt Moylan, Kieran Foran....not to mention less hyped halves such as Luke Brooks, Tyson Gamble, Albert Kelly.... and the list goes on. There are less than 30 players in the comp with a better percentage of TAs per game than me at this stage, and some of them have only played 1 or 2 games. 2 in 4 is not bad at all in a team that is struggling with the coach's attacking structures.....not to even mention the work I am doing in defence. You should abort this debate. You are losing.