News Kyle and error? (Weidler)

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At this stage it'd be pointless to pay another club part of his wage to get him off the books unless we can guarantee that a replacement will step up. While he's not going to set the world on fire, he's hopefully got enough improvement in his game heading into next year that he'll at least make oppositions pay enough attention to him that they can't focus entirely on containing Burton. That's the basic level he needs to achieve.

But with Schoupp moved on we might have something up our sleeves with recruitment. I don't have any clues on that, but it's entirely possible.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yet we keep/kept playing him when there's no chance he's our future. We're the only NRL club he'll get games at and he knows that. He shouldn't of seen 1st grade last season.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Flanagun. You will never mature and become the man you know you can be while your holding Daddies hand. Let go son become man

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Have to say there is nothing in that Weidler article that couldn't be found elsewhere. There really is nothing new in this. If Flanagan can show he deserves a new contract, or any NRL contract, well that would be great. Just the same as every other player.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's the worst Halfback I've ever seen.

Brooks cops a lot of shit, but at least he tries. Flanagan on the other hand is a passenger at best that thinks he's Nathan Cleary.
Brooks is worse he is on 900k plus
Also Flanagan can tackle one on one

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yet we keep/kept playing him when there's no chance he's our future
Have to keep him in the showroom window.
If he doesn't find a new home (ie someone that will take his salary off our hands), then at some point he will be required to see out his tenure from reggies (hopefully sooner rather than later) - that should at least make the point about his reality from 1 Nov 2023, and "encourage" him to be pro-active. Go to England Kyle!

The ideal is a swap for George Williams. A stint for Kyle in England would be fantastic for him, if he ever has any desire to return to the NRL as a more complete and mature halfback in the future.

If one of the up-and-comer halves (Rajab, Hayward, or Glover) can state their claim early (by the trials) then his goose might already be cooked.

If they don't come on quickly enough, then we might be waiting to see how quickly and how well BBO returns to health and form. It could take the entire season for BBO to get back (effectively a lost season for him. A shame).

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kyle and error?
With his future uncertain beyond next year, Kyle Flanagan is putting his faith in family. He is believed to be leaning towards having his father, Shane, take care of his affairs.

There have been obvious options for Kyle: the Dragons, when Shane was in charge of their roster; and Manly, where Shane is now the assistant coach. He wasn’t recruited by his dad for the Dragons and it appears Cooper Johns is the back-up half option at Manly. While Kyle has been told by the Bulldogs he is free to go if he can find another club, there have been few takers.

What seemed to be the tipping point for Kyle with advisor Wayne Beavis was that Beavis found Kyle a club in England, but the halfback didn’t take up the offer because he is confident of making the Bulldogs No.7 jumper his own. The fact the club was happy for him to move to England says a lot.
He's got another year here let's see how he goes under Ciraldo, and I know I'll get bagged for saying this but I still believe he will improve under a better coach, at least he has a chance and hopefully he does grab it with both hands.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of commentators / ex players say it takes years to learn to become a decent halfback. He's still pretty young. He started playing oay in reserve grade just before he was bought back into first grade. He really needs to learn from experience in game conditions somewhere. I read somewhere he was playing in a touch footy comp in the off season. Stuff lie that will definitely help his attacking skillset. I agree he's not quite ready for NRL. He needs to finish a few more years of his apprenticeship somewhere else other than NRL.
Sam Walker has proven that theory wrong. He was a gun half that led an injury depleted Chooks side to the finals in 21 and played well in 22. He's 4 years younger than Flanno and has far more vision, creativity and overall skills.

chemdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
with the lack of halves in the team for next year it's probs best to keep flanno and let his contract end

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kyle and error?
With his future uncertain beyond next year, Kyle Flanagan is putting his faith in family. He is believed to be leaning towards having his father, Shane, take care of his affairs.

There have been obvious options for Kyle: the Dragons, when Shane was in charge of their roster; and Manly, where Shane is now the assistant coach. He wasn’t recruited by his dad for the Dragons and it appears Cooper Johns is the back-up half option at Manly. While Kyle has been told by the Bulldogs he is free to go if he can find another club, there have been few takers.

What seemed to be the tipping point for Kyle with advisor Wayne Beavis was that Beavis found Kyle a club in England, but the halfback didn’t take up the offer because he is confident of making the Bulldogs No.7 jumper his own. The fact the club was happy for him to move to England says a lot.
It's not personal, every decent fan doesn't care who the player wearing the jersey as long as the player preforms well in the jersey, unfortunately for Flanagan he struggled at the Rorters and got dumped, we took a gamble on him and two years later nothing has changed about his game, where to now for him ?
Is risking staying at the Bulldogs for one more year is the answer for him or the club knowing he isn't wanted ?
In my opinion, going to super league will probably save his career then if he is good enough he could make his way back into the NRL...That's my opinion !

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
we Barrett took a gamble on him
The Flanagan signing, Waddell before him, and Allan after him were red flags that Barrett really did not understand how to be a head coach.
Desperate, low percentage, Hail Mary plays in the recruitment space.
The final nails were placed in the 2022 trials, where it became evident he had achieved nothing in the 2022 pre-season.

On all "PR", Barrett is/was a wonderful coach. On all evidence, the exact opposite is true. Not only is he not even a good coach, he is a demonstrably bad one, as evidenced by how many players go backwards under his watch.

On the upside, Barrett's legacy will be completely undone by Gould & Co. by the end of '23, if not before.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Gun will have a blinder against Manly and get a win against his old man.