Rumour Kristian Woolf new coach ??

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kristian Woolf has turned down the Warriors job.
The owner of the warriors flew over to the UK to meet with him.
Could be a sign that we may have wrapped him up??

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I read somewhere that Ciraldo knocked back the Tigers job too.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere he wants to move back to Australia. Also can’t remember who or where I seen it but someone say his wife posted he got a coaching job and they are coming back after he finishes the season.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Kristian Woolf has turned down the Warriors job.
The owner of the warriors flew over to the UK to meet with him.
Woolf probably turned them down because the Kiwis are so backward they haven't got tele-conferencing, or Skype, or any of the other communication aids that we take for granted here.

Seriously though, the line would be more accurate if it read something like - The owner of the warriors flew over to the UK for a short holiday and he met with Kristian Woolf so that he could get the taxpayer to pay for it.

Or am I just a cynical old B*******?

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see many coaches wanting that warriors job. The teams crap, losing mentality and no players want to go there.
It's certainly not a job suited for someone from the UK, at this time.

Although covid is behind us (hopefully) you just never know. Expectation is that Warriors will displace themselves if travel restrictions are reintroduced.

This would play on the mind of the coach and also the players he would be targeting.

Warriors have done well to avoid the spoon last few years (shows just how bad we were) but it will be a tough job to get them into finals for a few years. Not an ideal job for someone from UK to jump into. Certainly when other NRL jobs are on offer

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woolf probably turned them down because the Kiwis are so backward they haven't got tele-conferencing, or Skype, or any of the other communication aids that we take for granted here.

Seriously though, the line would be more accurate if it read something like - The owner of the warriors flew over to the UK for a short holiday and he met with Kristian Woolf so that he could get the taxpayer to pay for it.

Or am I just a cynical old B*******?
He probably asked the Warriors owner...

"Do you use drones?"
"No, no I don't think we do."
"Then no thanks"

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's funny, everyone seems to be rejecting the Warriors and tigers jobs but I bet they're all interested in the dogs coaching position.
Gus is too laid back by far for a director of football without a head coach for next year. I've had a sneaking suspicion (not a skerrick of hard evidence, I should add) that a handshake deal was done with Kristian Woolf at Magic Round. The board were making noises about the continuing terrible on-field performances, and they would have been looking for reassurance from Gus that everything was under control.

A smart coach, wanting to advance his career, will be looking to coach at the top of the table (jobs like that don't come up very often) or a club on the way up with most of the building blocks in place (the Dogs). The Warriers have got massive potential, but someone has got to do a lot of hard work to turn it into performance. Wests are the consummate coach-killers, and they will only get someone who is desperate (Flanagan?).

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get the feeling Woolf will do 2-3 years under Bennett at the Dolohins before taking over, smart move.
There is a very real possibility that the Dolphins will prop up the table for the next couple of years. Bennett won't be too worried by that, as his motivation for doing the job is to stick it up the Broncos, and he can do that just by fielding a team. His legacy is assured anyway, but his assistant(s) are sure to cop some heat if the team struggle.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope we don"t try another NRL wannabee coach, just stick with the bloke who is doing the job

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There would be more pressure on a coach taking on the job at a club where there has been long term success eg Roosters or Melbourne - high expectations. Imagine taking over after Bellamy?

I still think the Dogs job will be highly sort after despite recent years performances - lots of cap space in 24!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our insurance policy is Potter, but we may well want him as our first choice, he’s capable for sure. It can’t be a coincidence we’re doing better under him, the players have visibly improved under his tutelage. He should get more praise for his influence on this team, JJ seems to try and water it down because he doesn’t want to hurt old mates feelings.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There would be more pressure on a coach taking on the job at a club where there has been long term success eg Roosters or Melbourne - high expectations. Imagine taking over after Bellamy?
That is an interesting hypothesis. Would a prospective coach steer clear because of the size of the shoes he has to fill? My guess would be no. Successful coaches (and a few unsuccessful ones) are driven by ego, and most of them would believe themselves to be the best in the business - even when the results tell a different tale!

Also, whoever takes over from Bellamy will inherit a good team and a great system. The one considerable weakness Melbourne have is their lack of local juniors. Someone in their system - maybe Bellamy himself - has a remarkable skill for identifying an undistinguished player who is capable of taking his game to a higher level, signing him up on a modest salary, and then getting him to that higher level. Once that rainmaker (whoever he is) is gone, Melbourne will struggle.