Knights will bounce back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Cammo said:
Geez it amazes me how everyone is so quick to write the Knights off. Don't be so single mined people as you could all easily have egg on your faces. Things like this make teams so much more determined and passionate and the QLD origin team have shown over the years that passion can beat talent a hell of a lot of the time.

I'm glad we aren't playing them in round 1. Parra copped the brunt of our frustrations over Coffs and I feel Melbourne will cop Newcastle's pretty hard too.
Thank you Cammo...

B

Bwaif

it depends on how they handle it leading up to the game. If they focus on their game like the doggiews did and don't let it affect them, than yeah, I wouldn't want to be in the melbourne team. But I don;t know if they are capable of handling it the way the doggies did last year

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Mike Gibsons article in the telecrap is pretty interesting to read though

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Good point Chris. Technically the Knights fans should now boycott their own game.

*Doggiez Angel*

Sponsored by Playboy
Reaction score
Johns backs alcohol ban on trips
By Ray Gatt and Peter Kogoy
February 23, 2005

ANDREW Johns has led a player push for Newcastle Knights to ban alcohol on trips following the club's infamous visit to Bathurst last weekend.

My way ... Johns.
Pic: Robert McKell
Coach Michael Hagan and chief executive Ken Conway confirmed the ban was one of a number of options the Knights would consider as they try to limit the damage of what has become the most damaging episode in their 18-year history.

Johns, who is due to make a comeback to playing on Saturday night after almost a year out of the game with a knee injury, has taken a proactive stand after 12 Knights players broke a curfew on Sunday morning in Bathurst.

Conway said the players had "tossed up the idea" of an alcohol ban at a crisis meeting yesterday.

"Anything we do will be done in conjunction with the players," Conway said.

"There have been several suggestions regarding a ban.

"Andrew Johns will take a particularly active role in bringing this issue forward as team leader and captain and we would like to discuss and resolve it relatively quickly. Obviously this (alcohol ban) has to be looked at over a period of time and taken into account. We told them we will discuss all issues."

The financially-strapped Knights, who operate without the support of a licensed club, are the only team in the NRL without a major sponsor and admit they have been asked by a prospective backer to "show cause" why negotiations should continue.

"We were in the final stages of completing a deal with a global electronics firm, but the talks have stalled," sales and sponsorship manager Nathan Thurston said.

"From a major naming rights sponsorship perspective, I believe we have been open and totally transparent with the firm since the story first broke."

The Australian learned yesterday that negotiations with the ANZ Bank to sign up as naming rights sponsor fell through last month.

The prospective deal was reportedly worth $2.8 million over three years.

Conway said he was "very anxious" about the club's position.

"You are all aware of our financial situation; you are all aware we can't afford to lose a major sponsor," he said.

Conway did not rule out the possibility the Knights would challenge the NRL's decision to fine them $200,000 for the incidents in Bathurst.

"We haven't received any notification (of a breach) as yet, only what we saw via the press release," Conway said.

"We have some difficulty with parts of their reasoning behind the fine.

"When we get it we'll look at (the possibility of) challenging it."

NRL chief executive David Gallop maintained the Knights had failed to provide adequate supervision of their players.

"I think the proof's in the pudding in that regard," Gallop said.

"Clearly the disincentive to break curfew was insufficient.

"Now whether that was the fact there were not adequate warnings given, whether it was just simply the protocol that was put in place, it's inarguable that it didn't work."

Hagan described the past few days as among the toughest of his career.

"It's been difficult for everyone," Hagan said.

"The players involved let themselves down and I can't express my disappointment enough with what has happened.

"They owe a fair bit to the fans, sponsors and game in general.

"I guess there are a range of things the club needs to review on the back of what happened on the weekend," Hagan said.

Additional reporting by Stuart Honeysett

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Some players reckon the sacking of Tilse is very harsh and it will be pretty hard for him to find a club after what happened

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
T-Rex said:
Some players reckon the sacking of Tilse is very harsh and it will be pretty hard for him to find a club after what happened

well as we know with these kind of scandals there is always a scapegoat!!!

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
kinghts fans are nuts especially ones in newcastle they will stick by their team and i think knights will get though it

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
ThatsMYteam said:
kinghts fans are nuts especially ones in newcastle they will stick by their team and i think knights will get though it
Newcastle will get through it... they have players like Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus who are huge mentors to these guys and im sure they will let them get through it and will bounce back against the storms.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Who cares about knights??? Do u think those rednecks worried about the dogs and there troubles last year? Just Worry about Number 1 --THE DOGS

What goes around comes around... knights = Drugcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.