Knights prop Korbin Sims cops monster pay cut to join Wayne Bennett at Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am all for players getting the TPA's but I really do object when the amount of those TPA's accounts for the greater part of a contract........
100%

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I should additionally have qualified that it also reeks of a dodgy deal when third party contacts are always said to be practically tripping over themselves to 'personally' approach players as sponsors completely 'independent' of the club.....lots of them up Brisbane way it seems and always lucrative ones at that....

Last edited:

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its quite clearly dodgy considering we're talking about a player in the middle of his career and only earning above minimum NRL wage for just under 2 years now deciding to sign a longer term deal on a second tier contract considering his probably only got another 5-6 years to earn his life savings. I would understand if he was 32 and looking for one final chance at winning a trophy and therefore takes a massive paycut but not at the age of 25/6

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
how is the salary cap even close to fair when one team can sign there entire squad on TPA's and still have enough salary cap left to sign another full first grade squad..... I thought the salary cap was meant to put a ceiling on how much a team could spend on players........apparently not

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how players are always willing to play for nothing at the Broncos ?

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Third Party guys. Its all legal unfortunately.
1 City over 3 mil people 1 NRL side.
Not entirely.
Clubs aren't supposed to be able to sign a player for less than a reasonable market value, excluding tpa's.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You do know that the Knights have already paid him about 3 months of his salary this year.

Players get paid every 3 months starting in November.
Yea, so the Knights paid him the same amount to do preseason training, as the Broncos are paying him to play the full season ?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how players are always willing to play for nothing at the Broncos ?
Two big fat 'O's in the name. and they actually pay the club to be on the roster.......

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Cmon how is this possible. David mead just did the same thing. If not mistaken James Roberts was a swap between Copley despite James Roberts being worth a lot more on the open market. Fuck the broncos and fuck the nrl.

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If true that will just about do me. Warning... long winded rant below, scroll on if you must.

The NRL wonder why fans are becoming disillusioned and yet they allow this sort of shenanigans to continue. I thought that contracts weren't allowed to be registered below a reasonable market value? We seriously need some transparency in the whole salary cesspool.

For my own two bob I still think the only way to achieve transparency is to rank a player from 0 to 10 (or assign a fixed dollar value) and the total of player rankings in a squad couldn't exceed a set value, say 100 for first grade, 75 for NSW/QLD cup, and 50 for NYC.

Players like Jonathan Thurston and Mitch Newton would be a ten, untried NYC rookies would be the lowest value. The rating of a player is set for the duration of contract, so if a player develops in to a ten the good luck to that club. As an incentive to clubs they get discounts on players they are resigning or juniors they have developed. Clubs can pay players whatever they like.

Probably way to simplistic, but as a random musing from an unhinged mind I can't think of a much more transparent system. The current system certainly is not transparent... of course if Inwas a Broncos or Storm fan I'd love it.

Anyways, apologies for that.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If NRL placed another club in Brisbane, would it be able to survive? Would fans switch over? Sorry I don't know anything about the region. But if they put another team then it would take away the pulling power Broncos have
theres heaps of ppl in brisbane who hate the broncos.. problem is all those fans are already aligned to other teams.. im sure some would switch

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If true that will just about do me. Warning... long winded rant below, scroll on if you must.

The NRL wonder why fans are becoming disillusioned and yet they allow this sort of shenanigans to continue. I thought that contracts weren't allowed to be registered below a reasonable market value? We seriously need some transparency in the whole salary cesspool.

For my own two bob I still think the only way to achieve transparency is to rank a player from 0 to 10 (or assign a fixed dollar value) and the total of player rankings in a squad couldn't exceed a set value, say 100 for first grade, 75 for NSW/QLD cup, and 50 for NYC.

Players like Jonathan Thurston and Mitch Newton would be a ten, untried NYC rookies would be the lowest value. The rating of a player is set for the duration of contract, so if a player develops in to a ten the good luck to that club. As an incentive to clubs they get discounts on players they are resigning or juniors they have developed. Clubs can pay players whatever they like.

Probably way to simplistic, but as a random musing from an unhinged mind I can't think of a much more transparent system. The current system certainly is not transparent... of course if Inwas a Broncos or Storm fan I'd love it.

Anyways, apologies for that.
I'd like the salary cap to give allowances which enabled clubs to pay extra outside the cap for juniors that they bring through.

Say the cowboys were able to offer Pongia the same money as Newcastle did, but they are allowed to get say a 20% cap exemption. So if Newcastle paid 800,000 the cowboys could have matched the offer with $160,000 of the offer exempt from the cap. Maybe 20% is a but extreme but they're should be some incentive for both clubs and players to stay loyal. This would provide avenues fur clubs to keep their juniors.

Clubs that invested heavily in juniors would stay ahead of the pack by nurturing more talent and in investing in the grass roots of the game. The NRL should see more talent hitting the big stage as a result, and smart clubs could fill haggis by developing their own talent and creating cap space.

Last edited:

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

proof I read it......Mitch Newton a ten with Thurston? lol

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHAT!!! he's getting paid to play under Bennett! That's BS... Some players are just playing because they love Bennett and this guys gets to play with pay! That's so unfair! There needs to be an investigation!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Explains the deal.. now that Ben Hunt is gone from their roster..

Though apparently Wayne-O wants Ash Taylor or Elgey.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Explains the deal.. now that Ben Hunt is gone from their roster..

Though apparently Wayne-O wants Ash Taylor or Elgey.
Are you sure they didn't ring the Broncos and beg for a chance to play there?

Status
Not open for further replies.