Klemmer and Jackos origin chances according to Sirro and Blocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
DAVE Klemmer has been outed as the man to barge his way into a NSW Origin jersey this Sunday as eight forwards fight a Blues Royal Rumble.

NSW great Paul Sironen told The Daily Telegraph Klemmer was “ready for Origin” -- and would play his way into the side against Country at McDonalds Park, Wagga.

“If ‘Klem’ puts his stamp on this weekend’s game he will be part of the Blues pack, no doubt,’’ Sironen said. “He gives NSW size, additional grunt ... he’s ready for Origin.

“And a big game, it gets him in.
t incentive, it’s also open to others. Basically, the forward who plays best on Sunday is earning themselves a Blues jersey.”

So who will it be?

The Daily Telegraph understands as many as eight forwards from both sides remain a genuine chance of winning one, or possibly two, spots for the Origin opener on May 27.

Apart from Klemmer, the other serious contenders are Country lock Josh Jackson, who represented Australia in the recent Four Nations, and City prop Andrew Fifita — who played Origin and six Tests in 2013.

Country boys Tyson Frizell and Joel Thompson are right in the mix, with Ryan James, Tariq Sims and Kade Snowden outside chances.

Asked about his Origin hopes, Klemmer said: “If you play good football Sunday, they’ve got no reason not to pick you.

“But you need to play well. That and have a bit of luck.
“Playing for the Kangaroos last year, I felt like I handled myself out there.

“And if I get the same opportunity for NSW, that would be a dream. I feel ready and if I get the opportunity I won’t worry about anything but doing my job.”

Another NSW great, Country assistant Steve Roach, insisted Jackson be picked for the Blues — particularly if skipper Paul Gallen is sidelined.

The Canterbury backrower has been selected at lock for Country, meaning he will play in the middle rather than on an edge, a move Roach believes is essentially his Origin trial.

“And that’s great to hear, especially coming from someone like Blocker,’’ Jackson said. “Sunday is definitely a genuine trial, with a few spots to be determined.

“And hopefully I’m in the mix. I was NSW 18th man last year but, in saying that, there are so many quality forwards in contention for spots. There’s a lot of work to do.”

Asked what his message to the Country pack would be tomorrow, Roach said: “Go out there and make them pick you, make people say ‘wow’.
“That’s what I want our guys to remember: You’re here, you have the chance.

“But will you go out there and make them pick you?”

Sironen, meanwhile, said Klemmer proved during last year’s Four Nations, where he made three appearances, that he is now ready for Origin football.

“And I know it sounds a bit silly but I played Test footy before Origin too,’’ Sironen said. “So I know how much that can help.

“It’s a step up in intensity playing Origin, no doubt. But having played Test footy, it proves young Klem is ready.

“I think they have him earmarked for a Blues jersey.”

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Klemmer has the raw enthusiasm which I think sets him apart from the others.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Klemmer should walk into the side

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How could you go past Klemmer and Jackson. They'll be there.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Klemmer should make it.

Jackson will have competition from Thompson and Frizzel (Although I just don't see it with Frizzel yet)

C

Casio G-SHOCK

Everyone and anyone have been talking about Klemmer playing origin this year ... it'll be a shock if he isnt named in the squad to play SOO 1 even though secretly rather he played for the Bulldogs instead of origin.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Klemmer and Jackson will walk straight into the blues side, and into the next Kangaroo's squad.

man bear pig

Waterboy
Reaction score
Klemmer is the terminator sent bak from the future to play origin.....before the game gets too soft

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be very surprised if Klemmer doesn't get selected, and Jacko's chance just went up with Bird likely to miss a few weeks with suspension. Personally, I think Josh adds more anyway. He is tireless and did some outstanding things in CvC on the weekend.

It's time for the old brigade to be phased out. First Watmough and Bird, then Gallen and Lewis. I still think the latter two offer a lot, not so the first two.

I'd pick Jackson and Thompson or Frizell.

Status
Not open for further replies.