Kimmorley speaks on player drunkeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
HE is one of rugby league's most upstanding players - and Brett Kimmorley has had enough of drunken NRL stars bringing down the game he loves.
The Bulldogs halfback last night called for players charged by police for misbehaviour to be banned from the game for a year - and repeat offenders kicked out of the NRL for life. Kimmorley told The Daily Telegraph rugby league could not continue to sustain off-field drama by drunken footballers.

A former NSW, Australian and premiership-winning halfback, Kimmorley said he would take his plan to the Rugby Leagues Players Association for support.

"We don't need to be continually kicked in the guts like this," Kimmorley said.

"This isn't something rugby league can keep tolerating. We have to protect the game. When an incident happens we are all tainted. We have to start learning.

"If you are charged then there should be a one-year penalty. If they do it again then it's see you later. AFL and cricket have tougher guidelines. We have to do something."

The NRL must make the "hard decisions", he said.

"This is doing a lot of damage to rugby league and the game won't grow its revenue if the sponsors don't keep putting money in."

"We have to make the hard decisions of which the players will take notice. (Former Canberra halfback) Todd Carney must wonder where his $400,000 a year has gone.

"If you have a criminal record you can't take off to England either.

"There are a lot of good blokes in the game but how many more mistakes can the game take?

"We just can't make mistakes any more - the game has changed from when I first started playing."

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson also said players must be stood down for misbehaviour.

"You can fine players all you want but standing them down affects them," Richardson said. "I just feel a greater punishment is telling them they cannot play.

"We have got to have standards and players are just going to have to live up to those standards."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25207777-5003409,00.html

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Saw him and Hazem comment on the news last night, if only the rest of the league followed the example of these 2 guys.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
lets just hope we dont get a player who ends up in trouble otherwise we will look stupid.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Saw him and Hazem comment on the news last night, if only the rest of the league followed the example of these 2 guys.
what was hazems comments on the issue?

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I reckon he should have just kept his mouth shut because i reckon some of the clowns that got caught and his friends will target him. Plus this may back fire if one of our boys stuffs up, the media will ask for 1 year suspension because kimmorley said so. Others may have gone but we still have roberts & te maari. Why can't the media just go away and target the roosters. Mason always has something to say

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
I reckon he should have just kept his mouth shut because i reckon some of the clowns that got caught and his friends will target him. Plus this may back fire if one of our boys stuffs up, the media will ask for 1 year suspension because kimmorley said so. Others may have gone but we still have roberts & te maari. Why can't the media just go away and target the roosters. Mason always has something to say
same thing i said.

if one of our players gets in trouble we are going to look stupid

GTJOHN

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a good role model ( as much as any sportsppl can be) ...
id prefer he not comment on these matters ..we dont need to get involved

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
I commented recently that it's good having a mouthpiece like Brett at the club, instead of the likes of Mason, but I'm not so sure anymore. It's better not to have any players speaking out like that and just do our thing on the field.

Players will always be interviewed and have their say but in Brett's role as a commentator on fox sports news, I'm a little concerned that some of his opinions might bring negative attention to the cluib. I do however like that he says what he thinks, a la Luke Patten.

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do however like that he says what he thinks, a la Luke Patten.
That's the thing though... People like what he thinks a hell of alot more than what came out of Mason's mouth.

Mason was just an attention seeker in the media. He never had anything of real substance to say. He drew ratings and readers because he was candid and crude.

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
That's the thing though... People like what he thinks a hell of alot more than what came out of Mason's mouth.

Mason was just an attention seeker in the media. He never had anything of real substance to say. He drew ratings and readers because he was candid and crude.
For sure and Mason looked for headlines, Brett just answers honestly. I'm just wary of the attention it has on the club and I thought the same thing last year. I'd watch Noddy a lot on fox sports news and often think, "This isn't great for Cronulla". I also think of other players and what they must think of players like Noddy speaking out.

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Even if (god forbid) one of our player stuffs up this year, i don't think Brett's comments will come back to hurt us. If Stewart only got 4 matches for what he is allegedly charged for, i think players should be dropped for a few games with this case being a precedent. So if it is worse more matches, if its not less matches.

It's the only way players will learn, fining them is not fixing the problem. Maybe missing games will.

G

giant

i have great respect for this man he is a great role model for all kids and players

Status
Not open for further replies.