Kikau OUT

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes of course dementia happens to non-footy players and is a part of life (usually with aging) and I wasn’t suggesting otherwise. I think we agree that the duty of care overall is the right approach, not unlike say airbags when that tech became available and how many lives/long term injuries have they prevented? I don’t know the answer but I’d suggest it’s significant compared to pre-airbag cars.

The 11 day thing will likely change in time as more data shapes policy. For now it’s precautionary so to answer your question, if Cleary or Turbo miss a game or two so what compared to potential long term outcomes.

I don’t see the clubs loudly protesting about the current policy either and I bet the RLPA has a fair bit to say on it to welfare wise. As usual it’s boneheaded fans who think they know better who are bleating over it.
Of course it is better for players to miss a game or two than possibly have dire consequences down the track. My point is simply that the NRL need to make allowances now they have 11 day stand downs, otherwise the game millions love, will not survive.

Even with clubs being allowed to use players outside top 30 to replace head injured players, we’ve already seen in such a short space of time since this new stringent rule came into being, several high profile players suffer the consequences, therefore watering down the talent on show.

Again, obviously this is probably good for their long term well being, but they can still get concussed again, so it isn’t a magic bullet. Meanwhile, the competition is without Ponga, Teddy and now Kikau. Iirc the 11 day rule was meant to not keep a player out for more than 1 match. Well it already is costing Kikau two, so… I guess the NrLol didn’t think about training mishaps the dumb carnts.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A kennel special…

players that come here have to score 10 tries, set up 15 and make 50 tackles to safeguard against any kind of criticism - Kiks has been a good buy imo, once that match fitness improves, he’ll be even better.

CC and our spine also need to learn how to utilise him better.
Where did I solely blame him? I said he hasn't done much which he hasn't. Doesn't look fully fit and is getting dominated when carrying the football unless he's running at a retreating defensive line. I called this when we signed him anyway, without a smart half inside him Kikau was going to look average and unfortunately for us Burton looks to have made zero improvement has a ballplayer.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt anyone knows for sure if head knocks are to blame for those guys’ problems. Sure it’s likely, but I don’t think the science can say for sure. Dementia is common in general unfortunately, with most sufferers probably never being concussed.

Still, I don’t begrudge any organisation for trying to prevent a known contributor to dementia, as anything done to prevent instances of it are good. The problem is, they’re not going about it the smartest way. The 11 day mandatory stand down being enforced without any measures to compensate teams is a major failure. It would be so easy to change regulations to allow for randomly being without gun players due to concussion.

What happens when Nathan Cleary, or Tom Trbo etc miss a massive game because of this rule? Just bad luck? Possibly, but it could also completely taint the competition.
One thing that rarely gets mentioned re concussion is the impact of the abuse of alcohol - and other substances - in the 70 80s 90s binge drinking on a regular basis was a big part of youth culture. Not saying concussion doesnt contribute

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
One thing that rarely gets mentioned re concussion is the impact of the abuse of alcohol - and other substances - in the 70 80s 90s binge drinking on a regular basis was a big part of youth culture. Not saying concussion doesnt contribute
Binge drinking is still a big thing lol

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He looks like he has a future but at this stage he looks to be a fair way off. Very low work rate from what I've seen and heard of him, looks to only really come to life when attacking the opponents goal line.
Yeah we definitely going to need someone willing to roll the sleeves up and do the hard yards.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My point is simply that the NRL need to make allowances now they have 11 day stand downs, otherwise the game millions love, will not survive.
All due respect I think it’s a stretch to say the ‘game won’t survive’ with this rule. Of course it will, they’re just going to have to strike a balance between the contact sport that it is and the long term welfare of players. Even leaving out older players - look at the likes of Cordner (forced to retire over head knocks) or Keary (probably one head knock away from retirement). Now that data is becoming available around CTE, not having a serious policy around it is akin to knowing smoking causes cancer but don’t put any warnings on the packets. It has to be done.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All due respect I think it’s a stretch to say the ‘game won’t survive’ with this rule.
Maybe, but if it keeps going the way it has since HIA came in, in a few years it could be to the point where players are having to retire much sooner and each week a host of the game’s best could be missing.

Getting head knocks is simply unavoidable in rugby league, so they’ll have to completely change the game to stop it from happening.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Can this season just end already, fuck we are cursed

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All due respect I think it’s a stretch to say the ‘game won’t survive’ with this rule. Of course it will, they’re just going to have to strike a balance between the contact sport that it is and the long term welfare of players. Even leaving out older players - look at the likes of Cordner (forced to retire over head knocks) or Keary (probably one head knock away from retirement). Now that data is becoming available around CTE, not having a serious policy around it is akin to knowing smoking causes cancer but don’t put any warnings on the packets. It has to be done.
This is why League was better in the 80s. Society wasn't cucked, no one could moan on internet forums. You just go to the games in person and watch the biff and big hits.

Now everything that is too masculine has to be watered down and sanitised to 'promote the product' otherwise little Johnny's parents won't let him play Rugby League.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It’s an opportunity for someone to stand up like Preston has. I really hope it’s Topine as well
Topine is someone that loves the club has energy and won’t give up even if it’s a blow out. He should already be in the side over a few others.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
This is why League was better in the 80s. Society wasn't cucked, no one could moan on internet forums. You just go to the games in person and watch the biff and big hits.

Now everything that is too masculine has to be watered down and sanitised to 'promote the product' otherwise little Johnny's parents won't let him play Rugby League.
OK.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Que Waddles to make a come back onto an edge...

Beyond dogshit... Bulldog Dog shit.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Que Waddles to make a come back onto an edge...

Beyond dogshit... Bulldog Dog shit.
He won't, we don't have the middles to make that switch.