News Kieran Foran to miss 12 months with two shoulder surgeries

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury have been dealt a massive blow after revelations $1 million playmaker Kieran Foran has been ruled out for the entire 2020 NRL season following surgery on his injured shoulder.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal surgeons found the Kiwi Test five-eighth will require two operations before he can return to the game in a minimum 12-month time frame.

The injury has put the Bulldogs on a collision course with the NRL over salary cap relief.

Foran underwent shoulder reconstruction surgery on Tuesday and had originally hoped it would only keep him out for six months. But surgeons discovered he also needed work on his rotator cuff and have planned for him to go under the knife again later this month.

The shocking news has left the Bulldogs reeling and the club are now set for a showdown with the NRL over salary cap compensation.

Foran is on a $1 million-a-season contract but under NRL rules, there is a limit of only $350,000 salary cap relief to replace players injured in representative football.

Foran suffered the injury while attempting to tackle James Graham in New Zealand’s Test against Great Britain earlier this month.

Foran cannot be medically retired because he wants to play on in 12 months time.

He told The Daily Telegraph recently he had no intentions of hanging up the boots. “It could be six months or longer if they find more problems. They’ll open it up, have a good look and decide what to do.

“There’s no way in the world I’m going to quit football.

“I’m going to fight on. I’m 29 and I’ve always thought I had another three years in me.”

It is the same shoulder that required surgery in 2016. It is a particularly hard blow in that Foran’s million-dollar contract is up at the end of the season.

Foran has averaged only 13 games per season over the last four years at the Parramatta Eels, the Warriors and the Bulldogs.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/1e9063938544296a6d1c7710fa755c82

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Let’s hope he’s not selfish and retires immediately so we’ll have another 750k to spend

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any good will I have for Foran is quickly drying up it's just selfish to do this to the club.

He might think he has 3 years left in him but the majority will be spent in the rehab room.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s his contract done then

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL 350 compensation is a joke

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ohwell. At least we won't have to see him and his 3 good games in 2020 before he's straight out the back door and no longer our problem.

Imagine this and being off contract. If Des and the gang didn't hook him up I'd almost feel sorry for him.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just retire Fozzy. It’s all over mate, accept your fate..your body an well being is more important now. hang up the boots and stay on in an off field role at the club. Better for all involved.!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's the statement from the 'Dogs the bit I have made bold is interesting

"Kieran Foran yesterday underwent re-constructive surgery on his injured shoulder.

The surgery revealed that there was new and additional damage to the shoulder that will require Kieran to undergo further surgery later this month.

At this stage the rehabilitation period for recovery has been estimated as being between 9 and 12 months."

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/11/13/kieran-foran-injury-update/

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Surely he retires now. No way we re-sign him, so he won't play for us again, and I doubt any other club here or overseas take a gamble on him. He will be over 30 by the time he comes back, and averaging about 10 games a year for his last 6 years by then.

He's made enough money to retire, it's not like he would be on centrelink, so can't feel sorry for him. He has to retire now

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefully this gives Cogger and Lewis peace of mind and they can focus on becoming our halves combo without worrying about getting unseated... Pay probably thinks Wakeham is still a bit away.

This opens up another spot on our roster.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if he did not get medically retired - he can come out of retirement whenever he wants - but he has to do right by the club that’s stuck by him all the way!!!!!

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Regardless of medical retirement, we can get that salary cap relief for injured rep players right?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully the NRL don’t screw us around with our so called showdown with them, but we will prob get fkd...

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If i was in his position i would feel guilty for only playing 33% of my contract.
Id help the club with retirement on medical grounds, so they would have the cap relief even when i still got my contract for 2020.
Then come back from retirement when injurys come good.