KIERAN FORAN READY TO GIVE UP WORLD CUP SPOT TO FOCUS ON PRESEASON FOR BULLDOGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
KIERAN Foran is prepared to give up his Kiwi Test jersey for the World Cup to ensure he is in the best shape of his career to help launch a Canterbury Bulldogs fightback next year.

Despite the disappointment over the sacking of his mentor Des Hasler at the Bulldogs, Foran remains fully committed to Belmore and his fourth club in four seasons.

So much so that he will ring New Zealand Test coach David Kidwell this week to break the news he will pulling out of the World Cup campaign to work on injuries.

It is a massive blow for the Kiwis, who are already without champion front-rower Jessie Bromwich and Gold Coast Titans forward Kevin Proctor, both stood down after being caught using cocaine after the Test match against Australia in Canberra in May.

Foran’s decision to reluctantly skip the World Cup may open the door for a fairytale comeback for Benji Marshall.

“I tore my quad during the season,” Foran told The Sunday Telegraph. “My back’s been pretty stuffed too. I’m busted.

“I saw the Canterbury medical staff last week and we’re getting scans to work out the best treatment and best way forward.

“Medically I can’t play in the World Cup.

“I played under strength for much of the year at the Warriors and I just wasn’t strong enough for NRL football. I’ve got to get my body right. I really need a big off-season.”

Foran admits he got upset over speculation about Hasler’s future after he signed with the Dogs, with the axe finally falling on the mentor last Tuesday. But he has no plans to play anywhere else in 2018.

“I’m fully committed to the Bulldogs,” Foran said.

“I’m close to Des and I feel for him as a friend. He’s a great footy coach and his record speaks for itself.”

Foran signed with the Bulldogs midway through the season for two reasons — to play under Hasler and to be back in Sydney closer to his two children.

“I guess I saw it coming from all the speculation,” Foran said of Hasler. “Sometimes things don’t work out as planned, which is disappointing personally.

“But the Bulldogs have made their decision and all I can do is play. We’ll get behind the new coach and hopefully have a really strong year.”

The Dogs are desperate for Foran to make his mark from the opening rounds of the competition. That explains the early meeting with the medical staff last week to get his body right.

The playmaking role has been the club’s biggest weakness and is one of the reasons why officials didn’t stand in the way of fan favourite Josh Reynolds moving to the Wests Tigers on huge money.

Every week they struggled with no structure and the worst attack in the club’s history.

Without Foran, Bromwich and Proctor, World Cup organisers are concerned about the possibility of the Kiwis becoming tournament easybeats. They are currently $6 with the TAB to win the tournament but are likely to drift further after Foran’s revelation. The Kangaroos are close to unbackable favourites at $1.25

There has even been suggestions of pressure being applied to Kidwell to reverse his decision on the two forwards, which was considered over the top in the first place. They have already been suspended, heavily fined and stripped of leadership roles at the clubs.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/84024fe294a0f30e4c4f6643cc95ed55

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't get to excited, Eastwood did the exact same thing by pulling out of international games last season and look how that turned out.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seems like he wasn't certain Hasler would be around. At the end of the day he came to the club to be closer to his kids and because he got a decent deal (money and length of contract). He's made a good decision to focus on club football and get himself fit.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LOL who wrote this??

KIERAN Foran is prepared to give up his Kiwi Test jersey for the World Cup to ensure he is in the best shape of his career to help launch a Canterbury Bulldogs fightback next year.
Foran’s decision to reluctantly skip the World Cup may open the door for a fairytale comeback for Benji Marshall.
“Medically I can’t play in the World Cup.
Quality reporting right there. He's prepared to give up the Kiwi Test jersey in the World Cup, that he won't get anyway because medically he's not fit to ply in the World Cup.

LOL :D

Good to hear he's focussed on 2018 though.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Theres some good news. Hopefully it will uphease some of the people doubting him. Looks like he is making the right decisions to get himself fully fit next year. Im expecting a big change from his form of this year.
The best thing that can happen for the dogs is having the young halves playing with a proper seasoned half. Mbye, Lichaa and lewis will learn plenty from him but we need Lichaa and Mbye to start hitting rep form and spending some time with legends like Smith before they retire . Then we'll be in great shape for the future.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought u said we will struggle for years... Sounds like your starting to gain your faith in the dogs back.

if you havent heard, Des is gone.

under Des , yes we would have struggled for years.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Dymock gets the job at least we know he will drop under performers. Des' ego won't let him drop big money signings.

Everyone has got to be accountable, if Stanley can come back from his injury problems Foran with a full pre-season doesn't have any excuses.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Thats what I want to hear from Foran, I see people bagging him alot on here idk why ? I know he's a gamble but man if he hets his head right & comes good .. who knows what could happen

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I actually forgot we signed Foran hahaha

All seriousness though. Good news just hearing his comments and commitment to the club. It's all you can ask for at this point.

If he can find his old form and play half as good as he did only a few years ago, we have got ourselves a bargain buy.

It's funny how a new coach coming in all of a sudden makes our new recruits and current squad look a lot more promising and better. I'm actually excited for Woods to join now believe it or not. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.