News Kieran Foran hits roadblock for Bulldogs Round 3 return

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kieran Foran may still not be ready to play when the NRL season returns on May 28, with the Kiwi playmaker still not able to take part in contact training sessions at the Bulldogs.

Kieran Foran’s round three return has hit an obstacle with the Canterbury playmaker failing to take part in this week’s contact sessions at Belmore.

Teammate Reimis Smith said that Foran was still on a modified program, while the rest of the team had begun contact sessions in preparation for the May 28 restart.

“Not really [did he take part in the contact session], I think he was just doing a bit of modified stuff … but he is doing what he can at the moment. It’s looking positive but I don’t know if he’ll be there at the start of the season,” Smith said.

Last week, Coach Dean Pay said Foran’s return would depend on him completing more “intensive” training in the lead up to round three.

The 29-year-old Foran suffered a shoulder injury while playing for New Zealand against Great Britain in November last year.

Foran was set to miss at least 12 rounds before the season was suspended on March 23 due to the coronavirus.

The Kiwi international will now only miss a further one or two games depending on how soon he returns to full contact training.

Smith said Foran’s timely return would be a “massive” boost to the Bulldogs after losing their first two games of the season.

Foran could find himself playing alongside Wests Tigers playmaker Josh Reynolds in the halves when he finally makes his comeback. Canterbury favourite Reynolds could be Belmore bound in 2020 if the Tigers and Bulldogs can come to an agreement over the terms of his release.

Pay will also be without new recruit Joe Stimson after he suffered a season ending shoulder injury in round two against the North Queensland Cowboys.

Flyer Smith has backed young forward Renouf To'omaga as Stimson’s replacement when the season restarts.

“There are so many quality backrowers … Renouf has put his hand up, Raymond Faitala-Mariner has his hand up and there are a few others pushing hard from that spot,” Smith said.

“[Renouf] came back [looking] really good. He came back slim and lighter than what he left. He was excited when he came back but there was a spring in his step and there was something different about him. He wants that spot pretty hard and he has been training really hard for it.”

Reimis Smith has backed Renouf To'omaga to replace the injured Joe Stimson. Picture. Phil Hillyard
Bulldogs fans can expect to see Smith in his new spot at left centre again, after playing on the right wing in 2019 where he finished as the club’s top tryscorer with 12 tries.

Canterbury’s winless start to the season hasn’t dampened Smith’s confidence. The 24-year old said with enough time in his new position he could be one of the elite centres in the game.

“I’ve had those two games at centre and there is a lot of room to grow and it’s a challenge. But at the end of the day I back my ability and I believe in myself that I can be one of the best centres in the game. That’s what I’m striving for,” Smith said.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...k/news-story/4842fb1ed429e4fc803f603c79fc96f5

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
To'omaga dropped more weight and could potentially shift back to the edge? Maybe Pay and the staff discussed this move before the game was suspended and To'omaga smashed his cardio during this time to press for the starting spot? Do think he's more suited to the middle and defensively could be caught out if defending on the edge, but at least Pay is looking at something that could potentially give us some more strike.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
To'omaga dropped more weight and could potentially shift back to the edge? Maybe Pay and the staff discussed this move before the game was suspended and To'omaga smashed his cardio during this time to press for the starting spot? Do think he's more suited to the middle and defensively could be caught out if defending on the edge, but at least Pay is looking at something that could potentially give us some more strike.
He definitely looks like he slimmed down again. As you say defensively he could get found out but he could potentially turn into a damaging player on a edge. If it means he gets more game time then why not give him a go there? We are pretty thin in the back row.
C81B36CF-72ED-4E3A-A600-925A9B486D2D.jpeg

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Wow a positive post from you, I'm impressed .

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
I'm getting sick feelings here from when Broncs unearthed Fifita or Panthers with Kikau. There is a 60/40 chance of Renouf going well there but I back him. As for Remis at centre yet again, well that's another story for another day. :grinning:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah I backed to omaga to play edge a while ago. He used to be pretty quick hopefully he’s got abit of his pace back. Deserves a shot!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He definitely looks like he slimmed down again. As you say defensively he could get found out but he could potentially turn into a damaging player on a edge. If it means he gets more game time then why not give him a go there? We are pretty thin in the back row.
View attachment 14816
I have memories of him on the edge in 20s dominating at times and outpacing outside backs lol, think he was also POTY for us. Him running off both Wakeham and Foran could be a key part of our attack moving forward so as you said it could be worth giving him a go considering how thin we are.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have memories of him on the edge in 20s dominating at times and outpacing outside backs lol, think he was also POTY for us. Him running off both Wakeham and Foran could be a key part of our attack moving forward so as you said it could be worth giving him a go considering how thin we are.
He actually started off as centre in SG Ball years ago! Then he got put on the Bulldog conditioning program of getting as bulky and wide as possible while losing a stack of agility and pace.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Come back from a pre season bulked up so des told him he’s now a prop.
He scored a mad try a few years back at the nines

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Because it's potentially a good move unlike recruiting that deadshit Reynolds and blocking the pathway for Wakeham/Averillo.
No one is blocking progress . Are you going to start wakeham and averillo is the halves next year? Side by side with a full cap, what if we buy fafita, Mitchell and friend..are you going to start rookie halves, or do you want a veteran along side 1. What is Townsend gets a release, we get our 7 or is that blocking development. Maybe it all has to do with your love for Reynolds lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No one is blocking progress . Are you going to start wakeham and averillo is the halves next year? Side by side with a full cap, what if we buy fafita, Mitchell and friend..are you going to start rookie halves, or do you want a veteran along side 1. What is Townsend gets a release, we get our 7 or is that blocking development. Maybe it all has to do with your love for Reynolds lol.
I'd happily start both Wakeham and Averillo, both plenty talented and there is no one established available on the market. I'm not buying a half for the sake of buying a half. Invest money elsewhere, want experience then buy Friend to help them, buy and actual fullback that can pass a ball, get a centre that can actually beat a man one on one, etc. So many better ways to spend the potential 300-400k than buying fucking Reynolds. Reynolds is also more injury prone than Foran with no where near the same talent.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's very unlike Foran to miss games. He's usually an iron man... Bradyk and Twin Turbo must be devastated that he'll slip under the 50% of all games played mark.

Still, even appearing in 48% of the games over two plus seasons doesn't classify as injury prone according to some and should warrant a two year extension.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
View attachment 14816
I’m excited about the prospect of Renouf playing on the edge

To come back after lockdown in fighting weight points to his self discipline and hunger to nail down a starting spot!

The more time he gets out there the better he will be for us with his effective hit ups and presence on defence not to mention his strike power through his running and offloads.

He will take a few games to get used to the defensive side with regards to positioning and communication with his edge but fk we have nothing to lose and this move is worth persisting with

Stimson was a dud and liability in defence the first couple games