Kevin Hastings walks away from Roosters over Mitchell Pearce’s departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

KEVIN Hastings spilt blood for his mighty Roosters. A club hall of famer and halfback in Eastern Suburbs’ team of the century.

But the passion has gone for ‘Horrie’ Hastings. The Eastern Suburbs legend has had enough of his former club.

“I don’t have any feelings for them. I don’t, whether they win or lose, I don’t really care,” Hastings said. “There’s no passion there for me. Nothing.”

Hastings even says he will not attend another Roosters game.

His frustration follows their decision to sign Test halfback Cooper Cronk and allow club favourite Mitchell Pearce to walk away from Bondi. That comes less than 12 months after his son Jackson, 21, was released from the Roosters to join Manly

Hastings retired in 1987 following a stellar career with 239 first-grade games for the tricolours, but said he had since been “wiped” by the club.

WORLD CUP: Semi-final teams

UNLUCKY: Koroisau devastated to lose Green

Jackson Hastings with his father, Roosters great, Kevin Hastings. Picture Gregg Porteous
“All these people at the club can say whatever they like about me, I don’t really care. That doesn’t worry me anymore,” Hastings said.

“I’m not here to bag anyone but I won’t go and watch them play, only if (son) Jackson is playing against them (for Manly). This comes from the heart.

“For a guy like me, who played all those games, and won all those awards, and was there for all the good times and bad times, and was loyal to that club ... it’s just nothing now.

“Over the years, the Roosters pick and choose whoever they want to stay loyal to, otherwise it’s just ‘see you later’.

“When I finished I was just wiped. That’s where it stems from.

“They say ‘we are here for you’ and ‘we love you like a son’ — they say that to a lot of guys. Loyalty is out the window now, it’s all a business.”

Pearce was granted an immediate release on Monday and will join either Manly, Cronulla or Newcastle.

Kevin Hastings has turned his back on the Roosters.
There was talk he was spotted in Newcastle on Tuesday.

Pearce leaves a heartbroken man after debuting for the Roosters back in 2007.

“It’s very demeaning for a kid, he’s only 28, and has played 238 games, that they say ‘we would love to have you but we’re sitting you on the bench’,” Hastings said.

“If he was there for a season or two, maybe that’s fair enough. Nah, it’s rubbish.

“Mitchell Pearce, people either love him or hate, but he has given 11 seasons to the Roosters. A lot of people have put a lot of pressure on him.

“Now they have just gone and said, ‘oh well, forget about it, we have got Cooper Cronk.’

“Why would a bloke on $800,000 want to sit on the bench and get 15 minutes a game and not play halfback?

“It’s no skin off my nose but I feel for the guy. Being there for 11 years, this could be hard to take. Mitchell made some errors, granted, but how he’s been treated — it’s a business.”

Hastings stressed loyalty in rugby league was dead.

“That’s just how I feel. It’s like when they say you have the full backing of the board — that means you’re gone,” Hastings said.

Love it! Tells it how it is!

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

KEVIN Hastings spilt blood for his mighty Roosters. A club hall of famer and halfback in Eastern Suburbs’ team of the century.

But the passion has gone for ‘Horrie’ Hastings. The Eastern Suburbs legend has had enough of his former club.

“I don’t have any feelings for them. I don’t, whether they win or lose, I don’t really care,” Hastings said. “There’s no passion there for me. Nothing.”

Hastings even says he will not attend another Roosters game.

His frustration follows their decision to sign Test halfback Cooper Cronk and allow club favourite Mitchell Pearce to walk away from Bondi. That comes less than 12 months after his son Jackson, 21, was released from the Roosters to join Manly

Hastings retired in 1987 following a stellar career with 239 first-grade games for the tricolours, but said he had since been “wiped” by the club.

WORLD CUP: Semi-final teams

UNLUCKY: Koroisau devastated to lose Green

Jackson Hastings with his father, Roosters great, Kevin Hastings. Picture Gregg Porteous
“All these people at the club can say whatever they like about me, I don’t really care. That doesn’t worry me anymore,” Hastings said.

“I’m not here to bag anyone but I won’t go and watch them play, only if (son) Jackson is playing against them (for Manly). This comes from the heart.

“For a guy like me, who played all those games, and won all those awards, and was there for all the good times and bad times, and was loyal to that club ... it’s just nothing now.

“Over the years, the Roosters pick and choose whoever they want to stay loyal to, otherwise it’s just ‘see you later’.

“When I finished I was just wiped. That’s where it stems from.

“They say ‘we are here for you’ and ‘we love you like a son’ — they say that to a lot of guys. Loyalty is out the window now, it’s all a business.”

Pearce was granted an immediate release on Monday and will join either Manly, Cronulla or Newcastle.

Kevin Hastings has turned his back on the Roosters.
There was talk he was spotted in Newcastle on Tuesday.

Pearce leaves a heartbroken man after debuting for the Roosters back in 2007.

“It’s very demeaning for a kid, he’s only 28, and has played 238 games, that they say ‘we would love to have you but we’re sitting you on the bench’,” Hastings said.

“If he was there for a season or two, maybe that’s fair enough. Nah, it’s rubbish.

“Mitchell Pearce, people either love him or hate, but he has given 11 seasons to the Roosters. A lot of people have put a lot of pressure on him.

“Now they have just gone and said, ‘oh well, forget about it, we have got Cooper Cronk.’

“Why would a bloke on $800,000 want to sit on the bench and get 15 minutes a game and not play halfback?

“It’s no skin off my nose but I feel for the guy. Being there for 11 years, this could be hard to take. Mitchell made some errors, granted, but how he’s been treated — it’s a business.”

Hastings stressed loyalty in rugby league was dead.

“That’s just how I feel. It’s like when they say you have the full backing of the board — that means you’re gone,” Hastings said.

Love it! Tells it how it is!

Hey MR Hastings loyalty in the game of rugby league has been dead for a long time, it’s very rare now a days... and the roosters is the most unloyal club on the planet the club is absolutely soulless no morals or standards, and are the biggest Chokers in rugby league history lol...

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he has experienced the most extreme of this being at the roosters.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like the club didn't want anything to do with him after his playing days... not surprised at all.. typical piece of shit club.

Tell your son to sign with the family club. Fans and staff will look after you both like their own.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin Hastings has had the shits with the club , the day they sacked his son Jackson. The Roosters wised up and realised that Hastings was a lemon, and couldn’t wait to offload him. Even more hysterical is that the club that picked him up Manly, are now trying to get Canterbury to buy him.
Horrie Hastings is a scorned father.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought he walked away from the Roosters when his son was flicked.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
How good is it to see him call it exactly how it is! Grub of a club. Will be more lols at the chokers again

sheep dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kevin Hastings has had the shits with the club , the day they sacked his son Jackson. The Roosters wised up and realised that Hastings was a lemon, and couldn’t wait to offload him. Even more hysterical is that the club that picked him up Manly, are now trying to get Canterbury to buy him.
But a better bloke for not supporting the chooks

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Or he just realised that roosters are a shit club :grinning:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We have all had to accept the current "no loyalty" that is RL in the modern era but IMO the Rorters would be the worst of them all.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you believe the Roosters, they didn't have to release Pearce to afford Cronk LOL. So Pearce could have been made to play hooker next year. I actually blame Cronk for this whole mess. He deliberately waited until after the season finished so the decision wouldn't distract the Storm's season. Now most club's have finalised their rosters and it's not as easy to move or sign players as it would have been in June.

I wouldn't distance myself from the club because they released one player. Just shows Hastings is really just salty about his son being given the flick

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have all had to accept the current "no loyalty" that is RL in the modern era but IMO the Rorters would be the worst of them all.
Absolutely true. Everyone at the Roosters has a used by date. That date is usually whenever someone better is available.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If you believe the Roosters, they didn't have to release Pearce to afford Cronk LOL. So Pearce could have been made to play hooker next year. I actually blame Cronk for this whole mess. He deliberately waited until after the season finished so the decision wouldn't distract the Storm's season. Now most club's have finalised their rosters and it's not as easy to move or sign players as it would have been in June.

I wouldn't distance myself from the club because they released one player. Just shows Hastings is really just salty about his son being given the flick
I wonder what the chances are that Cronk was going to the Rorters all along and was decided early in the season. I have lost all respect for Cronk tbh and as a Qlder IMO he has tarnished his legacy.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what the chances are that Cronk was going to the Rorters all along and was decided early in the season. I have lost all respect for Cronk tbh and as a Qlder IMO he has tarnished his legacy.
Roosters will do that to you!!!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Maybe so....but what does it matter? He is 100 percent correct. Your club is soulless and gross....and next to no chance next year. Go find a real club to support, why don't you?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You think Uncle Nick just kept it quiet so that it wouldn't be a distraction during the season? From what I've heard from an unreliable source was that Souths were really interested in Cronk and the only thing that held them back was his asking price.

Status
Not open for further replies.