Keep/Sell/Buy

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
A number of those guys are off contract and the rest, including Elliot and Jackson are grinders who would have been fine pre 6 again. In the new game after a top 1, 9 and 6 or 7 a tackling busting 2nd rower is the most important, think Fifita/Kikau. None of our guys are in that mould. Players like that are hard to find, Matterson has baggage/issues, but could be gettable for next year and we are desperate. Worried about his concussion history that would be a potential stumbling block.
None off contract.
Doorey, Elliott, RFM, Jackson, Stimson, Topine, Waddell

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d be happy to sell all on that list barring maybe Okunbor, maybe Atoni.

buy....

If we REALLY want to turn this once proud club around, and get back to where we should be, top 4 every year minimum target, then we need BIG scalps, and they don’t all have to come at once. It needs to be built properly.

that said, need either Papenhuyzen or Grant. Both will be impossible, so I think Papenhuyzen is more likely.

we NEED a gun hooker
We NEED a metre eater front rower.

what Id love our team (or nucleous of it) to look like come 2023 would be something like this based on “buy, sell, keep”

Papenhuyzen (B)
JAC (K)
Alamoti (K)
Cotric (K)
Okunbor (K)
Burton (K)
Flanagan (K)
Rudolf (B)
Smith or Clarke (B)
Haas (B) or Gueler / Afoa
Elliot (K)
Talakai (B)
Thompson (K)

reserves from
Jacko - nearing the end
Averillo
Topine
Doorey
Maybe - Meaney depending on if stays for cheap
Maybe - Lewis if cheap. I still think he could be a handy back rower who could cover half / centre or even hooker if an injury happens during a game.
Hetherington
Atoni if cheap
B Biondi-Odi
Schoupp
Stimson if still contracted
DWZ for 300 or fk off
I’m sure I’m 2 years there be a few more young kids from the system.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a shit thread, once some of these players start turning things around you will all change your minds. I think this should wait til after round 15. Sick of seeing the same thread time and time again.
And I am sick of watching the dogs get thrashed week after week. This mob are worse than the early 60s team. I was there at the time.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Leeson ain't bad but will be 32 in December... Swerve
Yeah true but he had some time off from earlier injuries and he might be the older pro we need up front..

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
KEEP
Atoni, Marshall-King, Meaney, Okunbor, Smith.

JMK has utility value and squad depth, and he isn't as bad as some of the people here make him out to be. Meaney looks like one of our better outside backs (not like that is difficult atm) and Smith, Atoni & Okunbor are competition/depth.

SELL
Britt, Crichton, Hopoate, Katoa, Katoa, Lewis, Napa, Roumanos, Seumanufagai

BUY
I'm sure we would pick up a few players for depth etc but the major ones i'd be going after are Brandon Smith, Sebastian Kris, Jaydn Su'A, Bunty Afoa.

Realistically we would still need another prop but with no one on the market for 2021 i'd rather wait an extra year then waste money on a flop.

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Corey Allan
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Nick Cotric
6. Matt Burton
7. Kyle Flanagan
8. Luke Thompson
9. Brandon Smith
10. Jack Hethrington
11. Adam Elliott
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Josh Jackson
14. Jake Averillo
15. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Bunty Afoa

Renouf Atoni, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Will Hopoate, Sione Katoa, Tui Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, James Roumanos, Ava Seumanufagai, Chris Smith

15 players off contract

Keep - Meaney, Okunbor, Chris Smith, Atoni - all depth signings. No contracts upgraded in value.

Sell - JMK, Britt, Crichton, Hoppa, Katoa X 2, Lewis, Napa, Ogden, Ava, Roumanos.

Buy - JAC, Burton, William Kennedy, Tanah Boyd, Mark Nicholls, Leeson Ah Mau/Bunty Afoa, Jake Granville, Talakai, Fletcher Baker, Billy Britain

We have already bought JAC and Burton for 22. I've tried to come up with players on similar value contracts, some less/more than what we are replacing. We probably don't have enough for a top end type player as we basically flipped hoppa/napa into Burton/JAC.
Realistically players off contract such as Rudolph, Capewell, Coates, Nathan Brown, Sua aren't coming to us unless it's for overs which we can't afford for 22 if we.dont want to create a cap hole.

As I said Hoppa/napa flip to JAC/Burton.

S.Katoa > Naden
T. Katoa + Crichton > Kennedy
Ogden > Nicholls
Britt > Talakai
Lewis > Granville
Ava > Afoa/ Ah Mau
Ramanous > T. Boyd

I believe the players replacing those above offer better value than what we have and are realistic targets. We have to balance the cap and factor in who we already have. Potential lineup could look like

1.Kennedy
2.JAC
3. Allan
4. Naden
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Thompson
9. Granville
10. Hetherington
11. Elliott
12. Talakai
13. Jackson

14. Avo
15. Nicholls
16. Topine
17. RFM (middle forward or push Elliot into middle)

Depth

DWZ (needs to be shopped around can't fit him in the team with JAC coming in)
Ah Mau
Boyd
Meaney
Atoni
Smith
Waddell
Stimson
Okunbor
Wakeham
Shoupp
Doorey
Deitz
, Britt, Crichton, Hoppa, Katoa X 2, Lewis, Napa, Ogden, Ava, Roumanos.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have too many turds to flush. Will be difficult to replace them all. I’d be happy with a team full of hobbits so longs as they had a crack.

steveng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If the club is seriously getting into the market they needed to tie up Staggs , Dufty , Sua , Rudolf , Clarke and a experienced prop!

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would maybe sign Atoni and Okunbor for depth but most of them have to go, they have contributed to a losing culture for far too long and it's time for a fresh start.

doggy bill

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Reuben Cotter is killing it at the cows and currently not playing his natural hooking position. Perfect fit for the team, hard working, young and talented.