Katsidis inspired by late brother in Marquez fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Katsidis inspired by late brother in Marquez fight
(AFP) – 12 hours ago

LAS VEGAS, Nevada — Barely a month after the death of his older brother, Australian Michael Katsidis faces the biggest fight of his life on Saturday in a double world title showdown against Juan Manuel Marquez.
Katsidis decided to continue his Thailand-based training last month after the unexpected death of Stathi Katsidis, a 31-year-old Australian champion jockey from Brisbane.
"I will do this for Stathi, my family and myself," Katsidis said. "Stathi is inside me. We will fight this fight together. I know this is what he wants."

Katsidis, 27-2 with 22 knockouts, will face World Boxing Association and World Boxing Organization lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez, 51-5 with one draw and 37 knockouts, in a possible launching pad fight for the Mexican.
Marquez and his promoters have talked up the possibility of a third fight against Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao, who won a 2008 split decision over Marquez after the two had fought to a draw in 2004.
The Asian star has talked down the idea of a third fight with a man who has not beaten him, but with unbeaten US star Floyd Mayweather facing legal charges and nixing an earlier fight bid, Marquez might be an attractive foe if he wins.
"This is going to be a very difficult fight," Marquez said. "I'm not taking anything for granted. I'm going to have to be at my best. We will give the fans a great show."

Marquez rebounded from moving up in weight and losing to Mayweather last year by decisioning former lightweight champion Juan Diaz last July.
"He?s one of the best in the world pound-for-pound," Katsidis said. "I?m ready for the challenge though. I don?t think he?ll be able to hold me off for 12 rounds."
Marquez, seven years older than his rival at age 37, has only three losses in the past 11 years, falling to Pacquiao, Mayweather and Indonesian unbeaten Chris John in 2006.
Katsidis suffered both career losses in 2008, being stopped by Cuban southpaw Joel Casamayor and losing a split decision to US veteran Diaz.

"Katsidis is a very aggressive fighter and has respectable power, but we're ready," Marquez said.
The card also includes undefeated American Andre Berto, 26-0 with 20 knockouts, defending his World Boxing Council welterweight title against Mexico's Freddy Hernandez, 29-1 with 20 knockouts.It will be the fifth defense of the crown for Berto since claiming the vacant title by stopping Mexico's Miguel Angel Rodriguez in the seventh round in 2008. Hernandez has won 12 fights in a row over five years to set up his first world title bout.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.3dc44dd9702b8e6a6555a2ff8e3c30c9.a01

good luck katsidis! true warrior

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Katsidis the great

**** I hope he wins this one

Status
Not open for further replies.