Kathleen Folbigg pardoned after spending 20 years in jail over killing her four children

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Imagine what Kathleen went through.
  • Loosing 1 baby is bad enough, imagine loosing 4 - that alone is bad
  • Being convicted of their murders, and having everyone think that you're a baby killer
  • Being branded Australia's worst female serial killer
  • Not one, including your own spouse, not believing you
  • Spending 20 years of freedom in jail for a horrendous crime she did not commit
You would need to think $25,000,000 is on the cards if her conviction is overturned.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
She will flat out get 3 million.

Some experts are saying, she may not be able to sue, as at the time the medical technology wasn't available at the time.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Should be clear on this. She's not innocent. Just with modern tech, there's enough plausible doubt that a conviction would not have been upheld back in the day.

And have to say - of the four kids - two each had two completely different genetic mutations. And one of the pairs genetics apparently has been shown to cause cardiac issues in mice. So this whole genetics thing is a bit sketchy. Alternatively, never was any specific evidence of how she killed the kids.

No personal views on this at all - just putting out the circumstances.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be clear on this. She's not innocent. Just with modern tech, there's enough plausible doubt that a conviction would not have been upheld back in the day.

And have to say - of the four kids - two each had two completely different genetic mutations. And one of the pairs genetics apparently has been shown to cause cardiac issues in mice. So this whole genetics thing is a bit sketchy. Alternatively, never was any specific evidence of how she killed the kids.

No personal views on this at all - just putting out the circumstances.
Perfectly put.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on the fence with it. I think it's a slippery slope if you want to talk about genetic mutations and how Mice are effected v babies. To have 4 kids die of the same cause is a red flag. However I think the police work was sloppy and they did not carry out their due diligence in the investigation, hence why we are here I guess.

She won't be able to sue because the pardon does not mean she is innocent. The Pardon is off the back of one persons opinion - Justice Bathurst. His review did not say she was innocent, he came to the conclusion that the kids 'could' have died due to natural causes (based on apparent scientific evidence). Because the case 20 years ago was built on circumstantial evidence, any reasonable doubt meant you could not convict her. Unless she appeals (not sure if she can?) the conviction, she is still guilty.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“If that was to happen, it would be open to Ms Folbigg to initiate civil proceedings against the state of NSW for compensation,” Daley said.

“The only other avenue for compensation or the like would be for her to make an application to the government for an ex gratia payment.”

Right, that makes sense. So any payment would essentially be the up to the NSW Government paying her in good faith because of the wrongful conviction. However I highly doubt the Gov will pay her anything as nothing proves she was innocent.

I am very interested now in how this is treated. There would be hundreds of convictions from back then who would benefit from modern tech. How will we treat those?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There appears to have been an unconscious bias against her from the get go. It is amazing to me that the diary entries, which appear to have been the key bit of evidence that the jury relied on, were never examined by experts. Every mental health expert I've spoken to about the case identified them as clear indications of grief, not guilt. At the court trial only the prosecutor gave an opinion on them, and you can guess what they had to say. Only in the most recent review were experts in mental health brought to the table. In such a case this is inexcusable, and blame for this oversight rests on everyone involved, not just the defense.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There appears to have been an unconscious bias against her from the get go. It is amazing to me that the diary entries, which appear to have been the key bit of evidence that the jury relied on, were never examined by experts. Every mental health expert I've spoken to about the case identified them as clear indications of grief, not guilt. At the court trial only the prosecutor gave an opinion on them, and you can guess what they had to say. Only in the most recent review were experts in mental health brought to the table. In such a case this is inexcusable, and blame for this oversight rests on everyone involved, not just the defense.
I think this is just the way the police did their work back then. I love listening to 'Case Files' podcasts that reviews a lot of murders from 80s and 90s, and it's always just dodgy and lazy police work. I think maybe the fact they didnt have the same technology and resources back then, they'd use gut feel on who they think is guilty and build their whole case around that - otherwise it's victim statements, witnesses and confessions from the guilty person. Nowadays with tech and science you can't get away with much.

That Dawson case podcast a few years ago really drew me in to how things were investigated back then. You are absolutely right, a lot of bias.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Her husband testified against her during the case. He released a statement today saying that nothing has changed, and he still believes she killed their children.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Her husband testified against her during the case. He released a statement today saying that nothing has changed, and he still believes she killed their children.
Grief stricken husband who has believed she did it for 20 years still thinks she did it. Seems about as compelling as the 'evidence" that was used to convict her in the first place.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
She loses four children one after the other, what scientific evidence says they were all bad luck?
Wish her all the best if innocent but thats one hell of a bad DNA.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
This is the biggest coincidence since the movie home alone 4

you can’t blame Kevin to start wondering if his family are trying to get rid of him after forgetting him 4 times ffs, similarly you can’t blame people from automatically suspecting she is guilty

never ever shake your baby btw

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The true disgrace was having the 3rd and 4th kids when the first two died on you.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
She is a loser why would Australis waste taxpayer money on this. Just leave her there.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There’s been women with generic disorders who have lost more kids

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m not convinced this woman is innocent.
I understand, she had to be pardoned as she was convicted of 4 murders and now two of them have some doubt surrounding them.
but there’s still two unexplained deaths here, a husband who lived with the woman and feared what she could do, and and diary entries that could only described as the thoughts of a very sick woman.
Also, something that’s being lost on many commentators on this is;
How would you like to be that man? What about him?
How would you like to have the person you believe, and was convicted of, murdering your 4 kids, pardoned? But as if that’s not bad enough, then paraded all over the media as a champion for all to aspire to?
I hope he has some support.