Opinion Karl Oloapu

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate thank F*ck someone understands the basics, if the forwards are getting dominated every week then it doesn’t matter if you have the Australian spine nothing is going to happen.
Players like Burton n Averillo JAC can play - they can take advantage of space and momentum - we don't know if Alamoti n Oloapu can at this level as they are yet to play in a team that earns it.

What i dont understand over the last five to seven years it doesnt seem to matter who the coach is or the players are the forwrads get dominated wth n without the ball from the first couple of sets in the game.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kid has been thrown in the deep end and still has plenty to learn. Is a shite environment for youngsters to develop.
He is the least of our worries.
Need the forwards to man up and lay a decent platform and his captain Burton to show some leadership qualities.
He has a number of well paid and experienced team mates who should be questioned about what they are bringing well before young Karl.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Forgot to add that Karl looks like another victim of our UFC training camp :tearsofjoy:

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He hasn’t done anything wrong defensively, been very good at that in fact and the entire attack from Perham and Burton is what makes it suck so bad. Not Karl. Done absolutely nothing wrong. TK is an absolute disgrace sometimes fmd

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to get some forwards who can actually bust the defence and stop the opposition’s big boppers. That has been the glaring deficiency in most games, particularly the last fortnight. King tries hard and often gets through a decent amount of work, but is small. TPJ is pretty useless most games and the rest aren’t worth mentioning, except Pele, who can make an impact, but is still very young in his career (only played 6 matches) and doesn’t have the motor, like an AFB etc.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Players like Burton n Averillo JAC can play - they can take advantage of space and momentum - we don't know if Alamoti n Oloapu can at this level as they are yet to play in a team that earns it.

What i dont understand over the last five to seven years it doesnt seem to matter who the coach is or the players are the forwrads get dominated wth n without the ball from the first couple of sets in the game.
Been saying for years there seems to be an inherent Loser mentality at the club that seeps it's way into the playing group, no matter the coach or players.

It's definately a thing.

We haven't recruited the right players to overcome this. We needed competent 100% effort players first and foremost to eradicate the Loser mentality.

Instead we got inexperienced, or low skilled, follower, "project" type players, or vacuous low effort show ponies, instead of all effort leaders who drag out and demand high performance.

You only have to look at Phins to see the blueprint of the type of forward pack that needs to be cobbled together to give you a platform to allow a solid base to work off.

One or 2 of the vacuous low effort show ponies could work in that pack bc they have the mix right.

Gus needs to find us the right players and get rid of the low effort, mistake riddled unreliable players....gonna take a few more years yet of blending them bc we dont gave Bennett to gell it all together.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been saying for years there seems to be an inherent Loser mentality at the club that seeps it's way into the playing group, no matter the coach or players.

It's definately a thing.

We haven't recruited the right players to overcome this. We needed competent 100% effort players first and foremost to eradicate the Loser mentality.

Instead we got inexperienced, or low skilled, follower, "project" type players, or vacuous low effort show ponies, instead of all effort leaders who drag out and demand high performance.

You only have to look at Phins to see the blueprint of the type of forward pack that needs to be cobbled together to give you a platform to allow a solid base to work off.

One or 2 of the vacuous low effort show ponies could work in that pack bc they have the mix right.

Gus needs to find us the right players and get rid of the low effort, mistake riddled unreliable players....gonna take a few more years yet of blending them bc we dont gave Bennett to gell it all together.
As each week passes the philosophy or judgement of the decision makers at the club becomes increasingly difficult to have confidence in. Id love them to force the non effort players to play RM Cup in the bye round

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
As each week passes the philosophy or judgement of the decision makers at the club becomes increasingly difficult to have confidence in. Id love them to force the non effort players to play RM Cup in the bye round
Tender hooks with that idea bc these guys dont have the fortitude to pick themselves up and use that slight by the coach to improve their performances.

I dont know where Ciro goes from here with them. He has publicly bagged them last week and this week says reserve grade guys will be evaluated on their game today.

If he sticks to non, or bad, performers like he has for the past month, then his credibility and respect will be severely affected.

If he drops all those deserving of it, well it looks desperate.

These are all decisions he should have made incrementally over the past 2 months to rectify what is not being carried out of his coaching gameplans.Coaches need to jump on player flaws or else they themselves wear it...especially knowing our recent past coaching history.

Hard lesson for CC as well.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The only times this year where the Bulldogs have looked threatening in attack is when someone goes forward in the tackle from the point of contact (positive not negative pcm's) and gets a quick play the ball and Reed jumps out from dummy half and runs to the line then passes either side to a backline that has ben deep and is running onto the ball. Other teams, eg. Penrith, may be able to attack well in other circumstances, but the Bulldogs can't so they should just stick to their strength and drop any forward who can't go forward in the tackle 95% of the time.

chemdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
needs to get more involved and play both sides of the field though I assume that's the bs structure we play which isnt working

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

It's definately a thing.

Weve begun.
JAC, Kikau and Crichton come from winner environments. Weve also got blokes like King, Kiraz and Reed that are first grade effort players. Xeri yet to be determined. Surely Gus buys more experience for 2024.
2 years ago we had Napa, no Gus and a coach not up to the task.
Its painful and will be for some time but we have definitely begun.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's definately a thing.

You are correct , look at the eels who have been mainstay of the 8 , brad Arthur made it his mission to get the hard men in the forwards from the get go and they went from perennial wooden spooners to top 8 team . That is why they tigers are actually well placed themselves , their pack is performing decently it’s been the backs that killed them.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

It's definately a thing.

Exactly, fully agree

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
KO just doesn't look like a half or 5/8 to me.
You can see attributes in halves regardless of what's happening around them. KO will be a great player but we need to move him being a ball playing 13 and work out who our half back is.
bbo is our halfback! Seriously there is no one available...but dont worry the NRL will be adding another team soon....we just cant find a fukin quality half back

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reality it started last year. Before that there was no rebuilding. Changing coaches by itself isnt rebuilding. We are still rebuilding. Our fb doesnt come till next year and we need more forwards
Yes I hope you’re right Dawg. Critter might solve our fullback problems and I’m fairly confident the club will bolster the forward pack. My biggest concerns are investing so heavily in our young halves. Will it pay off I don’t know.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yes I hope you’re right Dawg. Critter might solve our fullback problems and I’m fairly confident the club will bolster the forward pack. My biggest concerns are investing so heavily in our young halves. Will it pay off I don’t know.
Yeh its still something we have to see, with the halves. KO has not played much yet in a side being dominated up the middle (not his fault though), but shows promise. Hope he kicks on. But Burton. Well hes sure taking a long time to be a star signing. Starting to think he will be back in the centres at some point, the only place he has excelled before. Weird though, a centre with a kicking game

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
95% have not played I'll bet money on it.
I won’t lie I only ever played school football but have been heavily invested in the game because of this club, watch every game on tv since I was about 10 and go to as many games as I can.
My brother on the other hand played since he was 6 made junior rep
Teams but couldn’t give a shit about the game. Hardly watches a game and until Last year hardly been to any games.

My point is just because you played the game does not mean you know more then someone who maybe
Loves the game
More.