Opinion Karl Oloapu

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
They did a QnA on the bulldog players on insta and the said Flanagan is the biggest pest an ankle biter nipping at your heels all the time. :tearsofjoy:
If you think they said that because they don't love the 'gun, you don't understand how team cultures work, baby!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hi la familiars,

Does anyone remember Karl Filiga? Bulldogs junior. Was touted as the next SBW at one stage. It was Cronulla who won the bidding war on that occasion, and for all his hype, he ended up having a sparkling NRL career that amounted to 11 minutes of on field time. I mean, 11 minutes, fam. That's less time than it takes @Bulldogs09 to tie his shoelaces in the morning.

So, my question is thus - is there a chance the same fate could await the other young Karl you're all so excited about? I mean, think about it...in Karl Filiga's case, clubs were fighting over him like seagulls over a spilled pack of chips. Everyone wanted the young kid...they were all convinced he would be a superstar. In Karl Oloapu's case, the ensuing 'bidding war' consisted of two clubs - us and the Dolphins - a club which couldn't draw flies. Surely if the kid was as much of a sure thing as you all say, the Roosters would have got him.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he becomes an absolute superstar and he does appear to have the tools (although he looks like more of a running five eighth or lock than an organiser to me....too bulky for a halfback) I guess what I'm saying is, pour some cold water down your pants and don't put too much pressure on the kid. No junior is a sure thing, no matter how promising they are. The kid is 18 and already weighs 100kg, which means if it all goes pear shaped, there's a fair chance he may end up with cankles by the age of 25.
Another work of art

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi la familiars,

Does anyone remember Karl Filiga? Bulldogs junior. Was touted as the next SBW at one stage. It was Cronulla who won the bidding war on that occasion, and for all his hype, he ended up having a sparkling NRL career that amounted to 11 minutes of on field time. I mean, 11 minutes, fam. That's less time than it takes @Bulldogs09 to tie his shoelaces in the morning.

So, my question is thus - is there a chance the same fate could await the other young Karl you're all so excited about? I mean, think about it...in Karl Filiga's case, clubs were fighting over him like seagulls over a spilled pack of chips. Everyone wanted the young kid...they were all convinced he would be a superstar. In Karl Oloapu's case, the ensuing 'bidding war' consisted of two clubs - us and the Dolphins - a club which couldn't draw flies. Surely if the kid was as much of a sure thing as you all say, the Roosters would have got him.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he becomes an absolute superstar and he does appear to have the tools (although he looks like more of a running five eighth or lock than an organiser to me....too bulky for a halfback) I guess what I'm saying is, pour some cold water down your pants and don't put too much pressure on the kid. No junior is a sure thing, no matter how promising they are. The kid is 18 and already weighs 100kg, which means if it all goes pear shaped, there's a fair chance he may end up with cankles by the age of 25.
Applying pressure is probably a good way to avoid cankles.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mason said the kid's about 6'2, 100kgs and is likely still growing so might be more of a lock. I thought we bought him to be our 7

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mason said the kid's about 6'2, 100kgs and is likely still growing so might be more of a lock. I thought we bought him to be our 7
Fittler's 186cms or 6'1. Photo of KO and him taken other day suggests similar height...so adjusting for Fittler being barefoot it seems accurate.
What Mason said about him filling out with his heritage is f'n scary. Big hitting, skilful and fast off the mark. Could be a game changer.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
height doesnt restrict him playing half, weight and mobility yes.
A trait I find common in successful halfbacks is that they're stamina and mental awareness is on point all game, minimal errors, precise plays, plenty of talking, being nimble.
Fitness helps the mental part of the game and if the halfback is one of (if not the) fittest bloke on the pitch, then it's a big advantage. Some halfbacks have been massively successful whilst not being fitter than their counterparts but I hope our halves have got this area covered.
Hopefully the Bulldog regime he's put on get him fit as fuck if he really wants to play in the halves.
It'll help in the clutch plays.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he is good enough he is old enough.
If josh reynolds is fighting fit as they say he is, then he should be the 7 to partner burton
Ko on the bench
Game 1
Lets not phuck around and pray and hope the flange will change his ways.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
height doesnt restrict him playing half, weight and mobility yes.
What if he blows up like Schuster? Looks similar style of play although not a complete lazy **** in defence like Schuster.