Opinion Karl Oloapu

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There’s a couple of salty and intellectually challenged Broncos fans commenting on the instagram version of that video (all broncos fans are). I agree with most of what Beak mentions about Karl too. Can’t wait to see him break out.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no chance he plays first grade, but i think The Roosters are pretty short on depth.

Interestingly, the player from the Dogs who the Roosters boys have mentioned a few times as being really good is Iverson Matai.

Massive wraps pre covid, a little underwhelming last season i thought.

Know much about him?
I agree re Matai last year - underwhelming although it seemed there was rare opportunity for the halves to do anything as the ball rarely went further than a forward running one out. He has been good in trials this year - lots of touches of the ball - he and the lock Lanyon.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s a couple of salty and intellectually challenged Broncos fans commenting on the instagram version of that video (all broncos fans are). I agree with most of what Beak mentions about Karl too. Can’t wait to see him break out.
I listened to them talk about it on the bloke podcast. They mentioned the big things about his highlights was not so much his attack, but his defence and contact. He was folding kids. The big issue with a lot of kids is the defence aspect, and holding your own and the contact. If he seems to have that down Pat, let him start in NSW cup. With a look to potentially give him a run during origin when Burton is out. Who knows he could finish the season as our 7.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I listened to them talk about it on the bloke podcast. They mentioned the big things about his highlights was not so much his attack, but his defence and contact. He was folding kids. The big issue with a lot of kids is the defence aspect, and holding your own and the contact. If he seems to have that down Pat, let him start in NSW cup. With a look to potentially give him a run during origin when Burton is out. Who knows he could finish the season as our 7.
Yeah I heard that aswell, if he can fold cup players aswell I reckon he’s a huge shout to finish the year in the halves.
Gonna go give that Willy Mason pod a listen in my lunch break. Sounds like he’s already folding squad players.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I unignored u to reply lol
Imagine being up at midnight arguing some bullshit. Rent free? Kennel lives rent free in your little ice pipe head!

How is being satirical about how shit players are good any different to calling out shit players obvious flaws?

End of the day you're a big cry baby who got upset in front of the media over daddys name being invoked. Super cuck behavour. I'd that upsets you futher then I see a theme.

Every time u get corned u pull out the 2 cards lol. Newcastle game and MeNtAL HeAltH

Back on ignore now you're just a little crackhead.
You reply to my comments an awful lot for someone who apparently has me on ignore....lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hahaha you are a true legend against men flanagun. The fact a grown man has been able to keep up the act you do is admirable. Always enjoying the read whilst I sit on the can trying to pinch a loaf, baby.
Lol there is actually truth to what i say, though. None of my light hearted bagging of players is done with malice.... but some of my la familiars on this forum are really spiteful when they rip in...and often it's those members who rip into me the most, because I am a mirror, baby!

Thanks ,fam. Always nice to hear from people who enjoy what i do, as opposed to the hatters and wet bottoms. If I can make just one person's toilet time more enjoyable, it's all worthwhile.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
TBH, most people on here throw shit on Flanno because of you. Your over the top satirical support for him despite his lacklustre performances is the primary reason for any discussion on him.
Considering i developed this persona as a direct response to the level of vitriol that was being directed at him, I don't think that can be true, fam. But I do get your point that some do try to bag him out more in order to hurt me.... which is silly, because it's pretty obvious I am only fighting hyperbole with hyperbole...and I'm pretty hard to ruffle. I do sincerely think people are too hard on Flano, though. Fact is any young player is going to struggle to show their best at a club that has struggled as much as ours in recent years. I tried to make that point sincerely without being a smartass at first... and you know what happened? I got hammered for it. People on here don't like unpopular narratives, whether they are delivered with sincerity, or not.

Meeting hyperbole with hyperbole is all I'm doing with Karl Oloapu too, by the way. This place does have a habit of building players up and expecting them to move mountains from the get go, and then turning on them if things don't work out quite the way they imagined. If I'm being honest, of course I think Karl is a great prospect and I'm happy he signed here. But man, the kid really is coming here with a lot of pressure on his shoulders.... and it isn't me who will be hammering him over every mistake.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Karl will be playing Origin for Qld he just made the emerging under 19s squad.
All 3 boys that we just signed made it.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I heard that aswell, if he can fold cup players aswell I reckon he’s a huge shout to finish the year in the halves.
Gonna go give that Willy Mason pod a listen in my lunch break. Sounds like he’s already folding squad players.
Its a good listen especially when the boys were doing a tackling session and Big Willie said who the feck was that and looked at Ciro who had a big smile on his face. :D

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Thoughts on KO playing centre? I can see him player centre this year and then maybe halves next?

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broncos supporters are as bad as their management team. They let Walsh go (brought him back for a lot more), let this kid go, signed that Piakua (spelling) bloke we were chasing for like 500k a year and he hasn't played grade yet. Let Dearden walk for nothing and he ends up playing Origin.

Seriously all I heard last year (from Fox 360) was that Ikin is the best administrator in footy. Bla bla bla.. well look at all the players he has let go and now probably going to lose Payne Haas eventually. They want to slam Gus for nothing and talk shit about him, look at all the good Gus has done.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thoughts on KO playing centre? I can see him player centre this year and then maybe halves next?
I think he can do it. He has great footwork and speed, also a great defender. Only thing that I don't like about that is if he's going to play in the halves I am a firm believer that you should put him in the halves from the get go.

I am not saying his career will be anything like Ben Roberts, but I remember how awesome Ben was in juniors and in reggies, he cracked first grade in the centres for a year or 2 before moving to his preferred position. I believe that stifled his development in first grade a little. We eventually saw what he could do in 2009 though. I reckon they just throw Karl in the halves from his debut and be patient with his development. Or off the bench, but when he comes on he plays the halves - Just my opinion.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think he will play Flegg first for a few weeks then Cup before playing first grade.
I think if he was playing Flegg he would be trialing in Toowoomba this weekend with the rest of the boys.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if he was playing Flegg he would be trialing in Toowoomba this weekend with the rest of the boys.
Is it just flegg this weekend? I thought I read somewhere the cup boys were having a run also, but haven’t seen any team lists anywhere.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is it just flegg this weekend? I thought I read somewhere the cup boys were having a run also, but haven’t seen any team lists anywhere.
Both. Team lists are on the Dogs site.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
ponga is not a bad player?
In attack yes, defensively no. Most of the time Ponga is a turnstyle. Adam O‘brien will need to think carefully who to put inside him in the defensive line, because there is no doubt he will get targeted.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
does anyone know if it is being streamed?