Opinion Karl Oloapu

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan has been training down the house apparently and is winning most of the fitness drills/ mod games and no doubt starts at 7 as has done the lions share of reps

But, this signing the fact we paid a transfer fee and went through all this effort to sign this kid (straight into top 30) does not bode well for Flanno

Last chance saloon

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Flanagan has been training down the house apparently and is winning most of the fitness drills/ mod games and no doubt starts at 7 as has done the lions share of reps

But, this signing the fact we paid a transfer fee and went through all this effort to sign this kid (straight into top 30) does not bode well for Flanno

Last chance saloon
Flanagan has always trained well and done the basics, he just completely shits the bed in the NRL because he can't handle the pace and think on his feet.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan has always trained well and done the basics, he just completely shits the bed in the NRL because he can't handle the pace and think on his feet.
A mate said to me today “he might good with a simplified plan for him “

I was like how much do they need to simplify it for this guy ffs

He’s just not FG standards “baby”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A mate said to me today “he might good with a simplified plan for him “

I was like how much do they need to simplify it for this guy ffs

He’s just not FG standards “baby”
He's just overly structured and he came through at a time when the game was starting to move away from those type of halves. It's why Rooster got him as a Cronk replacement, thought he could bring the control like Cronk but like I said he struggled with the pace of the game and couldn't really step out of structure.

It will be interesting to see what happens, hopefully he improves because we can't have him wasting all that strike at right centre... :sob:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's just overly structured and he came through at a time when the game was starting to move away from those type of halves. It's why Rooster got him as a Cronk replacement, thought he could bring the control like Cronk but like I said he struggled with the pace of the game and couldn't really step out of structure.

It will be interesting to see what happens, hopefully he improves because we can't have him wasting all that strike at right centre... :sob:
I’m not picking any right edge players for us in SC that’s for sure

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’m not picking any right edge players for us in SC that’s for sure
We will be relying on RFM or Kiraz offloads and Jake going the distance for tries lol

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Last chance saloon
I think last chance saloon has passed him by.
Like you mentioned bringing this kid straight in speaks volumes big time.
His father is smart enough to work out what’s going on and will be advising accordingly.
Plan B for Flano might come around quite soon.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
500k is a big transfer fee for a half that has not played fg. So there must be a reason.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching his highlights. He’s a lot bigger than everyone else, his attack looks good he has great vision and anticipation for an 18 year old but the most impressive thing is his defence. He monsters blokes. I know he’s a half but judging by his size and defence he could easily play a ball playing lock for us long term.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
After watching that I'm beginning to feel like the karma of losing Thurston has done a one eighty.
Took a while but I'm still here to enjoy it now. Hope he has an injury free season so we can get a good look at him. I'm starting to get excited!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I tend to agree. I don’t think anyone here has ever criticised Flanagans fitness. He clearly is a very fit man. He’s just not an nrl halfback.
Good defensively and supports the play but you need a half doing more than that. His kicking game is way off where it needs to be, hopefully this year we see an improvement.

if, however, Oalapu gets a shot at some point, looking forward to seeing what he can do - perhaps we landed on a superstar?? Soon find out as the season unfolds