Opinion Karl Oloapu

Jonboi

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
God damn I had been reading the kennel for years before I started posting so I know how many lounge coaches are in here as well as probable drug addicts.
But ffs Karl is less than a handful of games into his nrl career in a roughly bog average struggling team and the kennel rips him to pieces he’s still a 2-3 year project. Gould quoted as saying that rugby league gives up on kids too early so bare that in mind. He will be someone guys just be patient.

posting here since apparently making a new thread is crime in kennel land.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why is Oloapu even being discussed? He's 3 games in, been playing behind a beaten pack.
Give him the rest of the season (at least) to find his feet.
The kid ain't in the top 10 problems (if he is even a problem) the team/club has in front of it.
Geez

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My only concern with Oloapu is he’ll be playing behind a badly beaten forward pack most games. That’s a tough initiation, doesn’t matter how talented he is.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Didn’t take long for people to shit on him. He’s a kid playing in a side that gets dominated through the middle.
It just shows some people’s footy iq (lack thereof) that they want to throw an 18 year old 3 game rookie under the bus

And before Flanagun arks up

Pop gun had a FG right in front 10m out to win the game for Cup and he choked on a giant acorn

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won’t lie I only ever played school football but have been heavily invested in the game because of this club, watch every game on tv since I was about 10 and go to as many games as I can.
My brother on the other hand played since he was 6 made junior rep
Teams but couldn’t give a shit about the game. Hardly watches a game and until Last year hardly been to any games.

My point is just because you played the game does not mean you know more then someone who maybe
Loves the game
More.
True, but you will never know the emotions and anxiety and the quick reactions and pressure you’re under of game day. I understand that you watch it religiously. But as the saying goes the best education is experience. You can watch all the games you want but until you’re on the battlefield you don’t know the 1 million emotions that run through your body. People like yourself who watch religiously make great so to say scouts and assistants in the coaching staff. But ultimately this day and age you need a coach that’s been in the trenches that can relate on the level of the player.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Been saying for years there seems to be an inherent Loser mentality at the club that seeps it's way into the playing group, no matter the coach or players.

It's definately a thing.

We haven't recruited the right players to overcome this. We needed competent 100% effort players first and foremost to eradicate the Loser mentality.

Instead we got inexperienced, or low skilled, follower, "project" type players, or vacuous low effort show ponies, instead of all effort leaders who drag out and demand high performance.

You only have to look at Phins to see the blueprint of the type of forward pack that needs to be cobbled together to give you a platform to allow a solid base to work off.

One or 2 of the vacuous low effort show ponies could work in that pack bc they have the mix right.

Gus needs to find us the right players and get rid of the low effort, mistake riddled unreliable players....gonna take a few more years yet of blending them bc we dont gave Bennett to gell it all together.
You are right with recruitment in the forwards has been poor and a Thommo and TPJ are big money failures that Gus would never of signed off on. The phins have most of their salary cap in the forwards and the narrative that they are somehow a bunch of unwanted misfits is rubbish. First choice pack is amongst the best in the comp.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You are right with recruitment in the forwards has been poor and a Thommo and TPJ are big money failures that Gus would never of signed off on. The phins have most of their salary cap in the forwards and the narrative that they are somehow a bunch of unwanted misfits is rubbish. First choice pack is amongst the best in the comp.
Very true. Compiled very shrewdly and with a footballing brain as to what is 100% needed. Their recruitment strategy has been first class and they are well coached at present with Bennett. How Wolfe goes is TBA.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Wolfe will be a good fit for them. Coaches the poly boys well snd Bennett has created a great culture there. Katoa looks the goods too. The form of Lemuelu is the surprise. He has been great to compliment a pack of the Bromwich bros, Fus and Gilbert. Wallace, Nicholls and Faamsusili have been strong too. Bulldogs could only dream of this forward depth

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won’t lie I only ever played school football but have been heavily invested in the game because of this club, watch every game on tv since I was about 10 and go to as many games as I can.
My brother on the other hand played since he was 6 made junior rep
Teams but couldn’t give a shit about the game. Hardly watches a game and until Last year hardly been to any games.

My point is just because you played the game does not mean you know more then someone who maybe
Loves the game
More.
Agree with your post but alot on here death riding the kid after his second game. I never played league I was too small and too greek for the game growing up in the country.

Just a bit harsh some folks are on here.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
True, but you will never know the emotions and anxiety and the quick reactions and pressure you’re under of game day. I understand that you watch it religiously. But as the saying goes the best education is experience. You can watch all the games you want but until you’re on the battlefield you don’t know the 1 million emotions that run through your body. People like yourself who watch religiously make great so to say scouts and assistants in the coaching staff. But ultimately this day and age you need a coach that’s been in the trenches that can relate on the level of the player.
Ive played other sports like soccer i would say that is the same sort of pressure
No?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is Oloapu even being discussed? He's 3 games in, been playing behind a beaten pack.
Give him the rest of the season (at least) to find his feet.
The kid ain't in the top 10 problems (if he is even a problem) the team/club has in front of it.
Geez
The same people having a cry and whinge about Ciraldo not naming whoever is the new saviour from NSW Cup are the first to criticise young players if they don’t come out and play like Sonny Bill straight away

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Shout out to Oloapu's defence today. He put on some huge shots, did a solid job on Fifita and played with more confidence in attack. He's got a lot to work on but he's showing some great signs.

I'm sure the usual clowns will nit pick and write his career off already though.