Kalyn Ponga head knocks

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL 360
"Theres nowhere in the modern game a player can hide and escape potential head knocks"
"He needs to take some time off and I think Newcastle will do that"
"Needs to reevaluate how he tackles" - Anasta

Problem with concussions is at a neuron level. It's something I've got a personal interest in (neuroscience), but rather than try to explain it this article (whilst long) explains it in laymans terms brilliantly.

It shows why concussion is such a serious thing, and this is probably one of the best articles I've seen written on the subject.

Theres a video (Ted Talk) that goes for 15 minutes in the article if people want to fast track some it, but honestly it's a brilliant read and the analogies are simple to understand (like the battery losing charge with each recharge).

Last edited:

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The guy got concussed again and will miss the next round and possibly more after suffering yet another head knock. 4th concussion in 10 months.

Should the Knights just agree to part ways with him? He's their highest paid player but they aren't getting their value for money.

There are already concerns about his long term future. Maybe he should go to Union and hang out on the wing to prolong his career?
He’ll be medically retired within the next year and take home his full contract money outside of the salary cap. He’s extremely lucky he signed that huge deal last year or nobody would touch him

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope he is quietly being set up for a life beyond footy, like further studies etc. It would be pretty hard to only have a focus as a kid to becoming a professional athlete and then having it snatch away just as you're getting started. I think moving to 5/8th hasn't helped, but even with adjustments to technique etc, some people are just more susceptible than others.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's got a glass head now. Same thing with Pucovski (cricketer and supposed next big thing). Its an interesting case - we'll see how serious the Nrl is about player welfare.
So really there isn't any protection against concussion apart from good technique?
Yeah I thought of poor Will too, I believe his most recent concussion occurred while the Victorian team were messing about with a volleyball during training, the ball has hit him in the face and that was it, full on concussion symptoms. I don't think we'll see him play Test cricket again, opposition will target his head because even some whiplash could end his game. Everyone is different in this regard. If you can take a bit of a knock to the head and not get symptoms, consider yourself fortunate.

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he gets any more headknocks he will end up like a well known poster on this forum.
BLOCKED.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yeah I thought of poor Will too, I believe his most recent concussion occurred while the Victorian team were messing about with a volleyball during training, the ball has hit him in the face and that was it, full on concussion symptoms. I don't think we'll see him play Test cricket again, opposition will target his head because even some whiplash could end his game. Everyone is different in this regard. If you can take a bit of a knock to the head and not get symptoms, consider yourself fortunate.
This then moves into the old Ian Chappell argument, modern techniques have too many batsman lining up the short ball. No stepping inside or staying outside, its all front and back now. But thats a debate for another thread.

But yeah - a volleyball? Fck - then its pretty black and white.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This then moves into the old Ian Chappell argument, modern techniques have too many batsman lining up the short ball. No stepping inside or staying outside, its all front and back now. But thats a debate for another thread.

But yeah - a volleyball? Fck - then its pretty black and white.
He basically has the opposite of Homer Simpson syndrome.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
NRL has made the law that anyone who fails a HIA will not be able to play for 11 days.

Players will miss Origin & finals games because of this law.