Justin Holbrook

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holbrook is a far better coach than most on here think.

Most of the top players past and present will tell you that at some point the players need to be held responsible.

Holbrook actually brought the Titans from the wooden spoon to make the Final 8 last year and I know of a past NRL player who won a GF here and has also won a Super League Title as well and he said Holbrook is the best coach he's played under.

I'm still in the Potter camp long term but if things don't improve for us by years end and Holbrook does become available he'd be a LOT better coach for us than many other talked about candidates as he's from the area and only needs a decent playing roster to be successful.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Most of the top players past and present will tell you that at some point the players need to be held responsible.

Holbrook actually brought the Titans from the wooden spoon to make the Final 8 last year and I know of a past NRL player who won a GF here and has also won a Super League Title as well and he said Holbrook is the best coach he's played under.

I'm still in the Potter camp long term but if things don't improve for us by years end and Holbrook does become available he'd be a LOT better coach for us than many other talked about candidates as he's from the area and only needs a decent playing roster to be successful.
Tbaz is the best coach some have played under

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Makes me think are we getting a coach thats a current nrl coach,announced after that teams year is done ?
Or after origin, i hope not!

It wont be

Holbrook
Hasler ….thank fuck
Payeten
Walters
Fitzgibbon
Cleary
Warriors new coach
DEmetriou
Bennett
Kimmorley

could it be
Authur?
Stuart?
Robinson?
Bellamy?
Bellamy 2024 end goal with Potter for 23 season is what I’d go for. Potters coaching has grown on me, seems to have the boys playing what’s in front of them and for the first time in years players seem to be improving and showing consistency.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

With all due respect you don’t know any better than anyone else on here re coaches. Holbrook didn’t take the same side who won the spoon to top 8. He took an improved roster to the top 8.

Kevin Moore took a wooden spoon side to a top 2 finish the next year. Didn’t make him a great coach. He just got a better roster.

Josh Jackson will tell anyone who wants to listen that Baz is the best coach he has ever had. Des shits all over Baz as a coach but some players connect better with certain coaches.

The titans don’t have the worst roster in the comp. Far from it. Yet they are coming last.

Unless he keeps his job and they improve rapidly this year it would be a huge surprise to see him get a first grade coaching job in the next few years

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bellamy 2024 end goal with Potter for 23 season is what I’d go for. Potters coaching has grown on me, seems to have the boys playing what’s in front of them and for the first time in years players seem to be improving and showing consistency.
Bellamy ????

In what world is he coaching us ffs

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect you don’t know any better than anyone else on here re coaches. Holbrook didn’t take the same side who won the spoon to top 8. He took an improved roster to the top 8.

Kevin Moore took a wooden spoon side to a top 2 finish the next year. Didn’t make him a great coach. He just got a better roster.

Josh Jackson will tell anyone who wants to listen that Baz is the best coach he has ever had. Des shits all over Baz as a coach but some players connect better with certain coaches.

The titans don’t have the worst roster in the comp. Far from it. Yet they are coming last.

Unless he keeps his job and they improve rapidly this year it would be a huge surprise to see him get a first grade coaching job in the next few years

"With all due respect you don’t know any better than anyone else on here re coaches. Holbrook didn’t take the same side who won the spoon to top 8. He took an improved roster to the top 8"

Well with all due respect with a reply like that I'd say I know a bit more than you do about coaches.

Holbrook was appointed to the Titans after they finished with the spoon in 2019 after having a remarkable term with St Helens where he finished with an 80% winning strike rate for that club in the ESL.

Lachlan Coote who played under him and had previously played for the Roosters and won a competition with the Cowboys said Holbrook was the best coach he has every played under.

2008 was another horror year for the Bulldogs with a lot of in fighting and Folkes retiring. SBW left without notice and the injuries kept piling up throughout the year. It was toxic and needed a change and the club appointed Kevin Moore for the 2009 season for a fresh start and that's exactly what happens to any club after they've reached rock bottom they have to draw a line in the sand and start afresh which they did with the signings of Kimmorley, Josh Morris, Ennis, Stagg and Hannant. This was the first year Kevin Moore had coached at First Grade Level. Holbrook had a number of years experience in the ESL and successfully.

After that season in 2010 the Bulldogs dropped to 13th place and in 2011 finished 9th after Kevin Moore had stood down as coach in mid July after poor results.

As I said in another thread Gold Coast is a holiday destination not a Rugby League stronghold and if Wally Lewis couldn't improve them back in the early '90's no one would. They poach players from other clubs that are past their best at over their true value and sign one or two marquee players, like they did with Fifita in 2020 on huge money and that's not going to win you premierships when you don't have a strong junior base like many of the other clubs do. Great spot for anyone to live in, especially when you're being paid big money to do so but that doesn't bring you success.

As for Jackson saying TB is the best coach he has ever had, of course he says that about everyone. He's never going to come out and say he's crap. Which he was. He took us further back than Pay with a better squad!

Holbrook would prove to be a far better coach at a stronger club than the Titans and while I'm not saying he's my first choice coach for us, I hope Potter is for the short term, I would prefer Holbrook a lot more than a number of others mentioned who don't have any affiliation with the club.

At least Holbrook is from the area and knows it better than most.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

"With all due respect you don’t know any better than anyone else on here re coaches. Holbrook didn’t take the same side who won the spoon to top 8. He took an improved roster to the top 8"

Well with all due respect with a reply like that I'd say I know a bit more than you do about coaches.

Holbrook was appointed to the Titans after they finished with the spoon in 2019 after having a remarkable term with St Helens where he finished with an 80% winning strike rate for that club in the ESL.

Lachlan Coote who played under him and had previously played for the Roosters and won a competition with the Cowboys said Holbrook was the best coach he has every played under.

2008 was another horror year for the Bulldogs with a lot of in fighting and Folkes retiring. SBW left without notice and the injuries kept piling up throughout the year. It was toxic and needed a change and the club appointed Kevin Moore for the 2009 season for a fresh start and that's exactly what happens to any club after they've reached rock bottom they have to draw a line in the sand and start afresh which they did with the signings of Kimmorley, Josh Morris, Ennis, Stagg and Hannant. This was the first year Kevin Moore had coached at First Grade Level. Holbrook had a number of years experience in the ESL and successfully.

After that season in 2010 the Bulldogs dropped to 13th place and in 2011 finished 9th after Kevin Moore had stood down as coach in mid July after poor results.

As I said in another thread Gold Coast is a holiday destination not a Rugby League stronghold and if Wally Lewis couldn't improve them back in the early '90's no one would. They poach players from other clubs that are past their best at over their true value and sign one or two marquee players, like they did with Fifita in 2020 on huge money and that's not going to win you premierships when you don't have a strong junior base like many of the other clubs do. Great spot for anyone to live in, especially when you're being paid big money to do so but that doesn't bring you success.

As for Jackson saying TB is the best coach he has ever had, of course he says that about everyone. He's never going to come out and say he's crap. Which he was. He took us further back than Pay with a better squad!

Holbrook would prove to be a far better coach at a stronger club than the Titans and while I'm not saying he's my first choice coach for us, I hope Potter is for the short term, I would prefer Holbrook a lot more than a number of others mentioned who don't have any affiliation with the club.

At least Holbrook is from the area and knows it better than most.
I like this...With all due respects :tearsofjoy:
On a serious note thought...No mater which coach is signed there will always be an element of risk even if it is Bellamy.
Will it be Holbrook ?
The answer is for another day :-)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like this...With all due respects :tearsofjoy:
On a serious note thought...No mater which coach is signed there will always be an element of risk even if it is Bellamy.
Will it be Holbrook ?
The answer is for another day :-)
It's Holbrook, i have the book and checked the answers on the back page.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim Dymock has been ‘sacked’ from the titans. first domino in our coaching plan?

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Jim Dymock has been ‘sacked’ from the titans. first domino in our coaching plan?
He was the defensive coach, and from what we saw of the Titans, it seems he skipped sessions. Obviously they need someone with a better eye for detail. I'm not sure we would touch him with a 10 foot pole. New coach will make those decisions in consultation with Gus.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Wasn't Lynne Anderson on the board at the Titans before her and stooges tried to bring down the dogs from the inside?
Still banging on about the same thing.
Obsessed @El Padrino :tearsofjoy:.

The truth with the Titans is, just as with the Knights and Tigers, the NRL took control of the club and subsequently got 3 board seats. 3 directors voluntarily made way to accomodate the change courtesy of other commitments.

Stop being so salty because your Uncle Ray got the arse for stuffing up the Dogs cap and roster. Move on champ, there’s a big world out there! :-)

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they hire this bloke as our head coach, this would prove our club has lost the plot. I don’t even think they would consider taking a risk with him.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
If they hire this bloke as our head coach, this would prove our club has lost the plot. I don’t even think they would consider taking a risk with him.
It just proves that the club's leadership stinks. Same problem at the Tigers. Doesn't matter who you get in. For the Titans they need to get rid of Meniga. I'm sure there are a few others that need a tap on the shoulder to get the right pathways in. Cause the talent is there and they have a factory line of top juniors coming through.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Looks like he’s taking them back to the wooden spoon this season

One win past 12 …very Dogs like under Baz

Ouch