Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is this not a rumour Dave?

Your slipping mate, up your game.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters, Storm, Panthers, Rabbitohs, Eels and Knights (Brailey going down was massive, also Best) all have a better roster than them still. Manly will also do better if Trbojevic can play at least 2/3 of the season. They're fighting for that last eighth spot between Tigers and Sharks. Dragons (probably not) and Cowboys (their new coach did a terrific job with the Warriors) could also both be a lot better next year. I think they'll finish 8th-10th. I wouldn't be expecting the eight if I was the Titans but it's definitely possible, they need a top hooker.
IMO there will be expectations of the top 8 as minimum with the recruitment drive they have just undertaken.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after watching the Titans anybody else wishing we had Holbrook as coach? Their defence still sucks but they can score on anybody

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
So after watching the Titans anybody else wishing we had Holbrook as coach? Their defence still sucks but they can score on anybody
We definitely missed the boat. He appears to be a proper coach because he can get the best out of his team. Barrett is VERY lucky, he was given a war chest to spend. It’s now on him to show us if he can coach.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We definitely missed the boat. He appears to be a proper coach because he can get the best out of his team. Barrett is VERY lucky, he was given a war chest to spend. It’s now on him to show us if he can coach.
Until this year we haven't had the roster/talent to be comparing Holbrook to Baz imo (completely different situations and most people judge by results). They still have a better roster but it isn't as significant as previous years.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who cares? With the roster they have including probably one of the best packs in the comp they will probably only win 50% of thier games if they are lucky.

Holbrook reminds me of Barrett. Absolutely no interest in defence at all. The titans cannot defend thier line to save their lives. When they play the likes of Melbourne, Roosters and Penrith etc they will be butt raped.

Holbrook is a myth.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty much right on the last bit on Barrett having to show what he's capable of now. But in all honesty if we'd spent a million plus on a forward as the rumours indicate Holbrook did, I'd have been very worried. I know that a coach like Hasler can keep a team performing to a decent level, but he relies on a few stars in key positions to create everything. I honestly haven't followed the Titans, but I don't hear a lot of talk about them being a finals threat often since Holbrook went there.

Let's just wait and see what the team achieves over the next month and a half. Should be enough time to establish themselves as a team.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's amazing what can be achieved when you have the personnel.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares? With the roster they have including probably one of the best packs in the comp they will probably only win 50% of thier games if they are lucky.

Holbrook reminds me of Barrett. Absolutely no interest in defence at all. The titans cannot defend thier line to save their lives. When they play the likes of Melbourne, Roosters and Penrith etc they will be butt raped.

Holbrook is a myth.
So you usually comment on things you don’t care about? Nice to know!
Our attack has sucked for half a decade and there’s a guy who seems to be able to train that into his team is worth talking about

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So you usually comment on things you don’t care about? Nice to know!
Our attack has sucked for half a decade and there’s a guy who seems to be able to train that into his team is worth talking about
Has he trained that into them or is their roster of quality players just playing some footy? Defence wins games consistently and comps. If Holbrook had them consistently conceding 15 points or less per game you would have a point.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has he trained that into them or is their roster of quality players just playing some footy? Defence wins games consistently and comps. If Holbrook had them consistently conceding 15 points or less per game you would have a point.
Well he’s responsible for their performance both positive and negative. So you can’t discredit him for their attack and then blame him for their lack of defence. I also said many times that their defence sucks. Conceding 15 pts or less a game is something a premiership winning team does and nobody is saying the Titans are at that level

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well he’s responsible for their performance both positive and negative. So you can’t discredit him for their attack and then blame him for their lack of defence. I also said many times that their defence sucks. Conceding 15 pts or less a game is something a premiership winning team does and nobody is saying the Titans are at that level
Ok I will answer your original question with the correct answer.

No.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add Fitzgibbon to the "Better than Barrett" list :laughing:

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's amazing what can be achieved when you have the personnel.
Can’t remember who said it (Sheens??) but ‘if you want to be known as a good coach, surround yourself with good players’

Dogs&Cats

Waterboy
Reaction score
I wouldn’t compare Holbrook and Pay at all. Pay really didn’t have enough first team coaching experience and it was obvious he wasn’t going to get the job done.
The Titans look dangerous and with the additions they have for next year there’s no reason why they won’t make the 8.
Based on previous readings about Dean Pay I’m going to get smashed here, but in my opinion, Dean Pay was brought in as the rugby league equivalent of a ‘night watchman’ coach. He was stop-gap coach used to fill in the years that the Bulldogs were heavily encumbranced due to past administrations. They were always going to be bad years whether they had Bellamy, Bennett, Gibson, and/or bloody Jesus Christ as the coach. The advantage of Dean Pay was that he didn’t cost them very much. What he acheived, with those squads, surpasses anything Barrett as done so far. I do hope Barrett proves to be the correct candidate, but I also think it’s pretty weak he wasn’t given any of the chances Barrett has been afforded. But that was never the purpose set out for him.…. Do you darndest. (Oh, I got of track- Justin Holbrook is a better rugby league coach than Trent Barrett)