Josh Reynolds 'sick in the stomach' over prospect of leaving Canterbury Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Josh Reynolds says he feels "sick in the stomach" at the prospect of being squeezed out of his beloved Bulldogs, admitting Thursday night's win against Brisbane was a reminder to himself of why he belongs in the blue and white.

After what he described as a "soul-searching week", Reynolds answered the call after heavy criticism following his team's dismal showing against Manly in the 36-0 drubbing in round four.

Reynolds was one of Canterbury's best in the gutsy 10-7 win over the Broncos at ANZ Stadium on Thursday night, conceding it was his desire to prove to himself he was still worthy of the Bulldogs' No.6 jersey that inspired the performance.

"It was a soul-searching week. To be flogged like that against a team that we thought we had their measure, it was a big wake-up call," Reynolds said following the victory against Brisbane.

"I don't think we've ever had a loss like that in the five or six years we've been together as a core group. There were some pretty white faces going into training on Monday. But it shows we've still got it. It really does. You can say you want to go out there and prove people wrong, prove your doubters wrong, but really you just have to prove to yourself that you've still got it.

"Honestly. That's what I was doing all week. I was copping it. A couple of other boys were copping it. I just said, you know what, I was watching a couple of things from the last couple of years and it's the same core guys that have come up with massive plays to get us where we were. That was a big thing for me. I had to go searching a bit to make sure I could still play the game."

Advertisement

The future of the former State of Origin-winning five-eighth remains up in the air as Canterbury weigh up the direction they will head in 2018.

The off-contract Reynolds grew up in the area and has no desire to leave the Bulldogs, admitting it was difficult to fathom the idea of donning a rival club jersey.

"Honestly mate, it is hard for me to think that," Reynolds said.

"It really is. It makes me a bit sick in the stomach. I don't want to comment too much on that at the moment because I'm not 100 per cent on what's going on.

"I'm letting my manager do everything. But I love the club, mate. Let's be honest. I was born there. Nights like this make me realise that I think I suit the club."

Reynolds has long been trying to contain his emotions on the field after a career marred by brain explosions. However there was little he could do to contain his passion on an important night for the club.

"It's funny, when they were setting up for that field goal on the last before half-time, I wanted to just run up, run out of the line and get [Jordan] Kahu but Jacko [Josh Jackson] said 'mate, don't you dare'," Reynolds said.

"For me, that was the old me. I could've come out of the line, they could've played and scored a try. But it's good someone like Jacko can say to me, just relax. Even though my intentions are right, it's probably not the right option at the time. So it's about controlling my emotion and using it at the right time."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ving-canterbury-bulldogs-20170331-gvatn8.html

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know I give it to the guy on here a fair bit but bloody hell its hard to fault his energy and passion for the club. If only the other 16 playing every week had the same attitude and commitment.

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Jackson has to babysit him on the field lol.
And this what kills me about him ... he is 28 now and he still has to be told not to shoot out the defensive line to potentially cost the team a try. When will he learn.

Before I get blasted I'm usually the first person to praise his attitude and energy and when he tries something and it doesn't come off, il give him a clap because he seems to be the only one in the side that wants to win instead of setting up for Tolman on 4th.

But something so simple that by his age he should know by now goes out the window because he is always looking for the "big play". That's why we need Frawley with him. On the 5th tackle, josh might see the possibility of throwing a 45m cut out pass with the wingers maybe have a 2% of catching it, Frawley will roll the ball in and get a repeat set.

He is the most frustrating player to watch

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be sad to see Josh go. Moses needs to go. He offers nothing in terms of his on field performances, and does nothing to inspire the boys around him. He's just an overpaid overrated average footballer.

I do however agree that Josh and his manager need to reevaluate his asking price.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm happy to keep him if he changes his value. He has to be realistic about it. He's not blessed with skill and he's not an organiser who gets us around the park. He is either a 6 ONLY with a genuine half next to him or a number 14. He's not built up enough not has the passing game for hooker. 300 a 350 k max with salary cap increase. Unfortunately for him....

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
And this what kills me about him ... he is 28 now and he still has to be told not to shoot out the defensive line to potentially cost the team a try. When will he learn.

Before I get blasted I'm usually the first person to praise his attitude and energy and when he tries something and it doesn't come off, il give him a clap because he seems to be the only one in the side that wants to win instead of setting up for Tolman on 4th.

But something so simple that by his age he should know by now goes out the window because he is always looking for the "big play". That's why we need Frawley with him. On the 5th tackle, josh might see the possibility of throwing a 45m cut out pass with the wingers maybe have a 2% of catching it, Frawley will roll the ball in and get a repeat set.

He is the most frustrating player to watch
Like I've said previously, heart of lion brain the size of a pea. And unfortunately it will continue to coat us

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm happy to keep him if he changes his value. He has to be realistic about it. He's not blessed with skill and he's not an organiser who gets us around the park. He is either a 6 ONLY with a genuine half next to him or a number 14. He's not built up enough not has the passing game for hooker. 300 a 350 k max with salary cap increase. Unfortunately for him....
Mate, get your head out of the clouds, theyre talking $9.5mil cap with a min wage of $120k and an average of $350k.
Honesty is a rare thing in this day and age, and reynolds shows this in spades. But people jump on it and give him a hard time. Yeah i mean people like you @marley/gotenks/whatever. The guy busts his ass and was definitely one of our best against the broncs, yet still cops it.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Like his energy, but brain snaps still happen and have happened for years (already had one meltdown this year) and every year we hear how he's going to grow up, unfortunately I think he never will & love his energy as much as I do you really can't afford his brain snaps in the NRL when they happen every time he's under pressure

Also $800,000 per season no way, I think there has been very little interest from other clubs and he's hoping to guilt the club in to a contract

If the dud Mbye wasn't tied to us until 2020 I'd say offer Reynolds $450,000 a year and punt Mbye we need another half and we can't have 3 all on big coin

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What makes me sad is that there will be posters in here bagging the crap out of Reynolds today who in other threads have said they hope we fail this year so we can get rid of our coach and board because they think they have a clue about what it takes to make the team successful.

I'm a fan. I love the fact that Reynolds gives 100% to achieve what I can only hope to see from my couch or a seat in the stadium. For me if it means cheering this guy on whole heartedly despite his (decreased) brain snaps I'll do that. I don't even recall him doing anything much last season that qualifies as a brain snap but others just won't forget that for a couple of seasons he was doing it regularly.

Other clubs will be looking at Josh and calculating if having an inspirational fellow in their squad who couldn't define what giving up means is worth the price tag the media has reported. It would kill me inside to see Reynolds play against us. I think people underestimate his talent by a lot too. Brad Morrin was also a player who gave 100% every game in a position where skill wasn't as important as just being fit and strong and he didn't have the skill or vision to establish himself at the top level.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I honestly think the best thing to do is do a trial this year with Mbye and JR at 5/8 with Frawley to see who is the best fit. Give them both a crack so we know either way.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, get your head out of the clouds, theyre talking $9.5mil cap with a min wage of $120k and an average of $350k.
Honesty is a rare thing in this day and age, and reynolds shows this in spades. But people jump on it and give him a hard time. Yeah i mean people like you @marley/gotenks/whatever. The guy busts his ass and was definitely one of our best against the broncs, yet still cops it.
Head in the clouds?? He has proven he can not win a comp as a player in a key position - twice! He is the only common denominator in both GF loses to play in our halves. Fact!

I've followed this club for 40 years champ and I've seen a lot of players with passion and let me tell you Josh Reynolds could stand side by side with any of these guys and not look out of place. I love the guy, but facts are facts. He can't steer us to win a comp and hence, does not justify his asking price.

If your happy to see us continue to stumble into the top 8, maybe make. GF day or 2, but not have the big time player to win the thing in the halves, then good luck to you. Not good enough for me mate, as a dogs fan I want and expect comps!

Thanks for telling me I have no idea though...

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This forum is so funny.
All people talk about are "brain snaps".
How many times has he won a game for us? Manly last year (chasing a kick that nobody else would), manly the year before (pulling that penalty) and I am sure he has kicked a few field goals in golden point.
Then people on here go on and on another how players don't have any "pride" and have "pea hearts". Here is someone who has all of that yet he is the problem. I don't care where he plays but he should be in the team.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This forum is so funny.
All people talk about are "brain snaps".
How many times has he won a game for us? Manly last year (chasing a kick that nobody else would), manly the year before (pulling that penalty) and I am sure he has kicked a few field goals in golden point.
Then people on here go on and on another how players don't have any "pride" and have "pea hearts". Here is someone who has all of that yet he is the problem. I don't care where he plays but he should be in the team.
I don't think anyone questions he can win us a game. He's good like that and I hope we keep him. The question is can he win us a comp and you need to ask yourself honestly if you think he can or not. If the answer is no, then he does not justify 800k.
I agree, he should be in the team somewhere.

Reactions: GDR

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I hope he retires with us. To be fair to him hes been one of our best in more than one match this year (was the only one to get through storms defence) and he hasnt had any brain explosions for some time.

His enthusiasm can lift the team. He never gives up. Every team needs a player like that.

He also proved he goes better with a proper halfback in the side.

Just keep it up Josh, i also dont want to see u in another clubs jersey

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why does he always have to have a passion game the week we all want him gone

Sherlock Holmes

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Head in the clouds?? He has proven he can not win a comp as a player in a key position - twice! He is the only common denominator in both GF loses to play in our halves. Fact!

I've followed this club for 40 years champ and I've seen a lot of players with passion and let me tell you Josh Reynolds could stand side by side with any of these guys and not look out of place. I love the guy, but facts are facts. He can't steer us to win a comp and hence, does not justify his asking price.

If your happy to see us continue to stumble into the top 8, maybe make. GF day or 2, but not have the big time player to win the thing in the halves, then good luck to you. Not good enough for me mate, as a dogs fan I want and expect comps!

Thanks for telling me I have no idea though...
Sorry mate but if you think Reynolds was to blame for us not winning any of the 2 gfs then i agree that you don't have any idea too !

And for the record i too have supported the club for 40years

Status
Not open for further replies.