Josh Reynolds opens up about what it is like to be coached by Ivan Cleary after Des Hasler

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh Reynolds opens up about what it is like to be coached by Ivan Cleary after Des Hasler

JOSH Reynolds has opened up about what it is like to be coached by the “relaxed” Ivan Cleary after his days with Des Hasler.

And while the Wests Tigers recruit clearly hasn’t forgiven Canterbury for their lack of “respect”, what is also obvious is that Reynolds doesn’t miss some of the mind games he left behind.

Asked what it was like to be coached by Cleary, Reynolds’ response was interesting.

“He just lets you do your thing which is good,” Reynolds said.

“He might have a word here and there.

“But from where I have come from, game day usually for me was the best day but before it was really hard.

“Now with Ivan I just feel a lot more relaxed. He lets you relax. As a player, I need to relax. You can think about the game but not constantly. He doesn’t hound you. He lets you be yourself.

CULTURE: How Cleary cleaned up Tigers

PREVIEW: Stability ahead with Dogs’ shuffle to pay off

Josh Reynolds says he is more relaxed under coach Ivan Cleary.
“I have been here with Ivan for only four or five months but ever since the first meeting we had I just knew that he was a straight shooter. He won’t beat around the bush. He will tell you exactly what he thinks and I like that.

“Sometimes in life you get people or coaches or coaching staff who will tell you are going good for the wrong reasons.

“But Ivan will actually tell you what you need to work on, or if you are going good.

“He has been really good and I am sure our relationship as coach and player can just grow.”

Reynolds said it wasn’t that the Bulldogs didn’t offer him a deal to stay, it’s the way they went about it that still hurts.

“I won’t lie, they did offer me a contract,” Reynolds said.

“I won’t go too far into it but I felt I put a fair bit into that club.

“I am not the greatest player in the world.

“But it is not the money. It is just a bit of respect.

“Whoever made that decision, it was a bit of a kick in the guts. But that is just how it goes these days. Now I am looking ahead.

“I am being brutally honest. When it happened I was shattered.

James Graham and Josh Reynolds greet the crowd after their last game for the Bulldogs.
“But I honestly can say that I have made the right decision.”

At 28, Reynolds has joined the Tigers on a four-year deal but feels he has plenty of “good years in me”.

“I really do,” he said.

“I feel like I know the game a lot better now. I am never going to lose what I have in the energy. But I just feel in a game sense I am learning a lot more from a guy like Benji and just people around the club.”

While the Tigers have an extremely tough start to the 2018 season, playing all the top four teams from last year including Melbourne twice in the opening five rounds, Reynolds did not offer up any excuses.

“I hate playing a victim,” he said.

“I really don’t like people who play the victim. I still talk to a couple of the Doggies’ boys, their start is tough.

“I was speaking to Luke Lewis last week, the Sharks have to go to Townsville.

“Is that an easy start?

“You can either go into round one and say if we win, maybe ... stuff that.

“Let’s go in against all their gun players and who knows what’s going to happen.”

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone else had enough of the sob stories. He's hurt about bulldogs contract negotiations, lack of respect blah blah blah. Its done now, move on, you're a week away from playing for your new club.

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Dogs were offering him whats his form warranted, it was his descision to grab the overs money wests offered.
If you played consistantly like thurston or cronk or morgan and can close out games you would be worth that money josh, still respect the guy for his efforts.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The Dogs offered you a contract but you got greedy and wanted well above your market value, a value the Dogs were not prepared to meet. Tigers (being the blind fools they are), got desperate and offered you the money you wanted, rather than the amount you are worth.

Reynolds is going to look like a real dickhead shooting his mouth off when it's mid season and he's been a complete and utter flop.

The bloke has passion, that's it. He can't organise a side, and his performances are inconsistent (and that's being kind).

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Reynolds Is right when he says he isn’t the greatest. However under a Good coach he will shine.

Godberts told you all Hasler was the cancer.
Like we didn't already know!! Lol

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fark me. People feel free to criticize any aspect of the club they like, but when Reynolds does he's an asshole. The hypocrisy here is beyond belief. As far as we know the club made him an extremely low ball offer to force him to push his loyalty to the limit. In the end with all the shit said about him on here over the years it probably wasn't all that much of a tough decision. He's not the first player to have taken the money on offer, but he's certainly shown more honor than a lot of guys that have left. I've always had respect for Reynolds and this poorly constructed article won't change that.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fark me. People feel free to criticize any aspect of the club they like, but when Reynolds does he's an asshole. The hypocrisy here is beyond belief. As far as we know the club made him an extremely low ball offer to force him to push his loyalty to the limit. In the end with all the shit said about him on here over the years it probably wasn't all that much of a tough decision. He's not the first player to have taken the money on offer, but he's certainly shown more honor than a lot of guys that have left. I've always had respect for Reynolds and this poorly constructed article won't change that.
Oh Please

He has given several interviews since leaving, criticizing Hasler & the way the Dogs went about contract negotiations etc.

From what I have heard the Dogs offered him the going pay, but the Tigers offer way over his odds.

He left for the money. Wish he was honest & admit it.

Several players from other clubs have stayed at their club getting less than what other teams have offered.

Hope he builds a bridge & gets over it.

He should show respect to the Dogs for keeping him for so long, when he was down on form etc.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably the wrong time to stick the boot in to the club and look for a hug on the back of Folkesy’s death

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dogs offered you a contract but you got greedy and wanted well above your market value
You know Market Value is the price the market is willing to pay. The fact Reynolds managed to get a contract pretty quickly from the Tigers say that we offered below market value. The prices for certain positions is heavily inflated at the moment and none more-so than Halves.

I don’t know if it is smart for Reynolds to come out and say negative things about Des, a huge issue supporters had was with Des’s loyalty to players like Reynolds. Also not smart to talk up a new coaches method before you are halfway through a season (this goes for our players as well) being relaxed and playing shitter than before will make you look pretty stupid if you spent the whole preseason talking yourself up.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He really does need to get over it. But i wont criticise the guy too much. People need to realise that the "journalists"/fucking hacks ask the questions and write the articles while choosing the quotes they want to use. He is just answering questions, and by the sound of it he is kind of trying to be as vague as possible. Its just a pain in the ass that these hacks keep trying to push the same fucking questions.
The horse is already dead!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tigers tried to cut us by offering overs to Reynolds as revenge for us signing woods. What they didn’t bank on though, was we didn’t give a fuck.
Reynolds will be the tigers t-Rex.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This **** needs to ban himself from the media he just talks so much shit and doesnt deliver

Status
Not open for further replies.